Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: another (new) IGN preview

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

you probably can't imagine what an enourmous task it is for A WHOLE LOT of people to navigate an AG craft around a narrow course, even at flower speed. As a fact, I know quite a few people who are really into games, even driving games, love the look of wipEout, and are put off by the fact they can't handle it's controls. It's bizarre, but that's how it is. I think SL should try what they can to appeal to the masses without changing the spirit and essence of wipEout, in order to make the game more popular and guarantee a budget for the next one. I think, pilot assist is a good choice to do so.

actually, now that I think about it, one of my friends totally owns me on Forza, GT, PGR, and pretty much every other (car) racing game, and I'm quite good at those, too. He is an absolute driving crack, but when we played wipEout Pure a year ago, he was absolutely lost, he couldn't get around the track clean for the life of him. We, who play wipEout a lot, don't notice anymore that wipEout is actually a LOT different than everything else out there, but for someone new to the series, it can seem impossible at first.
    Last edited by eLhabib; 30th March 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

The main problem is: new players don't know how to handle the game because nobody tells them in-game.
    Most people just jump directly into the game and do not care that there's a manual to read. Hell, I'm sure 90% of the newbies don't know BR or the option to change the dual-airbrakes into singleairbrake. Not to mention the side shift.
    There should be an introduction to the game - in-game!
    But no NFS-like **** that tells the oldies how to change the body paint. Cause when I play WOHD I'm not interested in how pitch control works or what a side shift is. I don't want to know that I should break before the curve to turn my craft without slamming into walls.
    No I don't want to hear that because I know that already because I've played the previous installments already. Thus I don't want any loading screens that tell me exactly that, either (Pulse anyone?).
    But that's me. Or the people from WOZone for that matter.
    But the whole lot out there who watches the trailer of HD and are willing to spend a few bucks into a completely new game wants to know that.
    At the beginning, that is.
    So give them a seperated introduction mode (but please don't abuse the campain/career mode for that!)

Newbies have to know, right from the start, that they can learn the game. And Oldies have to know that they can jump directly into the fun without any hints they already know, plastered all over the game.

That's what bothers me most with those lame loading screen introductions (that nobody really cares of anyway because you just see it for a few seconds): The fact that if you master the game already (or you come to the point that you finally do so) you still have to look at it every time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    ... There should be an introduction to the game - in-game! ...
    There is an in-game manual in HD (at least in the preview).
    AND stylish loading screens with a bar.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

i hate hints during loading too; in my opinion, the best choice would be develop an in-game tutorial about everything that concern handling and air brakes... design is one of the main pillar for wipeout, and shouldn't be sacrificed for those casual gamers who plays wipeout for the first time..
    Last edited by blixabargeld; 30th March 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: wrong word..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I know, eL, there is one in Pulse as well. But it's just letters and no gaming. You know what I mean? It's somewhere hidden behind some submenus and nobody takes care of it if you don't search for it. Sure it's nice to have, but I guarantee it's not the first thing a new player looks at.

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    I think SL should try what they can to appeal to the masses without changing the spirit and essence of wipEout, in order to make the game more popular and guarantee a budget for the next one.
    If that's the direction the series has to go in, I don't really want another one. There's no point in having WO games just to keep the name going if the main aim is to appeal to your mate who can't play it rather than, you know, people who actually like Wipeout.

But I agree with Sausehuhn. An in-game tutorial wouldn't go amiss for those who need it. After that, well, if they can't play it they can buy Burnout or Wii Fit or something.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

See that's exactly the problem. If the game is too hard for the casual gamer (sadly over 70% of the people who BUY games), they will just go and buy Burnout INSTEAD. Means wipEout does horribly in sales, means that will be the end of it. You have to see the money side of things. The approach they are taking with the pilot assist is a good idea imho, in any way much better than bringing the overall style, soundtrack, menu design, and GAMEPLAY ITSELF closer to mass market. If wipeEout wasn't by SL - a part of SCEE - but by an independent third party studio, I'm sure they would've dropped the whole wipEout franchise long ago, because it just didn't sell well enough. Sad but true. Being aware of this, I'm very happy to see a pilot assist feature, because it may lay the foundation for more titles (and even downloadable content for HD) to come.

But yes, a playable tutorial that takes you for a spin at different speeds and introduces you to the game would be perfect. Who knows, maybe they thought of it anyway - we'll see.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Martin and Max i am fully agree with you. We are hardcore gamers but we realize that to save Wipeout franchise, developers need to find a way to hit the casual gamer target, which can generate more profits and let Wipeout alive for a long time.

I'm just not so sure there'd be anything worth saving in that scenario.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Na it will be good mate, just turn it off, and race. Don't worry about it. It wont affect "your" game play and as was said above. More sales is good for SL. I don't know about you, but I want more WO.

I may not love this game but I'll be damned if i'm going to have a PS3 with no Wipeout

i dont know how it affects anyone negatively, if it directly changed anything in the physics or on the gameplay of anyone that doesnt use it, that would be bad, but otherwise i dont see the wrong on it.

That being said i always favor a more realistic type of playing when vehicles are concerned in a game, and i wouldnt use the assist, because its only an option, and it definitely detracts from the immersion and fun.

But how does it hurt by just being an option?, there are more disadvantages in using it, namely a lower top speed; now thats a lot more crippling.

Al makes a good point talking against other stuff that would hurt more, the handicaps of giving better weapons at pilots behind, and some games that gave a speed boost to racers behind, like indy500 or daytona series, sega did this all the time and that was a totally unfair advantage, as the pilot behind usually waited until the last moment in the final lap and made you crash, which made a surefire win to the cheating player.

*i needed to read better, it alters your top speed as well as making you bounce earlier from walls as G´kyl said.

this is just coming from logical deduction but those are definitely 2 important disadvantages, and in the end you can always brag about how you won without any assist...
    Last edited by Mano; 30th March 2008 at 11:47 PM.

The pilot assist is handicapped in such a way that no player with pilot assist on can compete with the high end wipeout players. It cuts thrust when it engages and the top speed is capped.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Aaaaaaah, thanks for the relief.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

The only thing I really hope is that races with the pilot assist do not count for the record tables. Or at least they are seperated.
    Because I can imagine that there may be a track where the assist gives you advantages. And I don't wanna see any thread that goes like"TrackName is faster with assist turned on!" or something along these lines.

And of course you should have the option to turn it off for multiplayer races.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

No option to turn it off in multiplayer, just no option at all to put it on in multiplayer. Multiplayer is just the ships, the track, the opponents and your own skill, oh yeah and the luck of weapons! Hihi.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

same thing happen in music biz, when you have to choose between market and artistic credibility.
    I prefer not to have any more wipeout than having one which is burnout-like (or simply similar to al the EA crap)
    Or maybe Sl could make two version of the game, one for hardcore gamers and one more "commercial"...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Multiplayer is just the ships, the track, the opponents and your own skill, oh yeah and the luck of weapons! Hihi.
    You're laughing now...

;-)

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    HISHO-JP-

Default Gamespot preview

Here
    with (same as ign) screens and (different from ign a little) videos

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpot
    Sixaxis motion control is set to off by default, but Wipeout fans may get a kick out of trying the control system.
    yeah... RIGHT

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

Quote Originally Posted by blixabargeld View Post
    I prefer not to have any more wipeout than having one which is burnout-like (or simply similar to al the EA crap)
    Why is there so much hate for Burnout? It seems like the variety allowed for in two such great racing games causes division rather than celebration. I feel so alienated for liking both