Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another (new) IGN preview

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Default another (new) IGN preview

New IGN preview published today (March 28th)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/862/862824p1.html

Pilot assist? I didn't know about that but probably just because I failed to read the fine print in one of the other previews

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

it's basically just acting like a strong magnetic field that pushes you away from the banks to avoid scraping and crashing. I hope it can be set to mandatory disable in multiplayer, because it IS cheating, practically.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Thumbs down

No piloting assists please

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

useful after barrer rolls: you could even point a wall and still avoid from crashing on it..

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

relax, guys. this is for people new to the series, and it definitely makes the game enjoyable for someone who couldn't handle the ship otherwise. it's not like you can get any ace times easily that way. in order to bring wipEout closer to the masses (read: casual gamer), I think this is a very good feature to put in.
    If SL really forget to make an option for multiplayer to restrict the pilot assist, then everything is lost that can be, but I don't think this is gonna happen.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I'm not really worried-- just surprised. It sounds like Pilot Assist slows down your ship so it's probably (hopefully) only meaningful for competition amongst newcomers to the game. If that's the case, it really *might* be helpful for introducing new players to the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

no, it doesn't slow down your ship (at least not that I've noticed) - it just keeps you off the walls.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Paradoxx

Thumbs down

What is the aim of the race if you don't need to know how to control your ship ? Excuse me but... I don't want to buy "Train Simulator" !
    I don't think that it's a good feature. When developers think their games for the "casual gamers", the games become too easy or too repetitive for the "real gamers"... Consequently, the real gamers go away and the "casual gamers" don't play more than before, because they're casual gamers ... and the serie takes a bad reputation because of being not as good as before.

Please, don't make this game funny for my parents. Thanks...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

again, RELAX. you haven't seen the pilot assist in action yet. it's just fine. helps beginners to enjoy the game right from the start, and that's exactly what it's there for. Doesn't mean they will even stand a chance against a skilled pilot.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Yep, it bounces you off the wall so early and forcefully there is no way rookies will beat even less experienced pilots. Also, if you let go off the steering, you'll still crash into the wall. It's no AP - it's probably just there to prevent your own "contender eliminated" on Outpost7 or something. ;-)

Ben

It's quite ridiculous. Even a game like Mario Kart doesn't need some mode that stops you crashing into walls. Probably more appealing to people with no thumbs I guess. That 'no thumb' demographic is rarely targeted so they're probably hoping to get in first.

What if experienced pilots use pilot assist? Will they be faster? If there`s any way to take advantage of pilot assist many players will do so. I`m praying there`s no way that pilot assist times can be entered into the records, or it may be used/abused and the game be broken.

I would expect they'd have thought of that. Or at least, I'd hope. Top speeds are probably throttled with it on. After all, if someone moves past Venom, they have no business using something like this.

I`m sure you`re right I think it`s an alright idea for the "casual" market, children and shandy-drinking southern lightweights, so long as it`s kept completely separate and the "proper" game isn`t affected by it. If this is so, and it helps fill the Wipeout coffers for more games in the future then I`m all for it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Firstly, I think there definitely will be an option to force it off in multiplayer (because there it really IS an advantage, not having a rocket smack you against the wall and such), and secondly, for TT I don't see it as a threat, because it pushes you to the center of the track if you come close to the sides, so ideal racelines (as close to the inside as possible) would be prevented by the system.

HORRIBLE, yes that needed caps. Are you kidding me with this, if you need auto assist at venom speeds, you just need some practice. This is no different than(no let me think, worse than speed boosts to the person who is behind like in hydro thunder or star wars racer, basically ruining the game for people who want to be good at the game). People are already cheating enough on the times tables for wipeout-game.com, than to add this. It sounds like you cannot get the best time, but a pretty good one still. Please take this out, this is not going to attract casual gamers. This also partially ruined wo64 with the person in behind getting every good weapon, and the person leading getting shields or mines.

I know this is not coming out, but at the very least make the ship go considerably slower(at least on rapier and phantom)

PSN ID
    Axellink

Hey, I loved WO64!!! But the weapons was predictable though lol. Ok well I hope thats two things we can turn off in multiplayer. BR's and Assists. Imagine everybody doing BR's after every jump throughout the whole race.............

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I don't think anyone needs pilot assist on venom. the thing is, as soon as the speed gets cranked up to rapier, casual gamers lose control and scrape a lot. in order to still provide a fun experience, the pilot assist does its job. but again, it's NOT as if someone could get a better time WITH pilot assist than WITHOUT. it doesn't even let you do most of the things ace pilots do, such as staying as close as possible to the inside of a turn, or even cutting turns over the sidewall sometimes. also, pilot assist of course does NOT work in zone mode.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Paradoxx

The casual gamers hate Wipeout (look at the forums), so please, let them play on their F-Zero, and don't change our game because of them !

eL, I'm not quite understanding the logic there. If a player is putting in Venom and Flash time, Rapier is simply a step up from those. That's when assists and helping hands should be dropped, not introduced. If assists were available in Rapier, then they should just drop Venom and Flash altogether and make Rapier the default speed because, right now, they are the training classes.

If they're going to have assists at all, it should be right at the start in the earliest classes. I would have thought the point was to overcome that initial introductory difficulty.

But then, if anyone can't handle the Driving Miss Daisy class of Venom, I'd say they bought the wrong game.

Or maybe the way things are going and given the people the WO team seem to be so desperate to appeal to, they bought the right game and it is us who'll be buying the wrong game.