Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WipeOut Pure is better than WipeOut Pulse

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Swizerland is awesome!
    I've been there twice, although my uncle that lives there is a complete control freak, he wouldn't let me watch bruce almighty for god's sake!
    Oh, and in my opinion, Doctor Who has gone downhill this series.

anyway, back on topic.
    I prefer pure, but I'm better at pulse, pulse is also more suited to zone mode due to the directness of the steering.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by Harvai View Post
    I bought Pure a few days ago and I have to disagree with a few people here. I don't rate Pure above Pulse at all.

The handling is RUBBISH. Well, not really rubbish, but not very wipeout either. Too much back-end sliding for my liking, and the speed loss because of it. Maybe I should play it a bit more, but you know what they say about first impressions...
    The tracks are alright. Like Pulse, there's a few 'meh' tracks, but to me, Pure has more of these. The only standout track I've seen thus far is Sol 2. Reminds me of Oodesa Keys.

The menu system, however, is better than Pulse. Has a kinda W3 feel to it.
    That's my two cents anyway.
    That's exactly the impression I had when playing pure after two months on pulse, and that's because they're really different. I noticed that passing from pure to pulse is far less a "trauma" than in the opposite case. Anyway, as Lance said, first impression are often wrong, take your time and give pure what it deserves.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Huh, I posted that yesterday and I'm already starting to warm up to it more! Maybe the DLC has something to do with it, all those extra ships and tracks are awesome.
    Finally I can fly an Icarus and not have it plow into every corner!

The handling's still a bit touch-and-go, though

What's in the Omega pack? The .zip file I got it off (which was linked from the Pure area of the forums) had one corrupt file (which appears to be the main one) for the Omega pack.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

The Omega pack contains Tracks from 123Klan, Cardboy, Neil McFarlane (Paris Hair) And Jon Burgerman.

Ships: Klor - 123Klan
    Haironaut - Neil McFarlane
    Cardracer - Cardboy
    Turboweevil - Jon Burgerman

Also Contains Front - End Skins.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

To Harvai: if you can't find it anywhere, I'll be glad to send it to you by mail..

PSN ID
    backroom

Quote Originally Posted by Harvai View Post
    Reminds me of Oodesa Keys
    Odessa Keys is in the Classic 2 League in one of the download packs. It is probably quite different due to the change in physics engine but the essentials should still be there.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Odessa Keys is soooo different from 2097 compares to Pure`s classic

Pure`s are too easy to play....

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    KIGO1987

Pulse has gotta be better than Pure. Pulse has more of everything.

The driving dynamics of Pulse is a step above Pure. Wipeout Pure driving dynamics is more like driving a turbo petrol car, you take off then the surge kicks in later. While in Pulse the driving dynamics is more like a turbo diesel car where the power band kicks straight off the mark. Did anyone kinda understand that?

We need a remake off the Gare D'Europa race course from 2097. On some sorta expansion pack for pulse. That would be sweet.

PSN ID
    o_fluff

Thrust was one gripe from Pure which they did fix, which was nice. But Pulse frustrates me too much in terms of handling. Any game where your vehicle has an incessant urge to make out with the trackside walls at every given moment is not what I personally call fun.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Yeah. The improved thrust really is one of the good things about Pulse's handling.
    But in general Pulse's handling is too direct for me and I really miss the sliding from Pure. Since WO1 the crafts slid and with Fusion the handling changed and the game still isn't at the point it was before Fusions in terms of handling (and it will possibly never be again).
    But nonetheless the ships slid in every game but Pulse. At least they don't do it very much in Pulse. Assegai is the only craft that still offers a bit of Pure's handling. It's not too direct for me.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Max, are you sure you're playing the same Wipeout Pulse as I am? In all my times flying Assegai, I have had oversteer issues almost as bad as when I use the FEISAR - it doesn't do a lot of sliding but it definitely overturns into the inside wall quite a bit at low to medium speeds, and around long, slight, sweeping curves.

Then again, I could be talking a bunch of nonsense.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Let's say it this way: Assegai does the bad best for me EG.X was totally over-sensitive for me.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Quote Originally Posted by stin View Post
    Odessa Keys is soooo different from 2097 compares to Pure`s classic

Pure`s are too easy to play....

stevie
    I saw that. I was like HOLY CRAP ODESSA KEYS MUST PLAY! It's similar but different. I suppose they couldn't have it exactly the same, the physics engine might wreak havoc on it.

Besides Porto Koro (Which I think they improved) Odessa Keys is my favorite 'retro' track. Karbonis was a total letdown.
    Pure is starting to appeal to me the more I play it...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I'm hesitant to go back to Pure as I hear about people with newer firmware experiencing problems playing the game, especially with DLC on their Memory Stick.

It's tempting though.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

IIRC That was the early 3.xx versions, 3.95 plays fine on my psp.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

3.90 should too, I'm using 3.90 M33-3 and it works flawlessly. Apart from one crash yesterday but those already happened on old firmwares like 2.xx and 1.xx (When I first got my first PSP and PurE as the only game)

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Quote Originally Posted by omega329 View Post
    IIRC That was the early 3.xx versions, 3.95 plays fine on my psp.
    I've got 3.71, should I be worried? What kind of problems are we talking about here?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

No, think 3.11. I think 3.71 is safe, at least I've had no problems.
    The symptoms found are random freezes every now and then, something to do with the download packs.
    Here's the old discussion.
    http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3774

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Post Pure >> Pulse

Definitely.

I've been trying to get good at Pulse, and I've managed to get solid gold up to Phantom (wow, did that take more practice than I expected!), but I just can't find the motivation to really tackle it.

Pulse has lots of great features. The sheer number of tracks is literally overwhelming, the number of race modes is refreshing, the way you can fly any craft you choose and still manage record times (or as close to as you'll manage with any other ship!), so many excellent concepts are embedded in this game.

But I still can't get into it. The download packs definitely helped, flying Icaras is always an experience well worth the time, but the game itself is simply not gripping. It doesn't have the handling, the feeling of really piloting an AG racecraft that I'm looking for.

Pure OTOH?

While playing some multiplayer over the weekend we switched from Pulse to Pure because we agreed it was more fun. Getting back at it I was earning record times all over the place. Entering those times in today I thought to myself "I should probably take a good ship into SR and take a couple minutes to really try for some records. That way when I get a multiplayer record I'll know it's actually worth something and not just telling of how long it's been since I last played this track at this speed". An hour later, Alpha at Vector was done and I wanted to play more but I had to go.

Pure, I keep wanting to go back to. Pulse... not so much.

I think Pure might be my 3rd (maybe even 2nd!) favourite WO, but I know for certain that Pulse is my 2nd least favourite. It's definitely better than Fusion, but I can't rank it above anything else.

Really good points, I have to go along with that completely, even to the way you rank the PSP wipeouts. Pure would be my second favourite out of all Wipeout games for sure. Pulse is a worthy member of the Wipeout family, but it`s too twitchy, bangy and generally unsmooth to be much fun.

The ship balance in Pulse is a wonderful thing. The number of tracks is very generous (though for me it`s actually too many too soon - I don`t have time to really learn them all).

But nothing in Pulse can equal the sweet sensation of a storming Phantom lap of Koltiwa, Staten Park, Burgertown or even Exostra Run. I won`t try to work out why, it could run to pages.