Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD HUD

Default Wipeout HD HUD

Just had a quick look at the Wipeout HD gameplay footage over at Gamersyde.com and I have to say that whilst the game looks stunning I do not like the way the new HUD shakes and stretches on screen as you fly over speed boost pads and hit obstacles. Also, the large hexagonal weapons indicator wastes a lot of visible space and contains a tiny vector drawing of your current weapon which is not very easy to see. There are times when a third of the central field of view is obscured by the HUD info and timing stats! And because its shaking and stretching its highly distracting and annoying. I hope there is a choice of HUDs available – all previous Wipeout HUDs were far less intrusive so why have they changed it? It seems a bit pointless having a shuddering pilots eye view HUD with the external ship view anyway!

Sorry for the rant on my first post but this place appears to be the best place on the web to talk about all things Wipeout. Been addicted since 2097 and am so looking forward to the HD version.

Does anyone here think the new HUD is an improvement?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

And you are sooo right!
    Welcome!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I've said it already and I'll say it again:

The HUD has a terrible design!

Timezone
    GMT + 2

The old hud version looks a lot better, it's pretty wipeout 3-ish.
    Seen in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNEqirsmIM&NR=1

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

And it didnt have the visual reaction on boost pads. =P

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Yeah, but i like the WO3 style.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Agreed! Agreed!
    Studio Liverpool - hear us scream "Agreed!" !!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

Agreed. IMHO, HUD design can be more functional (less detailed for a faster reading) and has unnecessary info such as the amount of damage/energy absorbed from each weapon, it's the kind of things you read in the manual once and that's it.
    But I think the style is cool , I wouldn't change it all, just fix things a bit.
    It would be cool if you could customize it by parts, I mean if you could chose what info you want to see in the HUD: position, weapon icon, weapon info, laptime...

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I'd leave the info displays as is, but remove all the stationary borders

Good to see there is a classic Wipeout following here!

I agree with Hillo – that test footage from last year has a much more satisfying Wipeout look and feel, which I had thought was the premise for Wipeout HD – the best of classic Wipeout in High Definition. Wipeout Pure and Pulse proved that the old style could still be achieved and incorporate the new dimensions of gameplay (mag-strips and special zone tracks) without changing the basic formula too much.

Studio Liverpool should stop messing with gimmicky effects like the nauseating speed boost lurch, blurring effects and the overly obtrusive HUD or they risk losing the classic Wipeout experience like what happened with Fusion.

I agree that Wipeout needs to be fresh and move forward but I would prefer these effects to be saved for the next gen Wipeout edition or at the very least provide a classic Wipeout look and feel mode for Wipeout HD. After all, this is going to be the first time that we can play the game properly on a big TV since Wipeout3!!

PSN ID
    Axellink

Great to see even new users agree. Well I purchased my PS3 today, waiting for Wipeout. Man I'm going to be so hooked. Damn.

But back on topic, the HUD needs to go. I mean the only thing good is the shield damage in the middle of the screen. I did like the old style HUD a lot better to behonest. But Wipeout 3SE is also my fav wipeout as well lol.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

i don't like the new hud too, and the boost reaction could be annoying in phantom class..
    but i feel that hud design is still to define.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

well, I actually like the design of the HUD *pauses for audince's reaction* however, I think it may be improved with a bit less "non-functional pretty stuff". Also, the fuzzy, out of tune thing when you land a jump annoys me, fine for weapon hits, but the craft should be designed for taking jumps and shouldn't be malfunctioning.

For the record, I like the design by itself, however it does not suit the menus and the look of the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ColdRemS

I prefer by far the old one we've seen last year, in the WO3 style, like Hillo said before just like in the game menus. I would even say that the HUD is the biggest drawback to me in HD right now. It contrasts too much with the fantastic design of the ships. That's why I hope they change this crappy HUD before they release the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Somehow I doubt SL will go back to the old Pulse HUD, but I too hope they'll overhaul the current one. However, I love the muted sounds with shields active, status critical and while being airborne! I think it does a lot to make HD feel more dynamic and intense than what was before.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

It seems the reaction to the HUD has been nothing but negative from everyone who has commented... I wonder why it hasn't changed?

Because all the videos you've seen over the last week or so are from the same build.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

I love you.

PSN ID
    Axellink

nice

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

THIS is the best news you could give us. THANK YOU!