Thread: Would this gamepad work for HD?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SpaceboyG

Lightbulb Would this gamepad work for HD?

As I was reading this article on Kotaku (a different one than the one I posted a few days ago), I couldn't help but think how much Al would love to get his hands on this. At least to try out.

At best to cannibalize for parts to create the überwheel

So what do you fellow pilots think? Is this the closest thing we'll get to a Neggie on the PS3?

I'd love for one of us to review it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

That looks pretty interesting!

Fire/absorb would, for me, have to re-mapped to L2/R2, but I guess I could get used to that. The only real issue would be pitch. I can't make out from the article if there's motion control, which, I guess, you would need since there's no up/down motion on the "steeringcircle"?

If it has a motionsensor, I'll definetely try it.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Seems like a nice controller, not sure if it would be of any advantage with Wipeout though, it doesn't seem anything like the purpose built NegCon in the way it operates.
    If it was, the current problem atm is that Sony can, and have made system software updates for the PS3 that can suddenly make none Sony controllers not work.

I've have a friend down the road that has suffered this problem since the 3.50 update a month or so back, and have read many a angry post at the various Playstation forums from others that have suddenly found themselves with a now useless controller.

This is especially true of any wired controller, since the last few updates have been to stop the use of the console hacking Jailbreak USB dongle.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    mic-dk900

At least for me the thumb knob thingie would be much more precise than the analog stick. Especially useful for those long sweeping turns.

It wouldn't surprise me that Sony wouldn't care one bit if a 3rd party controller works or not though

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

The problem I have with using the analog stick with Wipeout is.
    1] That it is in the wrong position.

Saitek had a PS3 controller that had a swappable insert that had the D-Pad and Analog stick on it.
    You could just remove, then twist the insert around 180, that put the analog stick where the D-Pad was, solved 70% of the problem, then Sony changed the software, now these controllers don't work.

2] It's too tall
    I've suffered too many bouts of "D-Pad thumb" to change thumb position now.

3] Having a dome [convex] top.
    This allow your thumb to slide around and lose optimum position, where if it were concave [like the original PS1 dualshock], you would have a a lot easier time dealing with this problem.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn