Thread: Wipeout HD HUD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wipeout HD HUD

Just had a quick look at the Wipeout HD gameplay footage over at Gamersyde.com and I have to say that whilst the game looks stunning I do not like the way the new HUD shakes and stretches on screen as you fly over speed boost pads and hit obstacles. Also, the large hexagonal weapons indicator wastes a lot of visible space and contains a tiny vector drawing of your current weapon which is not very easy to see. There are times when a third of the central field of view is obscured by the HUD info and timing stats! And because its shaking and stretching its highly distracting and annoying. I hope there is a choice of HUDs available – all previous Wipeout HUDs were far less intrusive so why have they changed it? It seems a bit pointless having a shuddering pilots eye view HUD with the external ship view anyway!

Sorry for the rant on my first post but this place appears to be the best place on the web to talk about all things Wipeout. Been addicted since 2097 and am so looking forward to the HD version.

Does anyone here think the new HUD is an improvement?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

And you are sooo right!
    Welcome!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I've said it already and I'll say it again:

The HUD has a terrible design!

Timezone
    GMT + 2

The old hud version looks a lot better, it's pretty wipeout 3-ish.
    Seen in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNEqirsmIM&NR=1

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

And it didnt have the visual reaction on boost pads. =P

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Yeah, but i like the WO3 style.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

It's kind of late, but i will still give my opinion based on gamersyde videos.

The HUD itself has clearly that wipeout touch i expected to find. But I must admit that the screen is a little overloaded when the time difference is display.
    I understand that with WO speed, temporary information should be display where it is easier/quicker to see, but maybe the text could have been enough (no box around it).

that thing appart, I like te distortion effect when passing on boost pod, and the scale displayed in Zone mode.

Do someone knows if the fisheye effect on the HUD which was available on Pulse will also be available on WOHD ?

Thanks.
    I really liked this one !!!

PSN ID
    Axellink

This is a point that has been argued for ages. I am hoping that the artist who designed the HUD took note and that they have made some changes to the HUD. TBH, I would prefer the option to have two HUDS. The one from the preview vids of last year and the one they had now.

The one they have now will look clattered on my normal 4:3 TV

I think they have made some changes hopefully. Infact I'm praying that they have because apart from the floatiness, this is my biggest gripe about the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

I've only seen the HUD from the press build release in march (thx gamersyde).
    Do you have some vids or screens from an earlier version, please ?

PSN ID
    Axellink

I'm at work so I can't get the direct link for you. check out www.gametrailers.com . Search for wipeout HD vids and check out the earlier ones. The HUD had a minimalistic theme to it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Schumi_77

Yeah I saw them and I think that even if the new one isn't perfect, it IS quite an accomplishment compared to the first one ^_^.
    Since the annoncement through TVG, it seems that multipe HUD will be available (maybe customizing will be possible like the skins in Pure, or the ships' in Pulse ... let's hope so ^_~