Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The crashing is driving me nuts

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by bloseth View Post
    Lately I've tried to refrain from using the sleep mode while playing Pulse (booting the game doesn't take that long time), and have had _no crashes_ since then! I think the sleep mode has some sort of influence on the crashing.
    It's definitely true-- but my experience is that if you shut down the music in Pure, and now in Pulse, you can use sleep mode with zero problems

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

I actually managed to provoce a crash yesterday even though I had started with a 'fresh' boot. Going to the statistics and flipping _quickly_ through the screens seems to do the trick.

Yeah, I've tried a few things so far. At the mention of a 4GB card (which I was using), I transferred everything to a 1GB card. So far, no noticable difference. I've had a few crashes with it already.

I also turned off all the music. Now this may have made a difference. I'm still getting crashes but I don't think as many. It's hard to tell exactly how much difference it's making and could be just random chance but I think I noticed an improvement.

Going in and out of sleep mode definitely seems to dramatically increase the chances of a crash but, like Bloseth, I've had them with a fresh boot too. One, I didn't even get to the game menu itself - it added a new loading screen (as it seems to be doing), that stopped for a while and then it switched off.

But, you know, thing is I don't want to do all this.

The game should not crash, plain and simple.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    The game should not crash, plain and simple.
    That, i second. One of the things that made me migrate from playing the PC to consoles, was the feeling that things were more complete and working on consoles. Being able to patch releases is becoming a pillow for developers, and I don't like that. DLC is ok, but patching is not. When developers even got _one_ platform to develop for (not the myriad of possible hardware configurations on PCs) it is _intolerable_ that serious bugs gets through the screening.

But... I can't stop playing Pulse. I love it.

PSN ID
    backroom

Exclamation

I got so fed up with the crashing I turned "UMD Auto-start" back to "on". I turned it off as soon as I was originally able to because I didn't like it, that's how desperate I am!

btw: 3.90, 1GB stick, >750 pics, too many crashes!!!!!
    Last edited by P52Smith; 20th February 2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add "btw"

Well, a week after posting this thread, I've hit a point where I've had enough. Goodbye Pulse. May your quality control army develop itchy crotches and bad breath.

At least Apollo Justice will arrive for me on Monday. Until then, well, it's a sad day when I'll play Mario and Sonic at the Olympics over a WO game but that's what I'm doing. I won't be investing in WO HD anyway as I imagine it will likely be an experiment in microtransactions but I couldn't put myself through the frustration anyway. Hopefully somewhere down the line, quality control in SL will get the attention it deserves.

Until then, it's back to the long jump.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Sorry to hear that, Dogg

Is there any chance that the problem you have been having are caused (or augmented) by the memory stick(s) that you are using?

I gather that there have been quite a few problems with current and recent Sony PSP firmwares when matched with particular memory sticks, especially large (>1 gig) memory sticks.

Since the problems you are having (game save corruption, DLC implementation) heavily involve the memory stick, I just wonder if that is part of the problem...

It's certainly possible. I've tried 2 stick, one at 4g and the other is 1g. Both crashed. I've tried loads of things including going back to my old fat PSP and it's hard to say what contributes and what doesn't but at this point all I know for sure is that it crashes and I'm done.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I still get alot of crashes, but, it`s more than normal crashes since I dowloaded the packs.

The point is, I`m still playing Pulse more than ever!!.

stevie

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    Since the problems you are having (game save corruption, DLC implementation) heavily involve the memory stick, I just wonder if that is part of the problem...
    Doubt it Pure did the some of the same, and I had 3 different memory sticks to play it with a Sony and 2 Sandisks its crashing was less than Pulse though.

Maybe its the system software, with the exception of one strange dark period I found that Pure got more stable with time, its not crashed on me for an utter age now.

As for Pulse I don't have all the download packs, crashing isn't too frequent just the stats page one thats been pointed out and it also loves to crash after I take a photo, don't play it much online anymore though so that eliminated a load of potential bug frustration right there. Pure will keep me going till HD arrives.

Speaking of which any bugs that might appear in that game won't be a problem right! Cos plenty other devs patch their PS3 games so theres no reason SL couldn't.

(I'm guessing there are technicalities which prevent PSP games being patched?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Yeah, I've tried a few things so far. At the mention of a 4GB card (which I was using), I transferred everything to a 1GB card. So far, no noticable difference.
    I may be clutching at straws, but I followed the same path to try and fix my Pulse issues, which admittedly were not as bad as yours. I tried every possible fix with 4gb and 1gb Sandisk "gaming" cards.

Finally I got my 2gb "Sony" high speed out of the digital camera (it`s cheap ebay so possibly a fake), formatted it with the PC in FAT, instead of using PSP format, and gave that a go. At first I had similar problems, but now a lot of it has cleared up, I can use custom skins without problems, and I have absolutely no issues saving ghosts. There are still some familiar crashes, but a lot of things have improved and it may well be the the card giving the improvement, assuming it`s not some random temporary "improvement", that is. But it has been better for a while now. So it could be worth a go if you can beg borrow or steal a "Sony" card, unless that`s what you already have of course. I hate to see a Wipeout fan having to give up, and wouldn`t deny what you say that, memory sticks apart, there are some major QA issues with Pulse.

Maybe it's the FAT filesystem that made the improvement instead of the card?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

I don't know, I've never reformatted my Sony 4 GB stick using the PC and it is apparently already formatted as FAT32. At least that's what XP tells me.

PSN ID
    backroom

I hate to say this but I've changed from WipEout Pulse to Patapon, I'm that desparate, I will change back if I get challenged but otherwise, patapatapatapon all the way to Earthend

Due to the crashing?

I never went back to Pulse. I can't think it's likely I will. I'm tempted to pop the UMD into an envelope and send it to the SL quality assurance team in case it helps them figure out what's wrong with it. I did write a snotty mail to Sony customer services but haven't heard back.

}grin{ Yep, snotty messages to customer service are well-known for eliciting quick and helpful responses.

I don't think there is such thing as a 'helpful' response in this instance, Lance. Unless that response involves them doing a recall and actually taking the time to fix bugs before sending it out to the public, something I imagine would be a little unlikely.

Unhappy customers are not good customers and I would have thought writing diffusing responses would have been the job of a customer service department.

But then I thought getting a product out that wasn't riddled with bugs would have been the job of a quality assurance department so what do I know.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by P52Smith View Post
    ...I've changed from WipEout Pulse to Patapon...
    I've done the same. If I've time to play at all, then it's Patapon right now. I didn't experience that many crashes with my WipEout Pulse, so I can't say I've switched games because of crashing. Patapon just feels way more fun to me. Once I've finished this game, I'll see if I'll pick up Pulse again or not...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Yep, I have switched to Patapon as well. I have not had much problems with crashes in Pulse, but it is not entertaining enough... Except for multiplayer, I do not see many reasons to play Pulse instead of Pure.

The crashes I get most often in Pulse is if I press x early on during the presentation of a track.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Code:
     The crashes I get most often in Pulse is if I press x early on during the presentation of a track.
    Exactly!, that is what I have done and now, I hardly any crashing for a while now.

Now I`m still having problems of Wipeout.com. I successfully logged in, press upload profiles then upload profile and went frozed! Other that, everything is fine apart from upload profile.

stevie