Thread: WipeOut Pure is better than WipeOut Pulse

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default WipeOut Pure is better than WipeOut Pulse

I sold my Pulse about a month ago after getting all the golds on easy. Pulse was my first foray into WipeOut and it was an intense learning curve (which I posted about). But at the time I sold it, I was kinda getting tired of Pulse, it just stopped being very fun for me. While I liked Pulse, it wasn't as great a racing game as I had thought it would be based on all the hype.

Fast forward to yesterday, I needed my futuristic racing craving and bought the Playstation store version of Wipeout Pure. And within the first few minutes, I was WOWed. No wonder this version had the higher metacritic score, not only was it revolutionary at the time it came out, I think it did several things much better than its sequel.

Here are what Pure does better than Pulse:

1. Levels: the levels in Pure are so much more beautiful and majestic. There was almost not a single level that I was really impressed with in Pulse, but so far, many of the levels in Pure had me dropping my jaw at the beautiful scenery and the great feel of racing through them. The levels in Pure are much more creative and diverse. Whereas the Pulse levels felt gritty, the Pure levels felt futuristic and innovative.

2. Graphics: Ok, maybe my vision is bad, but I always had tired eyes after playing a session of Pulse. The levels were really dark so it was hard to make out turns in certain areas and I had to play in very dark places. Pure is much brighter overall, and I have no eyestrain playing it. It is a pleasure and this little minor detail makes the experience infinitely more enjoyable.

Now, Pulse does some things better as well:

1. Honeycomb progression - very cool and almost introduces a strategic element

2. menus and structure - obviously they had timp to revamp the system

3. Eliminator - spices up the experience

4. better graphics - not a huge difference, but still an improvement

This is obviously just my opinion as the experience is subjective...but I was genuinely surprised with how much I enjoyed Pure. It was kinda the experience I had hoped to have with Pulse but never quite got.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

I agree, definitely. But what you mean by putting graphics in both's advantage?

PSN ID
    Ash-Omen

Cool

i agree with the level design, pures tracks definatly look alot more inspired compared too pulse and the tracks on pure are alot more diverse.

my only snag with pure is the AI, they can be very anoying forming weapons out of nowhere and constantly overtaking on the last straight but this could be a good thing i suppose cos on pulse i find the AI a pushover even on phantom and hard.

but overall best game is pulse imo. cos u have online play custom soundtracks better graphics and skin editor.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Ash-Omen View Post
    my only snag with pure is the AI, they can be very anoying forming weapons out of nowhere and constantly overtaking on the last straight
    What! No way lol!! Pures AI is so poor compared to Pulse, if they are close enough to you to overtake you on the final straight you need much more practice.

lolll

Yeah, you can get away easier in pure, unless you cannot get near the front right away, which might make it harder(once again the barrel roll bug)

PSN ID
    Ash-Omen

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    What! No way lol!! Pures AI is so poor compared to Pulse, if they are close enough to you to overtake you on the final straight you need much more practice.
    yeah they overtake on final straight because they spawn weapons out of nowere lol. but pure imo is harder the bot in 1st on pure allways puts up a bigger fight than the rest. and on pure i notice when u get a boost start they all fly past somehow

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

All the competing ships seem to be going at an unusually high speed in the first lap. Think it's obviously meant to be that way, to make it more challenging to get first.

I would now after playing the three a good amount, that Pure is imo way better than pulse or hd for me. It has the stupid barrel rolls not working in single player, the bs disruptor, and some weapons that makes you go backwards at times (lots of swears), and pitch control that is not too good in that it doesn't change your postition of where you land too much. Now pulse, way too grippy, I think the game is fun, but not really like wipeout at all due to almost no sliding like any of the older games. Pure's turning is like the older games to a certain degree, only marred by the sideshift keeping the grip too much (although not nearly as much as pulse or hd). Hd is just way too easy, way too many weapons. It is too easy to keep up to even the best players, and hit them with a quake or another weapon. Driving skill is at a minimum in this game, where in Pure, driving skill matters significantly. I hit one wall, i am not going to be hitting someone who didn't with a missle without some good driving first. Pulse is also better than Hd in this regard. I remember at the tournament, travis and I were watching some driving in chenghou reverse, and some were smashiing into the last sharp turn, and basically coming out almost just as fast as someone doing a perfect lap, making the game too much about weapons.

