Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WipeOut Pure is better than WipeOut Pulse

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

What's a "Burger Town"? Does it have anything to do with these "Omega Packs" I've heard so much about?

Back on topic, I find it shocking that after playing just Pulse for about five months, a switch back to playing Pure isn't really that hard. I didn't have to re-learn much, I just had to know the ships don't have hair-trigger steering in Pure as they do in Pulse.

the ships are balanced time wise for time trial, that is for sure. I would like to see them balanced for ARcade race/mulitiplayer instead. The ships need to be balanced for one or the other I am starting to learn. Noone will take a piranha into a multiplayer tourney, and even have a prayer against 3 high acceleration ships (with equal pilots). It's race over within about 10 seconds, after you hit the entire slew of mines,bombs. Even though in Time trial the ships come out to about the same time (phantom) over a 5 lap race, why in the hell would you ever choose an Piranha or Triakis, when they are much harder to pilot to get those times. There has to be a reason to pilot the faster ships, meaning they actually need to be faster, and have a chance to win after the first 10 seconds. Because even if the faster ships somehow catches up by lap 4 (both ships racing perfectly with no weapon hits), they had to race considerably better to get there due to the loose handling, and they still have a much higher chance to hit the wall after that. Even using an Triakis in pure against 4 other competitors has a disadvantage, and that ship is probably 3-4 seconds faster over the course of a medium turn kind of course. The Triakis is closer to what it should be in pulse, but still not there. So, I really don't care about time trial being equal, I'll just get records with all of the ships, but for single race, there should be a reason to choose all of the ships. I wrote a chart up of what I think would work and make the ships win the same amount of times with weapons on , but am not going to post it now because I have some other stuff to do.

So, in closing, balance the mulitplayer/arcade race, not the time trial. Make every ship a viable option, and have advantages. It's the pilots driving that will make the advantages work, or not work

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Jacques Villeneuve made a racing game with cars that were all the same, only the driving mattered. It was pretty good.

It was released for all platforms I think (I have it on PC, just don't know where I put it). So if you have a PS2 and want to try it out, it's available on it too.
    Obviously it is very different than Wipeout, but if you like balanced games, well that's one of them.

/Offtopic

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    imkwheet

all of this is false

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    Heian_Xavier

I agree with all of you about the oversteering in Pulse, and how you're pulled into the wall all the time. Pure is much more pleasant in that regard.

Pulse also seems to cheaply make things more difficult by having lots of dark, low-visibility tracks. I don't like having to memorize where the course is going to go, just to get through it.

OTOH, I'm looking forward to making some custom ship skins. Zone's dull metal boringness is no fun!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

i dont mind pulses oversteering, just because im really good at it, but i think puer is way over the top in other regards. pulse has touchy steering, while pure you have to bully around almost every corner and theres soooo much turning slow down, you definetly dont get the feeling of going realllly fast in pure like you do in pulse. i'd like the turning to go back to how it was in XL/2097,maybe a little bit like 3...whos with me!

Quote Originally Posted by a friend in speed View Post
    all of this is false
    Could you be more specific?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostE View Post
    i'd like the turning to go back to how it was in XL/2097,maybe a little bit like 3...whos with me!
    That would not be a problem at all. But stick with XL mechanics, those were perfect aside from the shortcuts that could be taken as a result of archaic programming.

One of the reasons I initially listed as to why I liked Pure more than Pulse was because I felt the levels in Pure were much more impressive and inspired

now I feel vindicated...apparently Wipeout HD uses 6 tracks from Pure and only 2 from Pulse

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I agree, the track graphics in Pure were a lot 'fresher' between tracks than in Pulse. But Pulse has so much features Pure does not that it becomes even again if you take every + and - about both games into consideration.

What was better in Pulse in your opinion?
    Last edited by Task; 2nd January 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Deleted quotation of preceding post

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Online worldwide, for one. Skin customization. Grid system for the campaign. Speed of the game (Pulse is faster than Pure). Better Barrel rolls (Although still not perfect). Improved texture resolution. Less framerate drops and screen tearing. Eliminator mode. More Zone tracks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

pulse imo is better. its got that more raw in your face speed. pure just feels sluggish even on phantom.

but everybody knows that nothing beats WO 1 and XL/2097

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Personally the only thing i can think of as leading to people thinking that Pure is better than Pulse is one of or both of the following:

1 - Pulse failed to sell (or so i've heard from the same type of websites who poke the voodoo doll hoping for a Sony failure), this only counts if your a complete and utter lemming who follows the crowd.

