Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WipeOut Pure is better than WipeOut Pulse

Guess Who's Back!? Anyways, I find Wipeout Pulse to beat Wipeout Pure with one simple punch: Online. XLink and other software apps may have simulated it for Pure, but Pulse brought droves of fans together to face off for the first time in it's 10 year legacy. However, I do wish that Pulse had more teams (preferably a certain American one).

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Agreed, that and the fact they should not be charging for something like that, its ridiculous.

I have strong doubts about there actually being a PS2 version of pulse, and if so, expect it to be identical to the PSP, save for some tweaks to the graphics and controls

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    TheEchthroi

I didn't play Pure too long but yes it was much harder somehow. Pulse on the other hand, for some reason, when you get that speed boost in the beginning...it doesnt do nearly as much as it would normally during the race if you somehow managed to boost for any reason. In pure, you get that head start and you can win easy just for getting away with it. =P

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The AI accelerate faster in Pulse, yes, to compensate for the quick get-ahead you could achieve in PurE.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

I don't get you guys, about that get-ahead.
    I think that it's way to harder to leave opponent in Pure than in Pulse on hard difficulty.
    The AI accelerates faster in Pure, on the beginning...

PSN ID
    GreenPhazon

I always preferred the more 'traditional' tournament-style campaign in Pure (especially the 16 race ones) as opposed to the grid-style of Pulse and HD. I wish there were more tournaments in Pulse and HD.

PSN ID
    kgb1971

They got the start more balanced in Pulse, in Pure you could get a fast start, be clear of the pack only to have them all overtake you again which was just ridiculous. Everyone seems to have a more equal start in Pulse.

I personally like the grid system in Pulse. Endlessly looking at your profile in Pure was a pain. I like the tracks better on Pure, the ones on Pulse are a bit dark and oppressive.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

Endlessly looking at your profile in Pure was a pain.
    This would have been less of a pain if you'd been able to, when looking at your profile, just press the X button to immediately jump to that race. I'm so glad they implemented this in Pulse, even if the courses were suddenly in a much less regular order. I ended up making my own custom raceboxes with courses in an easy-to-understand order.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

Wipeout Pure is a good game but it makes my eyes very tired in a short time. I dont know why and I cant play it for a long time

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    JuiceStickers

I bought a new PSP-3000 and Pure a little over a week ago. LOVED IT TO DEATH!!! I spent at least 3 sleepless nights in the past week playing through Pure's amazing levels. I downloaded the all the packs the day after I bought it. And unlocked phantom that day, also. Pure was fast, it was beautiful, it was innovative, and the physics were much smoother and "wipeout-ish" then Pulse's.

Picked up Pulse today, so far the tracks are very uninspiring. And I'm not a huge fan of the style
    But I'm gonna stick with it. Maybe it's an aquired taste. Either way, look for me online in the next couple months. As soon as I get off my bum to install that wireless router

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Hehe, well Pure physics are probably more "Wipeout" than Pulse, yes. I can see why players from the older games (and Pure) might not like the way Pulse feels. I'm not really a hardcore Wipeout series fan (or of any other racing games), so that doesn't matter to me though. Pure has some cool tracks and a great atmosphere too.

But Pulse is the best!
    It's definitely worth sticking with for it's feeling of speed (feels faster than Pure), balanced ship selection (yes, they're all good!), online racing, more reliable barrel rolls, and loads more.
    Play both games - they're both amazing in their own way.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Pure looks pretty... if you're gonna stop and admire the views though - gah

