Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's a bit dissapointed?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostE View Post
    liverpool will make their money regardless of the die hard fan feedback
    That is why i am not posting much into HD topics.
    Don't get me wrong, HD will be surely an awesome game for most of the people here and also casual gamers but i for one to say i am not convinced by the game.
    I don't care much about the HUD, i wasn't a big fan of Pulse one and go on thinking SL is working in the wrong direction for HD one.
    My main regret is about a loss of friendly moments at home inviting my friends, for what i have heard you won't have split screen idem for Lan, that sucks imho. When other games develop a real friendly interactivity ( cooperation mode, splitscreen till 4 players), for me there's something wrong here in SL politic : they want to open it for more gamers (casual ones) but they restricted the possibilities of fun and happiness : that is weird.
    I haven't got a ps3 yet and not sure will buy one when HD will be released.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Aww man Asa I was looking forward to playing with you online

I agree that LAN/Splitscreen play should be included in almost every single game that comes out, but I wouldn't miss out on an excellent game just because it doesn't have it.

PSN ID
    Axellink

To the above, when i mean over floaty, I was talking about WO3SE. WO3 was puuuuuuurty with the level of floatiness . Still love SE more though, so I'm a bit confused

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

noooooo asa!!!! you have to get it. i agree with dark, it IS a wipeout game, and its not right to miss out cuz of a HUD and offline multiplayer. and you never know, they did say there will be added content and what not, whos to say they wont add aan offline multiplayer component later on. Or even have an option to customize or change your HUD

PSN ID
    Axellink

I really hope they give us two HUDS mate. I can't believe it seems so petty, but to me it makes a huge difference
    Last edited by Axel; 20th April 2008 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asayyeah View Post
    My main regret is about a loss of friendly moments at home inviting my friends, for what i have heard you won't have split screen
    I agree totally with that point. Split-screen gaming seems to be dying out, and so it becomes harder for people to actually play games in the same rooms as other people. In the days of the original Xbox I would get together with mates for 4-way split-screen of whatever versions of PGR and Rallisport that were out for that console. The graphics weren`t great because detail was reduced to keep the framerate playable (developers please note that also), but hours of fun were guaranteed with 4 players next to each other on the sofa and on the same race track. Then on the 360 (and PS3) versions of racing games, which are more powerful consoles and should be able to handle more, 2 player split screen seems to be the best on offer, afaict, and sometimes not even that. It`s a real shame. Internet gaming is fun, but it`s not the be all and end all. Surely most PS3 and 360 racers could run on 4 player split screen just by reducing the resolution a bit, or are sharp graphics so holy that this can`t be done?

I can`t say the HD HUD bothers me at all, so long as I can see what lap it is, and how far from blowing up I am

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    HD is floatier and a little bouncier (not like a bouncy ball) than Wipeout has been for a while. Its not Wipeout 3 floaty, but its more so than Pure or Pulse, especially as you move up in speeds (and of course more than fusion). There are sections in ubermall and in sebenco that allows for a LARGE amount of air time for example.

wow that sounds very tony hawks, air time, how Rad
    Haha wow , thanks so much for the feedback Colin , really appreciate it . Well at least you guys are heading in the right direction by the sounds of it
    Can't wait for this title

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    ..... or are sharp graphics so holy that this can`t be done?

I think that's exactly what's happening. High resolution has become some sort of religious object. Behold the sacred sharper image and be amazed at our superiority over those other game companies. Buy our stuff!

Well, it does take a lot of extra time (and people) to create 'reduced' versions of all the graphics for split-screen modes. Lower-polygon tracks, ships and weapons don't build themselves.

It also requires dedicated programmers and more testing time. It's really not the simple little tweak you all seem to think. Remember, the graphics would have to be reduced enough to efficiently display everything in the one-player game, times two -- or four :/

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

That's unfortunate. Still, at least Brawl supports 4-player mode and since we want the friends together nature of it anyway, we'll just have our friends buy Wiis and the game

HD can be my religious experience~ (as long as Icaras rolls out SOON)

PSN ID
    infoxicated

wow that sounds very tony hawks, air time, how Rad
    Almost as rad as barrel rolls!

