Thread: Will a Blu-Ray retail version of WipeoutHD be released?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 2

Default Will a Blu-Ray retail version of WipeoutHD be released?

Hey there
    You're probably all asking why the hell would I want buy a physical disk version of the game when I can just buy it online and download it ? .
    Well as you can see I'm from South Africa ,and we're living in the stone-age as far as internet connections are concerned . Our internet is also ridiculously expensive compared to most other countries in the world .

I have a 384 k adsl connection which I pay 600 rand a month for which equates to 45 Euros , which gives me around 30 - 40kb/s download speeds along with a 3gigabyte data cap per month(that's 3 gigs for uploads and downloads added together) . Once you reach your cap fyour internet is cut off completely for the rest of the month unless you top-up your cap , priced at 130 rand a gig , roughly 10 Euros .

Now WipeoutHD being a game with lots of High resolution content I can only imagine it will be at least a couple of gigs to download . Lets assume it were 4 gigs that would mean on top of the price I pay for it online I would end up spending an extra 40 - 60 euros .

So does anyone know if a Blu-Ray version of the game will be sold , I know for GT5-prologue their is a Blu-Ray retail version .

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

wow, I feel much better about NZ internet pricing after reading that.
    sorry, I don't mean to sound smug, but I honestly thought we were getting stung badly till reading your post.

I don't know whether there'll be a bluray version, but another annoying thing is you can't even download it to removable storage and transport the installer around (not being able to do this with demos has been annoying me for a while)
    I wish you luck with finding a solution

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    HISHO-JP-

The annouced version is downloadable only...

But I want Blu-Ray retail version if it's available.

Because the region of US & JP Blu-Ray are same.
    So if Blu-Ray version is released in US,
    JP users may be able to play WOHD in JP PS3
     without download problem in PSN!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

All Ps3 games are playable on Ps3s all over the world. So it doesnt matter where you import it from.
    And I would buy the BD-version of WOHD if it where available, I want my games on the wall, not on the HDD. There are lots of reasons why a disc is better imo.

(its the blu-ray movies that have regions, and there us and jap are the same yes..)
    Last edited by Lance; 27th March 2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Redundant quote removed.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Wow!, I didn`t know that but I knew they were extremes.

I`m using best connection available (turns out to be utter shite!), which I use unlimited connection.

Yes, I`m actually hoping for a Wipeout HD disc. So I can add to my collection.

stevie

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

lol stevie *cough its not unlimited either cough*

Doubt you will ever see it on Blu Ray it's got PSN exclusive plastered everywhere, remember the costs would increase if they slapped it on a disk, would that really be logical considering what the game is? Think about this from a causal gaming assholes perspective.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

ship ur ps3 over to me in aus and i'll dl it for you... and... give it back (maybe).

because it's downloaded and running off the hard-drive, do you think that it would run better than off a disc, as it doesn't have to cache the bluray disc onto the drive all the time?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

My sense has been that Wipeout HD is being positioned as the "crown jewel" of the PSN service-- and that as such, the game would probably end up being PSN exclusive (no blu-ray) for a long time, maybe forever.

My sense is also that a game that is downloaded to the hard-drive will (if anything) run more smoothly than a blu-ray-based game because the PS3 won't have to spin the disc and search/read information. On the other hand, downloads are a pain in the ass because of DRM issues and regional differences in release dates (see: extra tracks for Wipeout Pulse) so I'd personally rather own the game on blu-ray.

Anyway-- that's all just speculation-- not like I really know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Think about this from a causal gaming assholes perspective.
    I think that most casual gamer's assholes see a lot of couch cushions and don't have strong feelings one way or the other