Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's a bit dissapointed?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

yes overall if you did have a problem between the two , you should definetly be more concerned with the boost, not HUD, i just dont mind about either

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Well I've been looking forward to HD for ages and until I've played it I can't possibly say if I'm satisfied or disappointed.

The HUD? It's fine and everyone will forget about this 'issue' pretty quickly when the games out I suspect.

Also I don't think it's going to be the game that makes Wipeout really popular simply because its download only so an entire market of people have just been alienated right there. Dunno if anyone took into consideration people with low download allowances, slow connections, no connection?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

well to have any sort of internet on your ps3 it has to be at least broadband, which is more than enough to download games no problem from the PSN store from the console. and anyone that has a ps3 with no internet, get with the times and stop being cheap ,the internet features of the system...thats half of what you paid for right there.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Have to agree with the download only aspect of the game creating a segment of the market that is bordering on a little niche...cause not everyone has the internet that we so take for granted... That is why I hope SL will immediately begin work on a proper sequel, new craft, teams, tracks and all for a Blu-Ray format release...

Getting back on topic...

No, I don't feel disappointed in anyway...having grown up with WipEout...(my sole reason I bought a Playstation One in the first place), I believe Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool has evolved the series in a very elegant and extremely appropriate way... Graphics wise and gameplay wise...they have stumble along the way *cough* *Fusion*, but I reckon they have picked up the pieces and re-assembled the anti-gravity speed-infested techno giant we have grown to love...some of the aspect that are gnawwing at me though are things like barrel rolls...apart from that, things like Zone, weapon absorbs and of course the psychedelic new Tron-styled Zone have cemented the series for me, into history, as a game that has always been consistently not only about speed and gameplay and graphics...but also predominantly about style...and HD has loads of it...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostE View Post
    well to have any sort of internet on your ps3 it has to be at least broadband, which is more than enough to download games no problem from the PSN store from the console. and anyone that has a ps3 with no internet, get with the times and stop being cheap ,the internet features of the system...thats half of what you paid for right there.
    Ya know, it still amazes me that some people think that other people can just decide to spend money that they don't have. Not to mention that they will offer people advice when they don't know enough of those people's situation to be aware of all the factors that must be taken into consideration when a decision has to be made.

To repeat something that apparently can never be said too many times [because it is so often forgotten]:
    One person's reality is not everyone's reality. What is true for one person is not true for everyone.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    That.

It's pissed me off for months, that has - I hate the camera being ****ed with unless it's really subtle, and that effect is about as far from subtle as it gets.

I asked why a ship in a near frictionless environment would accelerate then decelerate in that manner, too, but there wasn't an answer. Somebody stuck it in at some point, people got used to it and it stayed in.
    You work for 'em foxxy - it isnt at all possible to talk 'them' into doing a little something about it? (Im sure you could threaten to push a few random red buttons, or something..... heheh) We all know it doesnt belong.

How much say on the final product do the 'bigwigs' have? i have a feeling that they have far too much say over how the final product looks - they are businessmen, not gamers, and in my mind they should just sign the papers and ship the game, without asking questions. In my mind, anyway.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I don't work for 'em any more, actually - I left Sony a week or so ago.

You've identified an issue, though - people who aren't gamers make sweeping decisions that affect the final product. That's why you get things like download ships you cant use in multiplayer, because those who make that kind of decision don't ultimately give a **** how much it upsets the fans of the game.

Just expect this kind of **** - nothing is sacred in the games industry.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

No game will ever be perfect because people are always being listened to.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

oh yeah barrel rolls are lame, also. just feeding the fire. The wipeout HD backlash has begun before release!! mwahaha. yeah download only cuts the majority of the market out, which sucks but at least it'll get promoted like all hell in the ps store.

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    ~snip~ nothing is sacred in the games industry.
    Nor in any other industry.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

lance i think i worded myself incorrectly, what i meant was , your spending 400-500$ on a videogame system that makes quite a bit of use on the internet function included with it. take that out and its certainly not worth that 400 500$.you would need a friend with internet to get updates and put them on portable media for you, you have no friends list, no multiplayer only games, o PSN store, no media servers, no chat, no remote play for your psp, and no internet browser obviously. Tell me then without al that stuff, is it worth you 400-500 dollars,maybe that money should be going elsewhere if you cant afford an extra 15 a month for internet.

yes ones reality certainly is not everyones reality, BUT if you own a PS3 chances are you have some sort of internet to support it, simple as that. which means making it download only doesnt really take out a majority at all, due to the fact that most people with PS3 probably have internet with it. and if your young, you can ask mom or dad to get you the game if you give them the money, so they can use their card. and if your 18+ and you still dont have a debt. or credit card...you neeed to see a bank and/or establish some credit for yourself, your not a kid forever

PSN ID
    Axellink

Mate you still don't get it. A lot of people don't care about Internet multiplayer play. Half of my mates that have a Xbox360 do not play online. But they have Internet. They just don't have time for it thats all. They are the "casual" consumer mate. the ones who buy a game they heard of from the shop.