However, if you added in a time trial race like pure to HD where you get one turbo per lap, no weapons, I might go back to Hd a little more.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Good idea in adding Hd to the comparison Al. I agree with you when you're saying hd is way too much weapon oriented, but regarding driving skills uh, I can tell you the best players still succeed in winning easily, sometimes with a comfortable -unbelievable?- margin; no matter how many quakes you'll throw to -sorry for giving names lol- Yeldar, for example (could have said wotan, luxoflux, wellington, ericd7m, greenix, pirah... lots of names I've raced during our tournaments), he'll stay way behind, thx to his awesome driving skills. I love when you're saying you're not going to shoot someone with good driving skills at first sight, cos' this is exactly how we love to race during some crazy week-ends. This is still the spirit, even if some people abuse of the crazy hd weapon power sometimes. Technical races (no weapon races), as TorquedSoul named them in his ELO league, are a good way to experience something different, even if wall scrapping or weird contacts between ships (most of the time due to ping/lag/our weak connections) are occuring really often & can ruin a race. But just have a look at the no weapon records I'm trying to keep running, you'll see they are constantly beaten by the best skilled players. Also, I would disagree with you regarding chenghou reverse -or the forward version, same turn-; it's really faster to take them perfectly instead of rushing into the wall, I can guarantee that. But hey, that's my two cents, as an hd player since its release. I'm assuming the fact I didn't play too much pure comparing to you. But I'm the first to agree with you regarding pure handling, the way ships are sliding is a great feeling. And yeah signing up for your time trial idea!
    oh and just something else; Leungbok had a real good point here :
    Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    ...i started to regularly improve all my pulse's laptimes after HD was released. HD helped me in understanding some subtilities of the tracks that i was unable to detect on pulse because of the tiny screen and dark graphics. I adjusted my lines on HD and applied that to pulse too (and pure), and it worked...
    Tech de Ra white is a great example.
    Last edited by kanar; 9th January 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kaori714

Hello Al, your contribution is good, I'm partially right with.

Why partially ? Just because the community on WipEout HD is 50 or 100 times larger ! So it's normal that online races are more tight, and the importance of weapons is bigger.

I remember some tournaments with 6 or 8 good players on WipEout Pulse where every one could win a race... thanks to weapons !

Today I can play WipEout Pure with some friends on adhoc Party, and it's the same, weapons can be decisive or ruin your race. But it's true WipEout Pure is the game where a mistake seems to cost you the most time.

Weapons are important too in WipEout Pure & Pulse, in the sense that if you kill an opponent, he can't finish the race and score 0 point ! No respawn, no second chance !

In fact, more level of players is dense, and more the weapons are important.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Yes exactly over Pure, that`s why I`m struggling to stay on the line and create stability but, that is not always the case, all I need is practise to improve my game. That is why, we have few excellent players compare to Pulse players statistically. Most Pulse players goes for TT rather than Pure`s TT. but again, I could be wrong.

stevie

ON chenghou, it is faster to take it perfect, but not enough to get out of sight of some who slams it (keep in mind i'm saying at least they have their ship turned to the same angle as the wall, not straight in ) I agree with pulse, except, when you hit a wall, you do slow down quite a degree, and it will be difficult to catch up. I think the weapons are too much in all the games really, just that pure I thought had the nice slide handling. We played fusion multiplayer in the NA tourney, and unbelievably, that had the best weapon slowdown of ships out of all the games. Go figure the worst wipeout game has the best weapon affect on the ships.