Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too hard?

Default too hard?

This is the first wipeout game I've ever played, so there was a significant learning curve (as it is very different from most racing games)

I now feel that I am at an intermediate level (I have 111 golds from the first 10 grids) but have hit a speed bump with that crazy outpost 7 level. Cant even get bronze with my assegai.

I'm the type that doesn't like to move on to a new grid unless I get all golds in the current grid, so this is a frustrating obstacle...and I feel I can't get any better.

this game is too hard!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

The game is too hard because you can't crack one track?

Outpost 7 referring more to the black is a complete disaster, offering little enjoyment hence the less than 50 laps I have on my records but not impossible by any means. Just do a long eliminator or some speed lap sessions on it to practice.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Perhaps its not the track but you choice in racing craft - assagai (imo) is a beginner's ship, even more so than feisar. Try using Piranha or ag-sys....or Qirex if you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    The game is too hard because you can't crack one track?

Outpost 7 referring more to the black is a complete disaster, offering little enjoyment hence the less than 50 laps I have on my records but not impossible by any means. Just do a long eliminator or some speed lap sessions on it to practice.
    well it's only grid 10, so there are 6 more grids, which are only going to get harder...which doesn't bode well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by q_dmc12 View Post
    Perhaps its not the track but you choice in racing craft - assagai (imo) is a beginner's ship, even more so than feisar. Try using Piranha or ag-sys....or Qirex if you dare.
    well, outpost 7 is deadly because of the killer turns, I don't think I'll do better with a vehicle with less handling

I guess I'll just practice it more
    Last edited by Lance; 23rd February 2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Merged two immediately consecutive posts from same person.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

you never know.....less handling means more drifting...

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Which could also mean more wall

*Shakes fist at Assegai beginner ship label people*

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

hehe, wanna fight about it?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    o3pcah

just keep racing. on o7 it can easily feel as if you dont get better, but at some point it makes "click" and then it just works. the hardes enemy might be the weapons of the others, cause you cant change them .

heh. I knew that was coming when I saw the earlier Assegai description.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Which could also mean more wall

I second that notion a bit. I was using Piranha before picking up Assegai. I was picking up golds but it just wasn't as easy as it is with Assegai. I'm sure I'll go back to Piranha since it's the fastest ship and also since I magically discovered how to enter and exit corners better through Assegai.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

It just takes some practice and a lot of airbraking/sideshifting. You'll get it one way or the other. By the way I think Pulse is the easiest wipeout ever made, track and handling-wise. It's just the AI can make learning the track a real pain if you get to Single Race before TT. Just go to Racebox and TT the track until you get it. Have fun!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

its not too hard, your still just starting out, all you gotta do is practice, like everyone else said, you'll get there. Champions aren't born over night

this next bit is not a bash or a put down to any one who says feisar is for beginners, its just my opinion so please don't flag

P.S.-i like the "feisar is a begginer ship" comment. in my opinion ( not becuase i have always used feisar more than anything else in every WO) it is actually more challenging, you have to rely more on your racing technique and for weapons in multi-play rather than getting a boost in first and blowing thorugh straights with pirahna. dont get me wrong pirahna takes quite some skill in high speed class with a cruddy handling rating. But to have "7" for speed and 10 for handling, how does that qualify for beginner? just means we have to try extra hard on races like fort gale and moa therma and any race with huge straights. as for TT with feisar, to those pirahnas in the top 10 in flash and rapier on some races. I bested your times, and you got your time beat by the beginner ship . ive only just begun my top 10 work with feisar since i just finished getting all my golds, but on the note of moa therma flash...3rd place feisar, i guess im happy and maybe have too much feisar pride

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Right, feisar if you really look at it may or may not be considered a beginner ship - yes the handling is stelar but the speed sucks. I take great pride when I get 1st place in a race with piranha and triakis and the lot with my little feisar.

Hmm, seems I kinda contradicted my previous post in a way....ah well, guess I just wanted to get under RR's skin.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I have really grown to like O7 black. I hated it when I first unlocked it but it is one of my favorite tracks now. For the two curves of death just swirve to the outside before the turn, cut the thrusters and turn in while holding the proper air brake down. Repeate immediately. The nasty "jut" at just before the finish line stretch is what always catches me. Oh, and don't use the mag strip bridge.

PSN ID
    technicolour

cut the thrusters
    Blasphamy! You hold down that X till the end!

Timezone
    GMT -6

LOL! You do that, buddy. I for one will keep my paint.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I for one, love the difficulty level of Wipeout Pulse. It's very challenging, without being totally impossible on Hard difficulty. It's a refreshing change from those times where I'd intentionally slow up to manufacture some thrilling finishes, let me tell you. And the quicker launches from the AI are a nice touch.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 25th February 2008 at 09:23 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

We shall meet online DMC *much fist shaking*. Imagine your craft ending up in pieces at the hands of a beginner ship with crappy shields

Is Outpost 7 the hardest level? cuz if there's a harder level, I'm screwed.

Also, are there areas I can do barrel rolls in outpost 7 (if so, how many and where)?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

If it's too hard you're too weak

Seriously, keep practicing and you'll get there. Like everybody else did.
    If by hard you mean pulling off good times, then no, I don't think O7 is the hardest track, I find Platinum Rush and DeKonstruct Black much harder on Phantom. We had an interesting discussion a while ago.
    On O7 there are the obvious BRs when going up the bridge and dropping down, but you'd want to neglect the bridge and go for the faster way at the bottom. There's two BR opportunities on the White run: The first after the two BPs next to the bridge's ramp, just lift your nose and you'll gain some airtime -> BR.
    Second is on the bump under the bridge.
    On the Black run there's only one afaik and it's pretty obvious too: At the end of the bridge section just BR a the uphill part before the hard right turn.
    BTW, there's BRs on each and every track, you just have to find them Usually lifting your nose at higher speeds gives enough airtime or taking an unorthodox line through a bumpy corner sends you off too. Try different lines and techniques and you'll find them.
    Last edited by phl0w; 27th February 2008 at 10:16 AM.