Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulse really doesn't feel like wipeout to me.....

Default Pulse really doesn't feel like wipeout to me.....

I love this game don't get me wrong but for some reason it feels awkward to me. Like its to dark or a something? I guess I go to use to wipeout 2097 & wipeout 3 .So I need some convincing into liking this game more.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

yeah, for me Pulse feels way different. Pure just seemed so streamlined, simple, and perfect. Pulse just doesn't have that feel...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Pulse is floatier than pure and a way faster, you got infrastructure online mode, pitching nose is also more important than it was for pure.
    You must give it a chance

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    Skilov97

Personally, I haven't been this addicted to a Wipeout game since 2097/XL; I feel like I'm back in the good ol' days of AG racing in 2097 in a way and that's great. A console game hasn't been able to keep my attention like this and it's enough to even have me missing out on adventuring in Azeroth (World of Warcraft) and Middle-Earth (Lord of the Rings Online) which is really really odd for me as I'm always playing an MMORPG. (Haven't logged on either at all since I purchased Pulse)

My hands go numb sometimes during my racing sessions indicating a sign of addiction which is fantastic for me.

PSN ID
    Collymilad

I think it feels just like Wipeout, but it is different.

However I think it's the best one since 2097. I have to agree with S'Kilov and say that it does make me feel like 2097 did. I'm not saying it FEELS like 2097, but it definitely has the same effect on me.

OMG,"Pulse really doesn't feel like wipeout for you"?Yes i believe that the older wipeout games had their grace and also the fact that the new isnt always the best,but thing about it:very good graphics,new ship designs etc,and the most important thing PURE ADRENALINE.I think you should take a look at "10 thinks i love about pulse" thread for insparation.You must give wipeout pulse a second chance

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I agree with you somewhat, that Pulse doesn't really feel like wipeout - to me it doesn't feel like wipeout until rapier/phantom because that's when the ships start to feel a bit floaty. And listen to Asa, the infrastucture mode breathes serious Wipeout vibe into this game. It feels like wipeout in the end, it just felt to me like it took its time to get there.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

well i'll try to input what i can here, since i took quite a long break from wipeout over the years. I love this game, as others said, i too am addicted, neither me or my friends have put it down since purchase, im not playing any thing else, and have been inspired to sell my wii for a ps3, just for the upcoming wipeout.

its just a well put together great game just like MOST of the past games, and i get pumped on the way home from work to sit down and get a tourney goin with friends ( if the GF isnt around )

id say think of it as a whole game in itself rather than the comparison of past WO

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    VagabondArts

I don't really get this whole "no wipeout is as good as 2097" thing.
    It was a good game, yes. But the things that are being done now in the wipeout franchise I think are much greater.

but hey, if you don't like Pulse thats cool. I think it's phenomenal.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

After a few months of play I can safely say its making me play Wipeout less. For me Pure got most of it right and I don't like the direction Pulse went in. Pure feels like fun Pulse feels frustrating.

The first post might mean this in a different sense but I think a lot of tracks are in fact too dark, this is a PSP game and you can't possibly expect me to have access to a dark room at all times when I want to play it. Some tracks are so hard to make out when your on the go, can't help it, I feel they have been implemented poorly in this regard.

Infrastructure? Yeah cool I love it when my PSP shows the opponent ship as being right in front of of me and so I fire some rockets, which then proceed to go right through the enemy ship and drift off harmlessly down the track, talk about enjoyment! Game has too many bugs.

Track walls are too low and random re spawns too numerous, anyhoo thats enough ranting about this I'm off to play Fatal Inertia

wow I just got done playing pulses online and I must say it is much more enjoyable than pures kai. so I might be more addicted to this one than I thought. And RR I do agree that the tracks are really dark and I had to put my brightness up all the way just to see it better.

Also the reason why I compare everything to 2097 and 3 SE is because when you play them and master them it just a truly amazing game!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    VagabondArts

I am guilty of comparing them as well, Dav.
    A lot of us are, I think.
    Hopefully we can find a balance between enjoying the future growth and expansion of the
    wipeout series without forgetting the foundations from the good old days, and leveraging past
    experiences to blind us from enjoying the series progress.

It's kind of like as much as I like Super Mario Galaxy or Sunshine, nothing will give me the
    feeling I got when I first played Super Mario Bros. 3 and mastered it. But I don't want to be
    turned off from the newer mario games because they aren't the same...

Am I the only one that feels this way at WipeoutZone?

Timezone
    GMT -6

I think Pulse (which I finally got ) is a little more complicated than Pure, if anything. That's all.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Quote Originally Posted by Animagic View Post
    Hopefully we can find a balance between enjoying the future growth and expansion of the wipeout series without forgetting the foundations from the good old days, and leveraging past experiences to blind us from enjoying the series progress...Am I the only one that feels this way at WipeoutZone?
    No, you aren't.

Personally, the PSP installments are doing a mighty fine job of preserving the tradition of the series. But, then again, I want to race online, and not buy another console and another game disc to play with a friend. I don't want to fly through pitlanes to recharge my shields. I like the Race Campaign. I don't mind The Designers Republic are off doing other things. I'm starting to get used to Qirex as an "all-rounder".

I already own my own copy of Wipeout XL, so I don't need another. What I need is a new challenge - even if all it comes down to is tweaking the game play just like Pulse did for Pure and XL did for the original - with each new game.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    VagabondArts

well said.

it's good to know I'm not the only one that feels that way.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

pure was more a "piece of art" than a game. pulse could be less fascinating (the menu design isn't that inspired) but is "complete", bigger, better and faster. there are many more things to do and to unlock and is really customizable, thing that i really like.
    the only thing i miss from the previous game is the "freeride" mode...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

Yeah, it does feel different but the experience is absolutely wipeout for me.
    (specially when I managed to play Phantom properly, not the "pin-ball like gameplay" from a couple of months ).
    I think Wipeout is evolving the right way, differences from Pure and the classics just make it more interesting (you always can go back and replay them at any time ).
    There will be always things you miss and things you welcome.
    To be honest, Fusion is the only title that doesn't feel totally wipeout for me, but it has its charm.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I think it feels like WipEout... it's just that WipEout is now so far removed from what it was that got me hooked in the first place that I cant seem to conjure up any passion for playing Pulse.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kanar

Hi,

Never loved/(can't stop playing a game) a WO like that, due to online play. The possibility to challenge the best, instead of just seeing them trough a ranking table is really emulating. I loved WO from the beginning (10 years!), but first time I try to master phantom class. For what? just to see a little more my heroes!
    BUT psp is psp, control is AWFULL, due to the pad (my feeling ok, but lowering the nose in phantom is horrible with THAT pad). Can't wait for the ps3 release, I need hands surgery right now.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I've softened up to Pulse a little more since my initial dislike of the game but I can't find the same love for it that I did with Pure.

I can't imagine what it feels like for people like you Rob who have missed what you consider to be a real Wipeout feel since WO 3? I mean I miss the look and feel of Pure so much and it's only one game back.