Thread: HD preview build hands-on

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Default HD preview build hands-on

Just had a spin on the preview build of wipEout HD, thought I'd share the experience with you (without spoilers, of course).

First off, it's BLISS (but you knew that already).
    Steering with the analog nub needed a bit getting used to (and after 3 hours I still didn't quite manage the hairpin at Chenghou), but it definitely works, and precise.
    The pressure sensitive R2/L2 is great for sophisticated airbraking, however the double tap for sideshift is quite hard to pull off consistently.
    Steering with the sixaxis works, technically, but is useless at high speeds (read: anything above flash), but sixaxis for pitch control is bliss.
    Zone mode is pure eyecandy, although a bit too easy imo. Zen state is SWEET though.
    Photo mode works perfectly, took 3 snapshots for you to ogle at.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...0HD/missed.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...HD/airtime.jpg
    http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...%20HD/boom.jpg

That's it for now, will play some more tonight and answer whatever questions I can.
    Cheers,
    eL

Timezone
    GMT + 10

I'm so glad they implemented sixaxis pitch control! What I saw after wipeout 3 was far less focused on pitch, craft tended to hug the track and it took away that extra depth from the originals. Anyway, looks like that's changed now! But can't you steer with the d-pad? I hope there's good music controls (right stick?), too.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

Very cool pics , the one with the jump is amazing with the blur, and the Qirex shot is just pure sweetness

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

thanks! you can still steer with the d-pad, of course. right analog stick lets you move the camera around a bit (not like you'd have the time to do that mid-race).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

One very nice thing I just noticed is that there actually is a tiny drone flying around the track, projecting your ghost onto the track. Very nice ATD!
    BRs are still hit and miss, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Can't tell if it's a problem with my thumb, or the way it was on the PSP, a frame issue.
    Furthermore, the controls are actually so incredibly precise that the skillcut on Anulpha Pass isn't really a SKILL cut anymore... there's just no way to miss it, unless you are being fired at.
    Real shame there are no replays though. I've had so many moments in these few hours with the preview build, I could've taken a TON of awesome images from the replays. But the way it is, the only way to get a good snapshot is to instantly pause the game whenever something cool happens. And that's not an option for multiplayer, of course

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

What? They must have replays. That is the only way photomode would actually be used. Like in PGR 4 for example. And there you can upload the replay too.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Thanks for the impressions! Very cool to hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib View Post
    BRs are still hit and miss, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Can't tell if it's a problem with my thumb, or the way it was on the PSP, a frame issue.
    That's disappointing-- hopefully this is fixed in the final version.

We all sort of work around the BR problems in Pure and in Pulse-- and I can understand the framerate factor affecting BR on the lesser-powered PSP hardware-- but on the PS3, I really hope that BRs are consistently "read" by the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

what is this 'zen state' you mentioned??? is it a mode??? can't help but wonder if a thread I started awhile back on the 'zen of WipEout' had any influence on this...if it is a mode...cause that would be just wicked...

I'm more concerned bout the sixaxis...how does it feel??? intuitive??? CAN you set it to steering or is it only primarily for pitch control...

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Zen is a speed class you can only reach in Zone mode.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I wasn't gonna spoil that, but yes, that's correct.
    Sixaxis steering is utter CRAP, just tried it with every possible sensitivity setting, it just doesn't work (at least for me it doesn't).
    Sixaxis pitch control is quite ok I guess, but the analog nub does it better.
    The Sixaxis IS however implemented in a very nice way at another point of the game, nothing special, but a nice touch. Won't spoil it though.
    Someone asked about button configurations and music control, so I checked that out today. You can reassign every button individually, which is nice. I set my airbrakes to R1/L1 because I just can't sideshift with the springy R2/L2 buttons. In the standard config, R1 is the rear view and L1 is voice chat (for online play). I wonder why you have to press a button for that, but I guess it keeps down the bandwith. There is NO music control while racing, all you can do is pause the game and change your music there. Custom playlists work nicely, by the way.
    Furthermore, I managed to hit a bomb today, and it's not as bad as I expected. does slow you down a lot, but nowhere near anything ridiculous like in Pure, where it could actually send you flying backwards.
    If any of you have any more specific questions (or screenshot requests ), tell me asap, tommorrow is my last chance to play the preview, so I'll try to answer your requests.