I mean, ****ing hell - air time has a **** load more to do with Wipeout than barrel rolls and they're firmly entrenched.

What ever next?

Magnetic strips on the tracks to turn it into a car driving game without wheels?

Oh, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    ...... the graphics would have to be reduced enough to efficiently display everything in the one-player game, times two -- or four :/
    Is there no way to run a computer program that would sample the apices [apexes] of the polygons and create a new mesh by using only every second set of apex coordinates [adding one for the last apex of any figure, such as ship or building, at its most extreme dimension]? This would reduce 2d objects to one quarter of the number of apices, sufficient to run four screen splits with the same processor power. 3D objects would be cut to one-eighth the number of apices for any given object size, a major reduction in points to be plotted during movement.

PSN ID
    ByteHawk

those kind of polygon reduction tools are never good enough. They either need a lot of configuring (what detail must be retained, what detail to lose) or the results need to be tweaked, losing the advantage of such tools.

there just isn't a magic button. All the assets made for this game are to a very high standard. It would be a loss - no pun intended - to confide solely in an algorythm to reduce the weight of all models.

btw - Egg : good job !

I'd still like to know what the Studio Liverpool developers have to say about such programs.

Well, Bytehawk hit the nail really. We've rarely used them, even on years of Formula 1 games. It takes so much fiddling to get decent results you may as well rebuild the objects by hand.

They're quite good for reducing organic characters and smooth landscapes, but pretty ropey for hard-edged mechanical objects with complicated texture layouts ("UVs").

Also (techy alert) once the track surface is reduced it no longer matches the smooth 'collision' mesh, an underlying version of the track (unseen to the player) which the game uses to calculate your ship's position. The result would be ships apparently hitting invisible walls, or sinking into the track, where the two track versions misalign.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I see the point, but I'm still confused why a machine like the PS2 was able to render 2-Player-Splitscreen.
    I know it does not render that much, but then on the other hand it has less power. Especially Fusion had really big levels with a lot of polygons I guess but multiplayer still worked (if I'm not wrong the whole track is rendered in Fusion. That means: If you race Florion Height 1 it also renders Florion Height 2 and 3).
    Or was there just enough time for the multiplayer part?

I spend many, many hours in multiplayer, btw. That made an awesome experience. If just the AI would have been better.

Remember Fusion had a much longer development cycle than HD...

Jon, thanks for the reply.

-----

IIRC, the development cycle for W3O was only six months, but they had split screen plus a lot of original content. Does anyone know for sure what the length of that cycle was. I think Wayne Imlach talked about it here on the forums somewhere. I'm not going to look for it now; I shouldn't even be awake. [slept a few hours during the day earlier, no sleep previous night]

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

BTW, welcome to the zone bytehawk, awesome first post, a new member getting stuck in, that's what I like to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I shouldn't even be awake. [slept a few hours during the day earlier, no sleep previous night]
    same for me on sat, had a mate round friday night, that's why I was online until some ungodly hour like 6AM, continous boxhead 2play rooms and super crazy guitar maniac deluxe 3
    Last edited by omega329; 21st April 2008 at 05:05 PM.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

After it is installed and it is sitting ready to be played, it is less than 1 gig

As RR says, Some games are small in size, some large, depends on the game

Just because Wipeout is small it doesnt mean blu ray is a 'rubbish PR exercise' thats just bad logic

Of course you dont need Blu ray for tetris, but you cant expect to comfortably download GTA IV or Burnout Paradise for example
    Or Oblivion for that matter.

I feel that having the game on a download makes things a lot riskier being that internet access can be stolen, Cut - off, or my personal favourite,
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3 Prompt - thingy
    You have been disconnected from the access point.
    Last edited by mdhay; 21st April 2008 at 05:36 PM.