Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Irritating?

Default Something Irritating?

I've just been watching the HD vids, and it looks delicious- but my only concern is the announcer woman. Is my mind going mad, or does she announce weapons being fired at and around you, rather than the weapons you pick up? It seems strange, and I found it intensely annoying. I don't think I can play a game if all I hear is CANNON, QUAKE, CANNON every two seconds.

Can someone clear it up for me?

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

She is. Has done since Pure.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

This was done for almost every WipEout but Fusion.
    You get used to it very quickly; you don't need anyone who tells you your own weapons - you will learn the symbols very fast so there's no need for it.
    Nothing can tell you faster what you've picked up than your eyes anyway.

It helps a lot if you know there's going to be a bomb or whatever by a voice telling you.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

You know, by somthing irritating, I thought you meant me for a second...

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

That could never happen.

'Something Irritating This Way Comes'? I didn't know Ray Bradbury had written a sequel. It's good that he's still writing at his advanced age. I must look for that one. Irritation is a lot more common than wickedness, and must be counteracted more frequently.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Here's me thinking that, now that the Utah Saints have re-issued Something Good, Something Irritating was the obvious progression!

I love that album; found the original CD second-hand at the record shop next to the grocery where I worked at the time. Trance Atlantic Flight is probably my fave track on it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

This was done for almost every WipEout but Fusion.
    I'm pretty sure the wip3out woman also told you what weapon you picked up. She instead said "WARNING!" everytime when something was coming.

Yes, in W3O, she announced what you picked up, while in WO2, the robot voice announced what was being fired at you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

"Something Good '08" is indeed something good, by the way.

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Ive got that single a lil while ago. Utah Saints did a song in Wipeout Fusion called "Sick".

Im gonna go off the topic a bit does anyone know if "1983 (Eric Prydz Remix) by Paolo Mojo is avaliable in a Single yet?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

There evidently must have been something, because it's on the 2007 annual. It could be a b side. Sweet song though.

I guess that's why it seems so weird to me. I think I sunk about 200 hours into Wipeout 3, and 100 into Wipeout Fusion- so other than a few dabbles in Pure when I had a PSP, the Wipeout HD system seems very strange to me.

I'm seriously worried. It's awful. How can anyone live with that, when there are so many weapons fired all the time, that woman constantly shouting what's coming at you? Gah. Is there an option to turn it off?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Yeah, you just get so far ahead of them that they can't target you with weapons anymore. 8 D

Timezone
    GMT + 8

I personally don't mind the voice, it beats being hit by something that came out of nowhere AND you had a sheild waiting to be used. Gets a bit hairy with Eliminator events, though

Is it just me, or does the announcer's voice in Pulse seem to get more anxious/nervous the closer the ship with the weapon is? Normally all I hear is 'Missile' but sometimes I hear a 'MISSILE!' instead.

Yeah, that's a bit tricky to convey through text, but hopefully you guys will know what I'm on about. Hopefully...

PSN ID
    AVENGER2197

I've noticed it too...it's very, very subtle though. You really have to listen for it. Never been bothered in the least bit by the voice, as I'm too busy trying to not hit the walls, or blow-up.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

I don't think the voice is as irritating as some make it out to be...my personal opinion. I actually do value my sexy onboard anti-gravity craft computer female voice warning me in its most calmest and coolest of tones when I'm about to be jacked by some punk behind me who has been itchy with his/her missile trigger finger. What does bother me though is my reaction time to all this, I'm usually so entranced by the speed and neons plastered all over the tracks whilst trying not to hit the walls, by the time I do manage to hear the call over all the hum-drum of the environment, it's too late, I have 3 rockets buried into my exhaust pipe...

Maybe SL has included a voice volume control to set the intensity of the weapon calls???

Also, funny how someone brought up the fact that in Wip3out, the call was for the weapon you got and not the approaching weapon, cause I got really confused and frustrated as well...you would think that the calls would be to warn you and not to state the obvious...I mean, if you've played the game long enough, the symbols are enough to tell you what you have locked and loaded...

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I definitely prefer to have her warn you about stuff being fired at you -- there are nice big icons telling you what you've picked up!

(Maybe we could have two voices, one male and one female, dividing the duties of telling you what you've picked up and what's coming at you...)

What I do dislike, however, is the quality of the voices. Both the man counting down from three and the woman announcing the weapons are inferior to the voices in Pure and Pulse. Bring those two back!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    (Maybe we could have two voices, one male and one female, dividing the duties of telling you what you've picked up and what's coming at you...)
    No. Bad idea. Really bad. Very very bad. I have enough of it already when the woman warns me about every friggin Cannon bullet being fired behind me, and then skipping the Quakes or the Missiles because of them. Specially when I have a shield ready. So very bad idea.:-
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 30th May 2008 at 05:28 PM.