Will be very interesting to see how this game sells.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

but they DO have internet, so if it was a ps3 (not a 360) they COULD get wipeout HD, its not multi-player only. it would actually be more convenient for them, download it for cheaper than a game at the shop, right from their couch. and i can understand a lot better someone having a 360 without the internet, for one: you have to pay for a subscription to live (on top of your monthly internet fee) and two:they have much better offline, non-multiplayer games than ps3

either way, yes it will be quite interesting to see how this sells, especially since there are people considering getting a ps3 just for HDs release...rock on wipers!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

How does broadband work where you live? In some countries usage limits are in place and downloading something of this size could seriously eat it up if the said person has a cheaper package that would otherwise be fine for the online gaming, surfing they do etc.

I'm also of the opinion that there will be many kids out there with PS3s in their rooms that aren't hooked up they nor the parents will have a clue.

Also, downloading big files could mean the ISP applies traffic shaping to ones connection which is not nice to say the least and raises the other issue I mentioned of some people having an outright slow connection, who wants to be downloading a game for 3-4-5 hours before they can play it?

None of these issues apply to me I'm just hoping they doesn't hinder sales as far as other people go.
    Last edited by Rapier Racer; 15th April 2008 at 10:32 PM.

It is not your words that are themselves incorrect; it is the thoughts your words express that are an inaccurate assessment of reality. I am 65 years old; I have a very small fixed retirement income; I have financial responsibilities that you do not have; I have a very different set of priorities and value judgements from those you have. The idea that you could offer accurate and valuable financial advice to me or anyone else who is significantly different from you in their place in life and in their character is just invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFrostE View Post
    lance i think i worded myself incorrectly, what i meant was , your spending 400-500$ on a videogame system that makes quite a bit of use on the internet function included with it. take that out and its certainly not worth that 400 500$.you would need a friend with internet to get updates and put them on portable media for you, you have no friends list, no multiplayer only games, o PSN store, no media servers, no chat, no remote play for your psp, and no internet browser obviously. Tell me then without al that stuff, is it worth you 400-500 dollars,maybe that money should be going elsewhere if you cant afford an extra 15 a month for internet.

yes ones reality certainly is not everyones reality, BUT if you own a PS3 chances are you have some sort of internet to support it, simple as that. which means making it download only doesnt really take out a majority at all, due to the fact that most people with PS3 probably have internet with it. and if your young, you can ask mom or dad to get you the game if you give them the money, so they can use their card. and if your 18+ and you still dont have a debt. or credit card...you neeed to see a bank and/or establish some credit for yourself, your not a kid forever

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

i didnt know you were older and retired, i may be young, but i do have set priorities and things to get done, maybe not nearly as much as you, but i do understand the value of a dollar, i pay for internet here, i paid and am still paying for my college, which i just graduated last year, i have a full time job , i am on my own insurance health dental and car, i make car payments, and everything gets taken care of before my gaming expenses.

in the end we are from completely different generations , i dont think its right to compare either.

this is wayyyy off topic though , so im all done on this thread for now

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Mate you still don't get it. A lot of people don't care about Internet multiplayer play. Half of my mates that have a Xbox360 do not play online. But they have Internet. They just don't have time for it thats all. They are the "casual" consumer mate. the ones who buy a game they heard of from the shop.

Will be very interesting to see how this game sells.
    'They just don't have the time for it' - Haha and the time to set up a bastard 10m cable seeing as it doesn't have wireless built in.. seriously that's most of my friends' barrier to online console use.

But a true PS3 game on PSN is what... like 5gig? Here in Australia that's a huge chunk if not all of your monthly download fees, plus it would take an entire day to download. Few people I know who can afford to buy and even own PS3 would do that.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

i'll suck down 5 gig if it's worth it but thats be cause I have an expencive internet plan 20gig peak 40gig off peak for $70, so good of optus to let us keep the old plan.

lochiebrad so good to see another melbournian in here :-)

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Melbournians with expensive internet represent!
    I'll have to get it at some point, but internet plans are pretty expensive in Australia (Although I'm happy that we have broadband in the first place).

I'm lucky i've got a decent amount of net speed though.

Just as an FYI, KANDANG's also a melbournian.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

I wouldn't think WipEout HD to be 5GB. Another PS3 game was released for download, it is a full PS3 game, and weighs in at around 800MB. I am of course talking about Warhawk. It's still quite big, but I would expect HD to be around that as well... They cannot expect someone to go download 5GB for a few hours, so they will optimize it. Also, the fact that Sony Liverpool is making the game adds up to this: how much does WipEout PurE weigh? around 150MB uncompressed ISO. WipEout Pulse? 200MB or around that. And Pulse is one of the most beautiful PSP games. The same can be said with WipEout HD and PS3. Maybe I'm totally wrong in trying to establish this correlation, but maybe I'm right. Hopefully I am because 5GB, even if I have unlimited, is pretty big, especially since my connection is slower to trade off for the unlimited aspect.