Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: another (new) IGN preview

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I don't like sims, I prefer an arcade-y feel to my games.
    a game that can be enjoyed without skill, but enjoyed for different reasons if you get good at it is what I am after.

games that pull out random BS to level the playing field (like mario kart's blue shells) annoy me when I start getting good
    games with a really high barrier to entry, but that get fun once you acquire some ability (eg: supreme commander) don't often survive the barrier stage

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by taqili View Post
    This is kind of getting off topic, but I noticed many threads here do, haha.
    8 ) It's a longstanding tradition.

To answer your question, I'm definitely all about the games of skill. I think that's what's really being bemoaned, when one of the few true skill-based games gets dumbed down.

At the same time though, yes, mindless fun always has its place. 8 )

The hours I've sunk into Panda Pang and Sinjid (online browser games) can definitely attest to that...

I think the worst games are the ones that try to look like skill-based games, but due to certain mechanics can be almost turned into mindless fun. In the process, it becomes neither, and ends up as landfill.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

The floatiness and speed of Pulse and Pure alone are enough to make them an intense challenge for the "casual gamer."

Want proof? I had my PSP on the bus to a theatre convention and passed the game around. With Medium difficulty on Flash speed in Pulse, and at the Talon's Junction White track, I tried to see if anyone could just finish a four-lap race. Five players later, someone finally did - albeit in dead last, where everyone finished if they did. None of these fellow students had ever heard of the Wipeout games prior to me showing them...

So to say that features like barrel rolls, sideshifts, mag-locks, and the new pilot assist will all dumb the game down to something as bare-bones as Burnout (great game series until the EA influence reallly got a hold, now it's just good) frankly is an insult. The elitism that I'm hearing recently - that all future games in the series must be as hard as WO3 on Phantom on every speed level or risk "selling out" - it's about as bad as from 2D fighting fans who practically killed their genre with their snootiness.

I think we were worried that something new that is stupid is going to wreck the next game. IF the auto assist was faster than good piloting, that would be stupid, but as Colin and El pointed out, it is much slower, therefore not too much more complaining from anyone. If computer assistance to the person behind(more turbos, faster ship) was to be implemented, that would wreck the game, basically creating another artic thunder(shudders). People want the game to be based around skill, not some damn luck, or the computer thinking my son Rennie should keep up with me so it gives him a speed boost of 500kph, and no shield loss.

Good example of this. Anyone play Ridge racer 7? Well you can enter someones draft from 300 meters away from them, and immediately catch up, basically creating everyone to be within 2 seconds at the end. This is not fun after a short period of time, especially after seeing how good the controls work and the good racing required to aquire turbo. Now there was a add on you could do to stop others from drafting you, but I am not sure if you could have online races like that.
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 3rd April 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: bad grammar