2 - Pulse is alot tougher than Pure, usually this leads a select minority of people to give up and then go around saying 'this game sucks, i can't even play it'.

3 - master bruce is right on one thing, the tracks in Pure were in some cases more vissually impressive than Pulse, there are one or two tracks which are quite frankly abit rank (basilico & arc prime).

However, all in all it is pretty obvious to most people that Pulse did raise the bar higher than Pure had set it, if the rubbish from the anti-sony-media is true than it is well and truly a big shame that it did not do well sales wise, i personally feel it should have been advertised more publicly.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

The problem I think is that Sony still fails to understand the concept of advertising. Personally I think a Wipeout advert on TV would do wonders, sadly this probably will never happen.
    Microsoft had some adverts about Ninja Gaiden which is one of the hardest games I know of, so why can't WO? They're both hard, but they define the platform (Long time franchises)... Sony needs to advertise new and big releases, or else it just won't work sales wise... (LittleBigPlanet... If you have a PS3 you've got to try it, it's OSUM! )

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

agreed, there needs to be more of a marketing push from sony, regardless of whether or not they are saving it all up for xmas 2009

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

Quote Originally Posted by swift killer View Post
    2 - Pulse is alot tougher than Pure, usually this leads a select minority of people to give up and then go around saying 'this game sucks, i can't even play it'.
    IMO pure is more difficult than pulse. In pulse controls are more 'responsive', you're not on ice like on pure ('ice feel' was the problem for me the first few times when i played it...now i like it very much!).

Then again, IMO there is not better or worse, in my slimmy knowledge of playing each one of then i came to a conclusion that you just need to get in with it, and start to like it. I did succeed in that, and now I enjoy either pulse or pure. They are worlds away in terms of similarity, to me.

Cheers, arch.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by archman View Post
    you're not on ice like on pure
    You're not on ice... you're on air! It's even slipperier!
    Is that a word?

Anyway, the thing you're talking about is called momentum.

It's one of my favourite features of Wipeout, momentum is what makes the game feel 'right' to me and allows the best maneuvers (throwing yourself around a sharp corner with full airbrakes at maximum throttle).

WO1 had this in serious supply, in WOXL and then WO3 it was less noticable but still there. Fusion didn't have it. Pure has lots, Pulse hardly any.

And yes, if I had to bring it down to one factor, I would say momentum is what makes Pure better than Pulse.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

I think the better aspects of pure were the track designs and the handling, having said that, being able to floor it round every single turn at full throttle is just showing that things are a tad bit to easy, i think SL tried to introduce more of a skill element in pulse.

In racing game terms, it is pretty bonkers that a game allows you to simply go flatout round the tightest turns, it takes away the precision involved.

That's just my impression, im more of a real motorsports guy, i like realism and I hate seeing what i like to call 'gamer antics' in racers, these being;

- scraping round every wall to get round a turn.

- mindlessly going flat out through all turns.

- no concept or idea of racing line or racing etiquette, ie; ramming and charging flat out into everyone as if it was burnout.

This kindof thing i find is a HUGE problem on GT5P and Forza2 when playing online, they should really partition the 'gamers' from the 'racers', but im starting to stray off topic now.

What im trying to say is that i dont like the idea of a game letting you go flatout around every turn, to me it either shows something wrong with the game, being too arcadey, or being too easy.

I find piloting in pulse much easier for the whole. The grip is probably too much. The most slippery ship in pulse, still has more grip than the feisar in HD. I like pure's tracks better as well, more bumps, getting into the air feels more like wipeout. Pulse sometimes feels like a car racing game, where pitch (besides holding foward all the time) doesn't mean a thing. That said, The speed is considerable better than pure, and the options for easy to hard is better. The barrel rolls are better. I used to like pulse more, but now they are kinda even for me. I'm really hoping for that ps2 game to come out with ALL the tracks, and HD's handling, now that would be something. It would be better than hd, even with worse graphics.