Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zen Speed Class

Default Zen Speed Class

This would be an awesome addition to the wipeout series, barring slowing down phantom to make zen the top speed. The speed classes I would like to see in Wipeout Hd would be

1)vector
    2)venom
    3)rapier
    4)phantom
    5)Zen

Never liked the flash name, and didn't really know why vector wasn't just sped up. Maybe I wouldn't have minded flash, if it was the top speed, since flash is known for speed, but as is, don't really like it. Or, more accurately, I like the Vector name better.
    What speed classes would you like to see in wipeout HD, and any additional comments

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Yeah. The originals you mentioned. Mabye a 5th class, faster than Pulse's Phantom, too.
    It took me very long to control Pulse's Phantom and I'm still struggeling at some tracks, but yeah, sometimes I wouldn't mind something faster.

Not sure if "Zen" should be the name for that class, but it's miles ahead over "Flash" which sounds just like a cheap rip-off to me.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Agreed I dislike Flash also it doesn't fit and sounds like cheapy rubbish, not good ditching vector so that could stay in the game. :-:-:-

As for Zen being a class above Phantom, that would be outrageous considering Pulse Phantom is pretty swift. Be interesting to see how many pilots would actually use it, also I feel it might be a little impossible on some tracks.

Vector
    Venom
    Rapier
    Phantom
    Zen

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Don't think I could ever like having another speed above Phantom. "Phantom" seems to imply it must be the fastest. So fast you can barely see it, like a phantom. I agree they could either make it faster or make the tracks harder, like they were in Wip3out and previous.

And yes, vector should be back and flash out to the dustbin.

I think they could just bump the speed up a bit in each class. "Venom" in Pulse feels like vector to me anyways. So Pulse's venom = Vector, flash = Venom, rapier = Rapier, duh! but a tad faster, and phantom = Phantom, but faster.

There isn't the "oh-my-goodness-I-can't-handle-this" shock when you go up a speed class in Pulse. At least it didn't seem like it to me. The other wipeouts had this and it made the speed classes feel necessary.

There should be a bigger gap in speed between the classes IMO.

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

Zen is the perfect name for W'O's fastest class, methinks, since it's very meditative racing at that speed. You almost stop thinking consciously, focussing only on what is actually happening at the current moment. Which roughly describes the state of mind one likes to accomplish with Zen Buddhism. Among many other things.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I know one thing, the weapons would need to move a little faster you know? I don't like how they move so slowly in Pulse compared to Pure, why was that necessary? It's bad enough the plasma often just explodes into the track half the time go back to Pures way please.

rapier wrote, "As for Zen being a class above Phantom, that would be outrageous considering Pulse Phantom is pretty swift"

Although not even close to as fast as zone gets going while still being controllable, and not as fast as zone's fastest speed on fusion(though nothing else is either). I'm not saying it should be as fast as that, just somewhere in between, maybe 20% more

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Don't think I could ever like having another speed above Phantom. "Phantom" seems to imply it must be the fastest. So fast you can barely see it, like a phantom.
    Wouldn't Vector be un - seeable given that it may seem slow at 400+ Km/h, but actually isn't?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Yeah I guess 20% more sounds good, course I'm thinking that all ships would have to be realistically usable in this class, Triakis and Piranha might become overly difficult to use.

It's the challenge of coping with the seemlingly impossible that Al relishes.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

Definitely agree with dumping Flash. Actually I dont think the speedclasses is something that needs to be changed (from the previous games).

Vector
    Venom
    Rapier
    Phantom

..is all that is needed. But I sure like the Zen name, so maybe put one more above phantom just because of the name. Otherwise, just having it in zonemode works.

The important thing is to have a big step between the classes, like someone already said. When you change class it should feel almost uncontrollable at first.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Zen is the perfect name for W'O's fastest class, methinks, since it's very meditative racing at that speed. You almost stop thinking consciously, focussing only on what is actually happening at the current moment. Which roughly describes the state of mind one likes to accomplish with Zen Buddhism. Among many other things.
    But it would be impossible to have a quick play on the bus, for example.. As for phantom class in pulse, I sometimes noticed that some tracks doesn't looks like something built with that speed in mind.. Outpost 7 seem not to be created with phantom class-speed in mind, maybe just kandang and asayyeah are able to going trough it easily that fast..
    anyway, phantom is enough, imho, and I don't dislike "flash" name too much.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Muse View Post
    Hahaha or have you thought about it in terms of relativity , relative to how fast you're going maybe you're going so fast everything in the world around you feels slowmo , or after playing in zen mode for too long things in the real world feel uber slow and thus gives you a feeling of relaxation..ala zen

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

or maybe you just become schizoid..

one question, did i came up with this zen name or was it decided before i posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mano View Post
    In TT forget about agressiveness and become a mm precision machine (Zen of racing), on SR and Multiplayer you will need to master both and a lot of trickery.

probably was there before i mentioned it but really, i didnt knew of it since i have been away from the forums from a long time ago, nice coincidence.

*edit: just found out pulse already has a zen stage in zone mode... ... man i am officially a wipeout newbie.
    Last edited by Mano; 5th April 2008 at 01:24 PM.

Control in phantom is the price that we have when we make perfect laps, a reward for that perfect laps, should be a Zen class, more faster, for those that think phantom is slow.

Go ahead, i should try to achieve that reward.

PSN ID
    technicolour

Well, my idea would be this, design the game with phantom, rapier, flash/venom vector/venom whatever, test it, make sure it's bug free, and once you're done with all that, tack 'Zen' on the end, make it a good deal faster than phantom. Not as a proper part of the game, but as a gift to us, make it hard to unlock, we'll love you for it SL.

... yeah, and I'm sure QA and localisation would love us for it, too. 'Cos they just adore last-minute features

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

*Idea* when you get a perfect lap in zen, the hud message thingy should say "Holy S***! how good ARE you?" or a message from the programmer I think it would be good for the SL team to be able to stick in an easter egg or two...

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Thats an interesting idea, but then I'd have a load of text constantly filling up my screen and thats not good at Phantom as it is