Pulse, on the other hand - it rules! The game physics, online readiness, and awesome tracks like Metropia, DeKon, Tech de Ra, Talons, Moa, Platinum Rush, Amphiseum and even OutPost 7 - ruled! Online = addiction (if anyone is racing/not quitting)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Well, I don't know where to start, because I want to stay on topic, even though I have a lot more to say than just add my 2 cents about that question.
    I would like to say first, and after my little experiment of these past few days, that I've been fooled. Why? Because these two games are... good yes, but they're running like **** with the official firmware. I thought it was only the case with the -pulse- online universe, but for the first time I tried some speed lap on pulse, with my friend's psp. And oh my god, and without any little warm-up before, I lowered all my phantom times on the tracks I tried by 0.20/0.30 secs. Why I'm saying that now, well, just because some guys here denied -or didn't mention- the fact CF was a lethal weapon offline too. Kandang even declared himself wipeout god in a poll, I remember. Hope he was kidding. Because I spent -well let me check- 262 hours in speed lap mode, with a crappy framerate. And I'm realizing now we never played the same game. Believe me, Jaytech is REALLY not a big deal compared to that. Sony's fault. I can't understand why they're not releasing an OF with the possibility to lock cpu's speed to 333/166. This is insane. I've never heard any report of damaged psp due to this clock speed. Never. They have NO REASON to f**k up our psp like that. Pure & Pulse deserve really better. After this experiment, I won't go back to Pure or Pulse with my psp.
    And finally, to go back on topic, I'm prefering pulse because of the better framerate -even with OF lol-, despite the fact pure has better tracks.
    Rob I'm sorry for mentioning again this CF stuff, but I was completely devastated to see how much these two games are different regarding the way your psp is running.
    Last edited by kanar; 1st January 2010 at 05:55 PM.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Wow! You really hated it that much on ofw?
    Since I got my 2nd PSP for ofw use, I've only really been using my CFW one as an mp3 player, for some homebrew games, and also for my beloved retro emulators. When I first went back to Pulse on ofw, I noticed it looked a little choppy, but not enough to really ruin the gameplay. But then I was often clocked at default (same as ofw) anyway, for various reasons. I haven't played Phantom TT on my ofw PSP yet, because I haven't unlocked all the tracks yet on my ofw-only Memory Stick, but I have got personal online bests on most tracks recently, as well as a few no.1s on the slower speeds while playing the grids. I'll get the tracks unlocked soon, and see for myself if Phantom TT is really that much worse. Should be interesting.
    I've also tried Pure on my CFW PSP, clocked at default, and also at 222 (just out of curiousity), and found that yes, it looked , but BRs still worked, my ship was still going the same speed, my inputs were working. I'm not much of a Pure player though, so perhaps it makes a difference to the fastest players...
    Personally, I still don't really care about CFW or Jaytech, but since I'm now on ofw and I've never used Jaytech anyway, at least I don't have to deal with this stuff anymore.

I agree with you 100% about Sony ****ing it's customers like always though . Sony allowed developers to use 333 since one of the later 3.xx official firmwares, so pretty much all new games are at this clock speed. So yes, they have no reason not to unlock this speed to everybody.

On topic - Pure is awesome (even on ofw), but sorry, Pulse is the best!!!

edit: I'm really out of practice with Phantom TT, but I did just manage a 1:40.29 on Metropia Black using ofw, with one really bad lap costing me around a second (and a new record). Not quite my best time (1:39.89), but still 0.1 faster than INFAXSU's 2nd place record. So now I know ofw can still compete on wipeout-game.com, even if it looks ugly as .
    Last edited by MrSmadSmartAlex; 2nd January 2010 at 01:19 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    And oh my god, and without any little warm-up before, I lowered all my phantom times on the tracks I tried by 0.20/0.30 secs
    Damn you !!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Kanar, you think that CFW strongly affects SL/TT modes? I thought that the impact on these modes was trivial, while SR was strongly affected.

Quote Originally Posted by kanar View Post
    I've never heard any report of damaged psp due to this clock speed. Never. They have NO REASON to f**k up our psp like that. Pure & Pulse deserve really better.
    I don't think the concern is hardware, it is software. Supposedly some games don't function correctly when run at 333, so Sony is unlikely is unlikely to unlock 333 with OFW :/

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    Kanar, you think that CFW strongly affects SL/TT modes? I thought that the impact on these modes was trivial, while SR was strongly affected.
    You have no idea how much it's affecting SL/TT, online or any mode you're playing yeah. Of course my racing log is kinda huge (at least 2000/3000 laps, maybe more, haven't checked for a while, on each white tracks, made all my pulse "career" with OF btw), so when I tested for the first time some speed lap at 333/166, I first believed I was on hd (60 fps). -0.10 or 0.20 secs easily on each track... Without much practice. Oh for sure, when I showed to a friend of mine at work, who doesn't play games except some great wii stuff like Rayman Raving Rabbids, he didn't notice the difference at first sight. But for this great hardcore wipeout-dedicated community, it should be obvious, and now the wipeout-game rankings have no more secrets for me lol.

And well I don't know if it's a software problem, I've never heard about any issue with any games when running at 333/166. Pure was never built to run at 333/166, for example, & I've never heard about any crashing report. But I'll tend to agree with you, cos' there's for sure a good reason to bridle our hardware like that.

