Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a Blu-Ray retail version of WipeoutHD be released?

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Default Will a Blu-Ray retail version of WipeoutHD be released?

Hey there
    You're probably all asking why the hell would I want buy a physical disk version of the game when I can just buy it online and download it ? .
    Well as you can see I'm from South Africa ,and we're living in the stone-age as far as internet connections are concerned . Our internet is also ridiculously expensive compared to most other countries in the world .

I have a 384 k adsl connection which I pay 600 rand a month for which equates to 45 Euros , which gives me around 30 - 40kb/s download speeds along with a 3gigabyte data cap per month(that's 3 gigs for uploads and downloads added together) . Once you reach your cap fyour internet is cut off completely for the rest of the month unless you top-up your cap , priced at 130 rand a gig , roughly 10 Euros .

Now WipeoutHD being a game with lots of High resolution content I can only imagine it will be at least a couple of gigs to download . Lets assume it were 4 gigs that would mean on top of the price I pay for it online I would end up spending an extra 40 - 60 euros .

So does anyone know if a Blu-Ray version of the game will be sold , I know for GT5-prologue their is a Blu-Ray retail version .

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

wow, I feel much better about NZ internet pricing after reading that.
    sorry, I don't mean to sound smug, but I honestly thought we were getting stung badly till reading your post.

I don't know whether there'll be a bluray version, but another annoying thing is you can't even download it to removable storage and transport the installer around (not being able to do this with demos has been annoying me for a while)
    I wish you luck with finding a solution

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    HISHO-JP-

The annouced version is downloadable only...

But I want Blu-Ray retail version if it's available.

Because the region of US & JP Blu-Ray are same.
    So if Blu-Ray version is released in US,
    JP users may be able to play WOHD in JP PS3
     without download problem in PSN!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

All Ps3 games are playable on Ps3s all over the world. So it doesnt matter where you import it from.
    And I would buy the BD-version of WOHD if it where available, I want my games on the wall, not on the HDD. There are lots of reasons why a disc is better imo.

(its the blu-ray movies that have regions, and there us and jap are the same yes..)
    Last edited by Lance; 27th March 2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Redundant quote removed.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Wow!, I didn`t know that but I knew they were extremes.

I`m using best connection available (turns out to be utter shite!), which I use unlimited connection.

Yes, I`m actually hoping for a Wipeout HD disc. So I can add to my collection.

stevie

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

lol stevie *cough its not unlimited either cough*

Doubt you will ever see it on Blu Ray it's got PSN exclusive plastered everywhere, remember the costs would increase if they slapped it on a disk, would that really be logical considering what the game is? Think about this from a causal gaming assholes perspective.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

ship ur ps3 over to me in aus and i'll dl it for you... and... give it back (maybe).

because it's downloaded and running off the hard-drive, do you think that it would run better than off a disc, as it doesn't have to cache the bluray disc onto the drive all the time?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

My sense has been that Wipeout HD is being positioned as the "crown jewel" of the PSN service-- and that as such, the game would probably end up being PSN exclusive (no blu-ray) for a long time, maybe forever.

My sense is also that a game that is downloaded to the hard-drive will (if anything) run more smoothly than a blu-ray-based game because the PS3 won't have to spin the disc and search/read information. On the other hand, downloads are a pain in the ass because of DRM issues and regional differences in release dates (see: extra tracks for Wipeout Pulse) so I'd personally rather own the game on blu-ray.

Anyway-- that's all just speculation-- not like I really know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Think about this from a causal gaming assholes perspective.
    I think that most casual gamer's assholes see a lot of couch cushions and don't have strong feelings one way or the other

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

People who buy online = People who play online
    People who buy in a shop = People that may play online

Sony wants to push forward the PSN and its possibilities, focussing on online-play. An online-only game can easily achieve that.

[rant]: }looks at the present and into the future, then says} Blu-Ray is an already dead format pretending that it is and will continue to be the state-of-the-art thing for the foreseeable future. Flash memory, or something very like it will soon eliminate Blu-Ray from the market. Sony will never recoup the money they spent on Blu-Ray development, on defeating HD-DVD, and on marketing.[/rant] {always close your hypertext tags{

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Do you really think that or have you just bought into the wishful thinking of MicroSoft & Apple?

If you've invested in an HD TV, have a quality surround sound set up and a good amplifier, the last thing you'll want to do is pay Steve Jobs through the arse for a 720p movie download from iTunes with a single audio track that's compressed to hell.

What you want is 1080p and high end uncompressed audio, and that's where Blu-Ray outstrips some mythical download service.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Besides, Blu - Ray discs have a 50 GB Capacity IIRC, so there is a lot of space to work with compared to 2GB download that 'HD might be.(It could be larger, 2GB is a rough estimate).

