Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much better would this game look at 333 cpu?

Not two accounts, just one to submit times, the one running at the correct speed. the other would be for personal use, until maybe at some point in the future sony opens up this option.

PSN ID
    Collymilad

If it's anything like GTA it would be a lot smoother.

I have seen a PSP playing GTA:LCS on 333Mhz, and it went from having quite frequent hitches at 222Mhz to being almost completely smooth.

Not sure if wipeout would be affected in the same way though.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    Not two accounts, just one to submit times, the one running at the correct speed. the other would be for personal use, until maybe at some point in the future sony opens up this option.
    Right-- for those running CFW right now, this is clearly the correct thing to do.

My point is that, in the long run, there may be so many people that have switched to running the game at 333, that everybody will need to do so in order to be competitive with time trial events. It seems almost inevitable, which is unfortunate because I don't really want to have to mess around with CFW.

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    ... until maybe at some point in the future sony opens up this option.
    That's never going to happen IMHO. As Colin says, Sony is already putting unprecedented efforts into maintaining the online components of the game. A decision to migrate to 333 seems like a decision that the fanbase-- the online community as a whole has-- to make
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 8th March 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: clarity

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    I do worry that, in the end, we will all have to use CFW at 333 to participate competitively in time trialing
    Oh, don't worry about that eventuality.
    To participate competitively requires only one thing: dedication.
    The kind of passion required for the level of dedication you need to be competitive tends to lead people to here, where fairness is more important than results. Anyone who's taking any other path to competitive times will likely lose interest and disappear, and I'd bet heavily there isn't a time they can post that someone here can't honestly beat. 8 )

I dislike the concept of CFW as, for many users, it is a tool for piracy. I also dislike the tomfoolery involved with implementing it, and so far have only used official Sony firmware on my PSPs.
    Good reasons to avoid it entirely. I'm pure OFW myself, and I so far prefer the stability/reliability of it over any benefits CFW might possibly give me. I can count on my OFW to do certain things, there's no real guarantee with CFW. OFW FTW! 8 D

But I wonder about the inevitability factor here-- that in the end, in 6 months or a year, to play Wipeout Pulse competitively, if we will be forced to run at 333
    Nah, it's much more likely that in 6 months to a year the online community will consist almost entirely of dedicated pilots, everyone else having moved on to the latest flashy game to hit the scene. So to speak.

Experience tells me that it ain't an issue to worry about. Time will tell, of course, but that's the way I'd place my bet every day of the week.

PSN ID
    Bastou85 - 3.90 M33-2 333mhz

My tests were run in time trial, there is a small difference in fluidity but like I said earlier: up to rapier I didn't find any significant time difference. Haven't tested phantom myself.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

"...CFW. OFW FTW! 8 D" Wow, when you read that without the context, it looks like some really creative swearing.

I think it's been established that smoother framerate is a definite advantage in multiplayer. Which makes it cheating to use 333 online against others who do not know and consent to racing you on 333.

I have to say I'd be a lot happier if it were impossible for others to race me online with their precious CFW. I've enough trouble keeping up without the opposition having lovely smooth gameplay when I can hardly see what the heck is going on. But oh well. I suppose that's what happens when people love their PSPs enough to risk destroying them by playing with the firmware.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Only those who have no idea what they're doing risk bricking their system. It's like updating BIOS, a Router, a DVD-Writer on your PC- same (low) risk.
    I'm pretty sure this can be seen as "discussing CFW", Medusa, so let's stop right here right now.

PSN ID
    Bastou85 - 3.90 M33-2 333mhz

Every psp can be unbricked nowadays, all you're risking is your personal data if you don't save it on a hard drive or something.

Yes. Let's put the CFW discussion in the dustbin

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Last thing maybe Lance before closing that thread if you fancy .
    I'd like to apologize about what i stated previously related to CFW ruining online experience of OFW people.
    I thought previously that they cause the slowdowns while playing against OFW but i was wrong.
    I played yesterday online from 8 to 11 PM we were racing stevie RR and me ( all 3 in OFW) agaisnt Brica & Guillaume ( 2 frenchies with CFW one at 333 and one at default but we didn't knew this fact when we started racing them ) it was running smooth as silk and i said WOW what a pleasure to play against you all with OFW but the 2 frenchies said No we aren't on OFW !
    I asked RR & Stevie and no lag for them so CFW either at 333 or default, not affect the playability of OFW ( or at a non noticeable quantity)
    After those 2 perfect lag free no slowdowns tours we were joined by E-Kami.
    Immediately the tour gets completely crappy due to lag : Stevie RR and me felt the big difference : less noticeable for them said Brica & Guillaume.
    E-Kami even located in France got a shitty internet connexion and it was him who was turning the game so badly. ( no offense mate but true).
    Then came Flashbackjack ( Ekami went away), surprinsingly no big slowdowns , just slightly less 'smooth as silk' it was when we started the evening at 5 but way far better than previous tour with Ekami. Flashback has got certainly a good internet connexion but due to the distance he is from Europe, his ping to the server tends to show his ship not at the exact location on the track it should be ; so when you think, ok he is getting this weapon pad ill get the 2nd which is next to it but wrong he took the one i wanted :O. Same happened when you try to shoot him with rockets , or missile which is unlocking too easily from the target, mines throw but showing up at the last sec in front of yer eyes.

To resume : I prefer at the top playing with pilots from Europe with good connexion and OFW : the fairest condition to play. then playing with Euro guys on CFW default or not ( always with a good connexion) then racing people out of Europe but not too far ( ping issues) like North America.
    I really don't like playing with bad connection guys ( no offense to you it's just so frustrating ) and with people beyond 10000 kms from my house.