Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much better would this game look at 333 cpu?

Default How much better would this game look at 333 cpu?

I believe someone said that they were testing using 333 but scrapped it and stuck with 222 speed because of multiplayer. My question is in what ways would the graphics be improved if full cpu usage were utilized?

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

fluidity

yeah I figured that framerates may be increased, although I think the framerates are good as it is (I haven't noticed a slowdown yet)

I was wondering if with the extra cpu, the developers would've included even more eye candy
    Last edited by Lance; 23rd February 2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Redundant quote removed; please read the guidelines.

Not unless the PSP magically grew a load more memory ...

Internal expansion cards?

hmmm..........

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    Not unless the PSP magically grew a load more memory ...
    well, I think the psp slim has double the memory of the phat psp. but not sure if developers can utilize that, since it may deprive phat owners.

Phat owners must have been on a diet.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

My only personal graphical complaint with Pure/Pulse is with framerate-- I think the games otherwise look fantastic.

And honestly, in time trial and zone modes, the framerate is really good too

PSN ID
    Bastou85 - 3.90 M33-2 333mhz

I'll have to try what it looks like on default cpu speed then, I started playing the game at 333 so I can't really tell you the difference. All I can say is that it's even more fluid than Pure running at 333 cpu which is already a marvelous improvement and for nothing in the world would I play it on default speed ever again.

Sorry for the late reply, I'm new to the forum. I hope it's ok to resurrect 2 weeks old threads.

To give you an idea there is no difference in framerate between zone and regular tracks with contenders at 333.

It's much smoother, but should really not be taken online or records should not be recorded with, since the framerate helps you get better times(tested with nephew). Tracks like outpost is where it is really much smoother in single race hard level(read 10 fps vs probably 30 fps). Recording times on the wipeout site with it on is cheating. And even though I like playing with it against Isaac(my nephew), I do not use it otherwise unless everyone else would be using it(private room or something). I'm just curious as to how many people are using it for wipeout-game.com times?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Probably more than are willing to admit it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Well, I don't think SL is so naive to think that CFW is neglectable, unless they don't take their own site (wipeout-game.com) serious. I'd even assume that of those who use their PSPs regularly, the majority is on CFW. Sure, the casual gamer is not, but he won't ever get near a top time anyways- with or without framerate advantages, we're speaking of about a tenth of a second here.

but should really not be taken online
    The game is locked at 266 online IIRC, because wi-fi apparently needs the rest.

I think, that if the game were in fact behaving much differently, then they would've locked it in the first place (like Burnout for instance). Bottom line: The game in fact plays as it was meant to only at 333, I'm sure about that (see non-working BR due to the sub-par framerate in races, "save ghost" framerate bug, ...). It runs smoothly and controls are harder, yet more precise.

masterbruce:
    and stuck with 222 speed because of multiplayer
    PSPs have been running at 266 since one of the first firmware updates. Your PSP would only run at 222 if you never updated it
    Last edited by phl0w; 6th March 2008 at 04:41 PM.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Wait, hold on a second! 266Mhz? Huh? Since when did PSPs run at 266? I thought the PSP ran at 222Mhz since 1.50 or somthing like that (due to battery life) and the 333Mhz custom firmware thing giving an advantage (although the psp was meant to run at this speed and does on OFW in some cases e.g. newer firmware with new games ) but what the hell's this 266 all about? I feel like a noob again.
    Last edited by omega329; 6th March 2008 at 05:32 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

as far as I know the default is still 222, but games have had the ability for while to call 266 (fw 3.0 iirc), and as of firmware 3.50 they have also had the abilty to call 333MHz

PSN ID

Never ever thought about it as cheating... All I thought about was more mhz=more frames=more eye comfort, not sure it affects times as much as pressing up the whole time of the race for example.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I don't think of it as cheating either. More framerate = more control. Every online PC-gamer profits from processing power and config files (like the mentioned Quake). It's a major and healthy part of gaming to find a setup you're most comfortable and good with. For what it's worth: A neGcon has the same effect, and isn't considered a cheat either

Except that a Negcon is an officially supported peripheral - even so far as having the game manuals advising you on how to set it up. On the other hand, you don`t see much mention of how to overclock your PSP in the Pure or Pulse manuals.

A better analogy than the Negcon one would be plugging a Gameshark into your PS1, and getting a Feisar round Talon`s Reach in 8 seconds and claiming a new world record. If we do that the competition is meaningless. Someone will be first, but who knows how they will have got there? It`s the same with Pure and Pulse, unless we`re all playing the game the same way, the official way, it`s just a battle to get your name on top of the rankings, not a meaningful competition that`s just about racing. In the same way the Olympic 100 metres would be meaningless if drugs and steroids were legalised and it became just a battle to find the best doctors and potions. Maybe it is already, but if you admit it you might as well fold up the Olympic flag and go home.

The majority of the serious Pulse players actually do compete with official firmware, there is an understanding, a (pretentious words coming up) "code of honour" or "gentlemen`s agreement" amongst Wipeoutzone players that we should compete on a level playing field. If someone wants to play the game with us here on this site, and takes an advantage knowingly, then it is a kind of cheating. In my opinion that`s how it works. Al knows he could get an advantage, but he doesn`t take it, because I think he understands this.

This "gentleman`s agreement" might not be meaningful for wipeout-game.com, where the big wide world is involved, but I`d still prefer to be playing the game the same way and on the level with Asa, Mad-Ice, Stin and many others, where I know at least with these great players the competition is equal and it means something.

PSN ID

I'll probably never be in the top 20 players anyway, so I'll take a little higher framerate for now.

Although I still fail to see why Pulse wasn't made to force 333 now that better batteries are available... beats me.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

clap: Stephen & Al

Nothing more to add and to prevent a new 'war of the FW' ( wotfw ) i am gonna close this thread , if people wants to read the previous closed topic dealing with this subject , please use the search function.

When a game reaches the end of development it goes through a QA cycle, as part of the QA cycle the game has to adhere to certain standards and regulations.

One of Sonys current regulations is if a game allows 333 it has to be tested at 333 and at the standard cpu speed - currently it cant be locked only to 333 if it supports multiplayer as sony does not allow the developers to activate the 333 with the wifi enabled and active - are there unofficial hacks that circumnavigate this.... we all know the answer, however no psp developer is allowed to use hacked firmware in game development you use the firmware supplied by sony and the current sony firmware does not allow 333 with wifi on and active.

So, the game has to run at standard speed for multiplayer, and as such must run at standard speed in single player. The option is there to allow 333 for single player as well, but not instead - the issue with had with Pulse was we had the 333mhz almost ready to go into the game, indeed for a short time in development it was active BUT we did not have long enough to test the game at this cpu speed as well as the standard (a test cycle can be months). For the 333mhz to be active in the main game, the game would have been delayed further, this was not an option.

Basically, we were not allowed 333 for multiplayer (its still not supported development wise sonys official firmware disables 333 when the wifi is active) we were allowed it for single player as an option - but it was too late into development to allow full testing and as such could not be included.

Could the game have been put back further to compensate... well it had already been put back to implement the psn sign in, rather than a bespoke one, and delaying costs, and ultimately you have to draw a line in the sand and hit a date, or projects would go on indefinitely. The 333 option is relatively new as a whole.
    The mandate was release in europe pre-xmas, and that could not shift.