By the way, we should stop talking about that stuff, I felt some truth has to be said on that matter i.e wipeout-game rankings definitive explanation, but now I don't want to abuse of Rob & mod's patience. I already went too far, so I apologise for bringing back that crap who killed pure & pulse fair competition.
    Last edited by kanar; 7th January 2010 at 09:28 AM.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Well I'm sorry to Rob/mods too, because I didn't intend to discuss CFW on here (and I'll try not to in this post), but it's pretty obvious I'm one of the people this is directed at, as I currently hold the majority of Phantom TT records on wipeout-game (sorry if that sounds like bragging - not my intention).
    Improving your laps by 0.1 is by no means a "definitive explanation" of anything!
    Also, 2000-3000 laps is not a huge racing log - I have over 3000 laps on my ofw PSP alone, and I only got that in November. Just loaded up my CFW PSP to check my (separate) profile on there, and there's over 40000 laps on it (and this is bearing in mind that I restart as soon as I make a record ruining mistake, and not counting the 4500 or so online races I've had), so perhaps that's a better "definitive explanation" of why I have those times. Dunno about KANDANG or INFAXSU, but I'd imagine Flashback Jack has something similar to this too.
    I'm playing TT on ofw right now, and it's not costing me any time - in fact, I'm likely to beat my current Arc Prime White record by the end of the day, judging from my best laps. But then I've clearly been branded a cheat now, ofw or not, so I don't know why I'm even bothering to reply to this...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

That post wasn't directed at you. Clearly a bad move from my part, when I'm reading your feedback. I had that in mind, especially the part when Mad-Ice asked to Flashback how he was playing this game.

Big congratulations for holding these records, tbh I didn't check the wipeout-game rankings for a while now. I think you misunderstood my post. I've improved my times easily, only in a few sessions, without any previous practice at all (I'm on hd since its release, remember). You're right, sometimes by a few tenth, sometimes a little bit more, of course not by 10 secs, but that wasn't my point. I just wondered why it was so easy for me to beat times I made AGES to reach. About my racing log, if you need more details, there's some tracks I loved more than others, for example tech de ra (7451 laps), Platinum (6276), Talon (5324), O7 (4053), but wasn't my point too. Clearly can't be compared to yours. You gave me a lot of details about your great racing log, I've never doubted it would be far more consistent as mine, regarding your achievement (I remember this teamlink division session where you kicked lots of a***s, big time lol). I've never doubted of your skills Ben, as arch's skills, as Kandang, as Flashback, and as a lot of fantastic pilots who played this game the way it should have been played by everyone. Now if you're on your way to beat every single record you have, in OF now (TT or SL), I can just say and all my apologies for my previous input. I will be really -honestly- glad to see all your future new records in the wipeoutzone ranking table. Because you just worth it. But I'll still have this simple argument, which was my point right from the start; turn your two psps on, run pulse, same track, same settings, and tell me honestly which one attract you the most.
    Last edited by kanar; 7th January 2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: damn f*****g to speak english when it's not your mother-tongue

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmadSmartAlex View Post
    But Pulse is the best!
    It's definitely worth sticking with for it's feeling of speed (feels faster than Pure), balanced ship selection (yes, they're all good!), online racing, more reliable barrel rolls, and loads more.
    Yeah!
    Under the point of ship selection, their balancements is a masterpiece indeed.
    Every ship in Pulse is good, balanced, and very representative of its own team: for example, Assegai in Pulse is very balanced but Harimau, a little similar, is more oriented in handling than Assegai...and this represents an excellent good point.
    And some ships presents some excellent forms of balancements: Qirex, slow thrust but with good speed, good handling and excellent shield is totally different from an Assegai or an Auricom, same thrust and shield as Qirex but a bit more fast, but this represents a serious loss of handling...and every ship with an extremism has its Achilles'heel: Goteki 45, for example, has the maximum thrust but medium handling or Icaras, with the highest speed/accelleration/handling relationship available but very low shield....or, Piranha (yes, at this time am using a lot), top speed and high shield but slow thrust and poor handling.
    This is very good at all.
    In Pure some ships are really futile: Puma 2 for example, good but its the same ship as Auricom ....but Pure presents an excessive number of ships with an abuse of "3/5" in the racing parameters, and this makes me feel slightly irritaded.
    Other ship in Pure for me are overpowered, like Tigron or Puma 1, but Pulse also have this kind of problem: for example, AG-Systems in Pulse is too much overpowered: excellent thrust and handling with good shields...excellent ship indeed, but I gotta admit that it's too easy to win with this ship .
    AG Systems in Pulse has not its historical weak point: the weak shield...
    Tracks: honestly every WipEout game for PSP hat its excellent tracks, but I prefer the Pure'tracks...but it's true that the Pulse track are awesome as the same as Pure's tracks!
    This is only a personal preference, but..."Orcus", in Pulse...one of the baddest tracks in WipEout history!
    Final: Pure for me is an excellent game as Pulse they are 2 different games, and this makes me very satisfied.
    Last edited by XpanDrome2097; 7th January 2010 at 10:27 PM.