Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: WipeOut Pure is better than WipeOut Pulse

PSN ID
    backroom

The one major thing I like about Pure that isn't in Pulse is that you can chose a 'custom race' single race or time trial and do all of them one after the other by selecting 'next track' and not reloading the main menu and re-choosing half your options for that race/series of races.

For me Pulse was a very hollow experience with the worst circuits of the series and mainly dull graphics. Zone mode in Pulse works very well tho. But the normal music is poor, Pures standard music is pretty good.
    Pure has great circuits, and enhanced more buy awesome downloadable content, the extras are superb!
    I also didnt like Pulse handling, like another said too direct and lacked the floaty feeling that Wipeout should have.
    I dont feel Pulse is awful, but it left me feeling cold and disappointed just like Wipeout 3 did.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

you can put your music in pulse=even the music of other wipeout titles!
    In multiplayer matches pulse is really, really balanced and funny..
    I know that i change my mind quite often, but now I really like tracks and track-design.
    The only "bad things" are tips in loading screens (EA style) and the difficulty, which is a bit too easy; but i know it's a good thing for noobs

I`m definitely in the Pure is better camp. I`m not really disappointed with Pulse and it improves a lot of things that were wrong with Pure, such as weapon balance in multiplayer, and would win in any lists of what the games have to offer. The ships in Pulse are beautiful and the graphical standard is great as ever, and in the end I don`t know why, but Pure just pushes my excitement buttons a lot more. It`s probably the tracks and the handling, and Max`s post sums it up for me.

PSN ID
    backroom

Talking about the tips:

The online multiplayer 'tip' says you can race in single race, tournament or in "exciting eliminator events"

Eliminator????? What a load of rubbish!!

Would be nice though, just virtually impossible at 25 kills one on one. It can take me over 25 minutes and 70 laps against the AI on hard, wave goodbye to your battery power if that happened online! I reckon online, one on one, eliminator could take at least 1 hour on phantom, less at the slower speed classes but easily 1 hour at phantom and maybe even rapier.

For me, one good thing about Pure was vector. Yes I know it is incredibally slow but it was just what I need at 1am after 2 hours of playing already and my reactions are slowing. Venom is alright but still not slow enough when you can't see because your eyes are half closed.

Hopefully, the next WipEout will see the return of vector, and maybe a sixth speed class?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I guess they had plans to make eliminator online but ran out of time, removing that loading screen would probably have cost more time which they didn't seem to have.

PSN ID

eliminator is a funny divertissement tough

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Quote Originally Posted by P52Smith View Post
    For me, one good thing about Pure was vector. Yes I know it is incredibally slow but it was just what I need at 1am after 2 hours of playing already and my reactions are slowing. Venom is alright but still not slow enough when you can't see because your eyes are half closed.
    I think that when your eyes instinctively close, it's time to put down the PSP and have some sleep.
    Last edited by Darkdrium777; 24th April 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Forgot quote

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

So now I just stopped playing it - like a month ago - it's jut not fun. It's no secret that I had a lot of criticism for Pulse, but I really gave it a try and played it very long, competed online, in challenges and wanted to like the game. But there's something about it, maybe what Sausehuhn described, that makes me read its box saying "wipEout", but unfortunately I can't really feel it and decided to stop wasting my time on it. So no Pulse for me anymore.

PSN ID

let's wait a couple of years and also pulse will be considered a classic.. It's just a matter of time

been playing Pulse using 333mh cpu power...what a difference! it made my driving better

Timezone
    GMT -5

How exactly did you do that?

On the topic, I believe both of them are amazing.
    Last edited by Asayyeah; 30th April 2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: unecessary quotation being eliminated : please read the guidelines

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

By using custom firmware, you can modify in what is called the Recovery mode the CPU speed used in game and on the XMB. You can leave it to default, which will then use the CPU power the game was coded for, or force it to 333Mhz, using more battery but enabling a much smoother experience on games that were designed only to use the first 266Mhz of the CPU.
    I've tried PurE that way, and it does feel a lot smoother, although the frames are not locked on the game and you can therefore see some image tearing at some times (Especially in first person view) because the processor is faster and renders a part of a frame that could not be seen before because this processor power was not available in order for it to be rendered. However I'll take smoothness over lag any day

Timezone
    GMT -5

Yea, but don't you need the game on a memory stick to pull that off? Or can it be achieved even if you have the UMD?

PSN ID
    sakerbax

it can be achieved on the umd, although and maybe this is gray zone if you use a memory stick copy your load times will drop to half
    (there are also apps that let you convert your own games to isos, like umdgen, just don't share it after)

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

erm, the discussion of custom firmware is kinda disallowed on these boards. If you're still interested, I suggest this continues in PMs

Timezone
    GMT + 8

I bought Pure a few days ago and I have to disagree with a few people here. I don't rate Pure above Pulse at all.

The handling is RUBBISH. Well, not really rubbish, but not very wipeout either. Too much back-end sliding for my liking, and the speed loss because of it. Maybe I should play it a bit more, but you know what they say about first impressions...
    The tracks are alright. Like Pulse, there's a few 'meh' tracks, but to me, Pure has more of these. The only standout track I've seen thus far is Sol 2. Reminds me of Oodesa Keys.

The menu system, however, is better than Pulse. Has a kinda W3 feel to it.
    That's my two cents anyway.

What I say about first impressions is that they're often wrong.

Not always, but often.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Agreed, Pure was incredible, first time I played it, I thought I would get bored
    I was wrong...
    [offtopic]
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvai View Post
    Oodesa Keys.
    eeek! the Ood! they get everywhere!
    BTW, the impossible planet and the satan pit are the awesomest (sic) doctor who episodes ever.
    [/offtopic]

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

LOL!

I am like Switzerland.Neutral.