Thread: Explain "single race" time records to me...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Default Explain "single race" time records to me...

I love time trialing but Wipeout is the first franchise I've played that has records for single races events.

So I want to start working on single race time trial entries but am a bit uncertain about implementation. In no particular order, here are some questions:

1. Do online race records count towards one's times, or is it only offline races?

2. Are the lap and race times "tied" in some fashion (e.g., the laps for one's best race, or vice versa)?

3. The variance between races would seem to be higher for single race mode than other time trial modes, because of the large potential impact of obtain item and weapon pickups, which are determined at random. So how much effort do folks in general put into single race mode?

Any comments or suggestions about single race TTs would be much appreciated

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

I put effort into SR simply because I don't race TT (madness!)
    I race all the modes apart from head to head and TT.

1. I doubt online races would count to records, however I'm not sure.
    2. Yes, the best lap comes from your best race.
    3. See start of post
    Last edited by rdmx; 5th May 2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Clarity :P

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Online races does not count!, because, I did alot of tests and still checking.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your input

I would have figured that online races don't count because it introduces so many additional factors to the game-- the number of opponents, their skill levels, etc. And yet, when playing online, doesn't the game report "new lap record" when you race a new best lap time? So the game tells you "new lap record" but it doesn't actually count?

Couple other related questions...

If single race records involve offline play only, and one wants to set a records for single race, should one ALWAYS turn the AI to "dumb"? I mean, what is the point of jockeying with "hard" AI for the first lap if the goal is to get the fastest lap and race time?

Also-- what exactly does the North American release of Wipeout Pulse fix vis a vis race records? Or put another way, what is the problem with the PAL version and single race records?

Edit-- and what about head-to-head and WEAPONLESS single races? Do these figure at all into single race records?

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Pal records is broken which NA is fixed and that is why I`m using NA now.

The Hard mode, I did tried the easy mode and yes it did break my times but I always put hard mode on and still break my times as well. Unless you will need to master your skills. That is why, Online does help you in a good way.

And the other, I`m not too sure about that but I don`t think that counts as well.

Hope that help you?

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Thanks much, Stevie, for you insights!

Just want to make sure I understand the situation with regards to single race records in Wipeout Pulse. So the PAL version of Pulse is broken because DNF runs are treated like a "real" time when done in a tournament? And the official Wipeout website has been changed to NOT take the broken times but with a PAL version of the game, you can't fix your record? And by using the North American copy of the game, the whole situation is rectified, AND you can use your game save data from the PAL version of the game with no problems?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I believe you have it spot-on, yes!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    I mean, what is the point of jockeying with "hard" AI for the first lap if the goal is to get the fastest lap and race time?
    To add to the challenge. Some players like to be challenged offline as well.

Usually I'll take the first two laps to just beat them up or get them far from me, and then go for the record on a 3rd or later lap, depending on racing class.

Besides, if the AI is too dumb, then its almost like Time Trial, but only with annoying slowpokes possibly blocking speed pads or weapon pads (and thus possible turbos )

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate your input

If single race records involve offline play only, and one wants to set a records for single race, should one ALWAYS turn the AI to "dumb"? I mean, what is the point of jockeying with "hard" AI for the first lap if the goal is to get the fastest lap and race time?
    The faster and angrier are the opponents, the better you should race. (in theory, because I never challenged online and AI pilots are my only opponents..)
    And the race experience gain its benefits..