Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout HD HUD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ColdRemS

+1, thank you Egg for bringing what seems to be an excellent news!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Nice if true! Make them more like the menus plz. :]

Uhm, Jon was not saying the HUD has been changed, it has not (and small refinements aside it will not be) he was pointing out all the reason it hasnt changed from video to video (as asked "I wonder why it hasn't changed? ") is that the videos are from the same build.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Not to sound cocky, but why exactly hasn't there been any change? I'm not saying that you should take wozone feedback into consideration (and we certainly appreciate the wishes you already fulfilled), but it wasn't only us who criticised the HUD. This HUD is pretty much the only thing that has been criticised all over the media on wipEout HD. Why ignore that when you still have the possibility to react to it and remove the only real point of criticism so far? This is really disappointing imo.
    Last edited by eLhabib; 11th April 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Signed.

Well I'm happy if you guys just throw in a bit of old G|C-code again and make the old WO3-like HUD from the G|C-release as a 2nd option. Better than nothing at all.
    Cause even though I really love the whole design (for me it's a mix between WO3 and WOPure - which is definitely something good!!) the HUD is the thing where the game fails.

not to sound arsey. . .

Peoples opinions on the style are opinion, some will like it some wont (I like it, I dont want the HUD to look like it came from Wipeout 3 or 2097 but thats my opinion and its not my final decision anyway, it lies with the Art and Game director so my opinion on the style is actually not that relevant)

The first iteration was changed because there was significant opinion within the team to change it. This second iteration is liked far more with in the team.

Opinion on the functionality such as 1up mentioning ease of glancing critical info has been taken on board and that is why it has been refined slightly. But we cant go changing styles to suit feedback, some people dislike it, some like it, who do you listen to ? in the end you listen to the people concerned in the crafting of it, and trust their judgement.

As for having the opportunity to change it, (even if we wanted to which we dont) thats a huge and incorrect assumption at this stage of development

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

thanks for the reply. totally understand. I don't see the connection between the perfectly minimal menu and the overdone HUD, I think there's a major split in design and overall feel, but as you said, it's just an opinion.
    still, if there ever will be an opportunity to download a different HUD style in the future, a lot of people would appreciate it

PSN ID
    infoxicated

The front end might well have been designed with copies of WipEout 3, The Great Big Book of Stuff The Designers Republic Have Done, and some tracing paper, but at least it has a strong, consistent theme throughout.

I think what's jarring about the HUD is that it shatters that consistency. It's pretty obvious they were designed by different people at different times, and that and the similarity to the Fusion HUD brings back memories of when WipEout went really, really wrong.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Ah well bit of a shame that. But hey, you guys are the boss. But I actually don't like it (paying customer) . But hey, we got to have something to complain about at least

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Agreed, Rob.
    I don't want to offend anybody here - but people are always talking about "games must suit the customer because he's the boss". And then, when the customer obviously says what he doesn't like nobody wants to hear his opinion. Oh well...

PSN ID
    Axellink

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    Agreed, Rob.
    I don't want to offend anybody here - but people are always talking about "games must suit the customer because he's the boss". And then, when the customer obviously says what he doesn't like nobody wants to hear his opinion. Oh well...
    LOL I feel your pain dude. I'm sure they might throw in the option for a second HUD as a download option maybe?

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

knowing sony, It'll cost £5 to download a new hud...

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    Agreed, Rob.
    TBH, and I dont want to offend either but that is crap

We pay A LOT of attention to constructive opinion and ideas on here and have done for over 6 years, but we cant listen to it all and neither should we, because we'd be back n forth like a yoyo. You cant satisfy everyone.
    What about the people who like the HUD, we disregard what they think because some others dont like it ?

To say
    "And then, when the customer obviously says what he doesn't like nobody wants to hear his opinion. Oh well... ?"
    Kind of pisses me off given the amount we have listened, I mean thats a nice kick in the teeth, forget the times we have listened and pick one were we disagree, and say nobody wants to hear..

We do listen to constructive criticism and comment (not "its terrible", or "its not enough like wipeout 3" - because thats opinion and not constructive at all)
    Sometimes we listen to feedback and act, sometimes we disagree with it and dont, and its our job to make make these choices, its our jobs and careers so we dont just make willy nilly decisions without thought or reason we take on board comment and make a decision, thats what we have to do and sometimes person A will love it and person B wont and sometimes vice versa. When it comes to the HUD style its the Art Director and Game Director who take on board that info and comment and make a decision and thats thier job.

But please do not ever accuse us of not wanting to hear opinion when it is negative because thats just bull and hardly fair at all
    Last edited by Colin Berry; 11th April 2008 at 07:56 PM.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Wink

Don't sweat it dude, and we appreciate what you do. Your right, you can't please everybody and I'm sure this game will turn out great.

Here is my overall criticism. It feels too big and cluttered TBH. It takes up far too much space for something I only take less than a second to look at if you catch my drift? But if you guys disagree, least i know you did while reading our posts. Which is better than not listening at all.

Thanks, now get back to cooking our game!!

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

anyway, it's not so important how the HUD is going to look.. It's just because people on this site use to discuss on almost everything, as it is really easy to see from just the titles of some threads..

PSN ID
    Alex_Se

Acctualy i value the looks of a game a lot! This includes the HUD.
    I'm pretty disapointed with this one. The one on the first demo was better looking.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Sorry, Colin, I didn't meant to sound rude or something.
    I know you guys are taking a look at these forums and I really appreciate that, believe me

But that won't change my feelings about the HUD. It simply doesn't fit to the rest of the game's style and I do not see any need of pixel fonts for a TV-based game. It makes sense on a small screen with less space (actually that's what pixel fonts are made for), but on huge screen I prefer more traditional fonts such as Arial or Helvetica.
    To me those look less "lost" on a huge screen and they are more legible.
    Also a white/blue color spectrum makes more sense to me when I look at the menus.
    For me, the HUD simply doesn't fit to the menus - and that's what HUDs in WO always did in the past.

Surely, I speak just for myself.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

@foxxy, your comment about the big book.. made me laugh

and for everyone that's worked on the game... I can't wait to get my hands on it, and if the HUD design is the only design decision that we're complaining about, (what I imagine is a fairly small portion of the total work that's gone into this title) then you can at least be happy that the rest of the game is as close to satisfying all of the people all of the time as humanly possible
    good work, and I eagerly await the ability to buy woHD

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

ok since thread got closed rather than moved/merged

heres on 2 cents worth on ths topic that has since gone off topic

Ok guys i'm happy with the current design of the hud and to be frank, at eye bursting speeds your not even gonna notice it's there once you have your eyes fixed on the track and your enemys.

But Studio Liverpool what about this for an idea give the bloody wingers about the HUD, a HUD skinning tool. and let them alter the hud to how they see fit?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

There are actually a thread about the HUD. (and this is not the one..)

But regarding your suggestion I think that the HUD is not that important to steal time from other things. Would take less time to just change the HUD, I would prefer that if anything.

I think totally customizeable HUD are more important in games like Quake than in Wipeout. And even there the developers doesnt have that option. The community makes it themself.(they have done so for Q3 and maybe Q4 too..)