Yes, I really think that, and it has nothing to do with MicroSoft or Apple or download; it has to do with an already available portable mass data storage form reaching moderately high capacity and reasonable cost per gigabyte plus natively greater speed of data access and transfer, hence reaching practicality and desirability, before Blu-Ray can ever pay for itself. The disc as a data storage form is doomed in the near future.

Maybe if they had started with UV wavelength lasers, they would have bought themselves enough time to stave off solid-state circuitry for long enough to make a profit.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

Yes, it should run faster on the HD than the b-r disc, but not significantly.

Want proof, look at Devil May Cry 4.

DVD will be the most popular format for a few more years, and Blu Ray will dominate for a decade at least.
    Sure in the future downloads are the way but there are huge markets in developing countries that wont be ready for broadband explosion for decades as such dvd etc will be manufactured and be popular.
    The ps2 continues to sell huge numbers, not in the uk but in eastern europe and asia and africa and the like - places that arent necessarily on the cutting edge so to speak cant afford ps3s but a ps2 for £60-80 and 6000+ games.. . so in 5-10 when the ps3 is on its way out in the 'rich countries' it will be around in the other countries and blu ray will be thriving there still

In 10yrs time, there might be dload services for some parts of europe and america and japan that are awesome for hd content, but many countries wont have that infrastructure as such dvds or blu rays or whatever you can buy in shops then, will remain popular

I think, anyway

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

You've just hit the nail on the head there. I mean, I bought the original Half - Life (Pre - owned as Valve have discontinued it), for an insignificant £7. That £7 would be worth quite a bit to someone in an LEDC, whilst to us, it is nothing.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I used to be more enthused about the prospects for digital downloading as a means of distributing media (movies, audio, whatever)-- before I noticed how much damn harddrive space it takes up!

Even for "gimped" quality stuff (e.g., iTunes video), it will fill your hard-drive in a hurry. Sure, you can delete stuff after watching, but there are no guarantees of being able to freely download it again in the future, even for free content (podcasts). Sure, you can archive the stuff, but using DVDs it is a real chore. (Ironically, blu-ray would be real help with that.)

There is also the issue of diminishing the "free" space on the hard-drive, and in fragmenting the hard-drive, such that overall performance of the computer is diminished.

So even for me, a hardcore Apple supporter and somebody that in general likes what iTunes offers to the consumer-- I have concluded that heavy reliance on digital downloads would require me to purchase a dedicated media hub mac, at a cost of >$1,500. It would also require considerable effort for maintenance and archiving material.

At the moment, it's not worth it to me-- and so I primarily use DVDs and CDs for media, and will be taking the plunge to blu-ray before too long.

Ten years out-- when some of the issues have been resolved-- I have no doubt that digital distribution will be the standard.

An interesting discussion. I come down on the download side I think. I think DVD isn't going anywhere soon. As pointed out, many countries won't be moving to Blu-Ray or anything else for quite some time. But I don't think the outcome of that will be that Blu-Ray dominates at that point. I think it will more likely be that Blu-Ray is bypassed and the huge move will be from DVD to downloads.

The weird thing is, if iTunes and similar services (and even illegal torrents etc) has been any indicator, huge numbers of people will quite happily take reduced quality for ease of availability and use. The 1080p and uncompressed audio doesn't mean a huge amount to most people and the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray even on a ginormous great HD telly isn't anywhere near the previous jumps from VHS to DVD or even tape to CD. It's just not that much of a draw.

Where I'm really curious about the long-term effects is in the move to DRM-free audio downloads. I've you've bought a high-quality DRM-free audio track, there is no reason on the planet to buy it again. Up to now, music companies have been able to resell music on each move but I think that's going to come to an end as people build up their own libraries digitally in formats they can move to any new systems or players. They'll probably remaster loads in different formats like 5.1 or whatever as a new draw but I'd be amazed if that gets repeat sales in the way the move to CD did.

I see this happening with video too. Once you get to a certain resolution and audio quality, unless you own an actual cinema, there's nowhere to go. And once you've got those files, you've got them.

But anyway, yeah, I see the move to downloads as being the next big format. I have no doubt Blu-ray will do well but I think don't think it's the future of video.

Tech stupid question, but doesn't keeping the high video quality of a 1080p game take up a huge amount of space on memory, I know in music, CDs sound better than downloaded music(very small difference, but one just the same), maybe because they are compressed?
    I like Dvds, looks cool on the shelf. If the downloading thing takes over, I'll have to put snow globes up there, please don't let it happen.

Lance did you buy an HD dvd player?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Yes, they do take up a lot of space.

However, as we know from our good friends Mr Jobs and Mr Gates, media hubs with over half a terrabyte of storage are so cheap and mass market that you'll be able to pay them so that you can store all ten of your favourite movies and a couple of seasons worth of your two favourite shows.

What? You have more than ten favourite movies? And more than two favourite shows?