View Poll Results: Should Barrel Rolls be included in WipEout HD?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

112 57.14%
  • No

84 42.86%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel Rolls in HD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Yeah, as if bombs and mines didn't give enough of an advantage to the leader.

I'm surprised they have so much energy available for barrel rolls in TT/Speed Lap - did no one pay any attention to the ridiculous amounts of possible BRs in Pulse? And now you get energy replenished more easily?
    What garbage.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

As a compulsive barrel roller, I didn't think they needed to nerf 'em to begin with, but if the amount of energy replenished per weapon absorbed offsets the nerfage, glee once more!

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 18th September 2008 at 09:22 PM.

PSN ID
    Judus

I'd prefer both BR and Turbo to be axed and replaced with a semi-hyperthrust. So you pick this up just like any other weapon, but unlike a turbo, you hold fire to use it at your will (WO3 style). They could fix a usage restriction either by time (like auto pilot) or by some other unit of quantity (like canon).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Honestly? I was worried about BRs in HD also, but somehow it feels they are a lot less present in HD. Maybe because HD is mostly Pure tracks, and they don't lend themselves to BRs that much. Maybe they've also made the animation longer. I don't know what it is, but I can't think of a track that allows for more than 3 BRs in HD (and that's Chenghou, which happens to have 3 actual jumps, so BRs are justified, maybe Vineta if you're really quick), most tracks only allow for 1 or 2. I'm not exactly the master of BRs, though

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Amon69it

Quote Originally Posted by leungbok View Post
    There's a huge park of car simulation games on every consol with very realistic features.
    Well if that's the case there are much more arcade racers than simulations ....

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Even in Pure we had to think about where to BR or not to get the fastest time and it was really exciting to do that last BR with your last energy trying to get to the end of your fastest TT without exploding in the last corner.
    Agree with every word of this post, but I think eL also makes a very good point that the tracks selected for HD don`t may not necessarily lend themselves to making it a stunt game like Pulse is.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Like Frances, i'm one of the fewer here that also thinks BR's are OK, enjoyable in fact, and most certainly help me to achieve some of the TT's etc with a reasonable time.

But maybe it's because i only arrived at the doors of the Wipeout Universe a little over a year ago, when i discovered Pure. I never played ANY of the older Wipeouts, and have since tried a few (2097, Wip3out etc). I didn't really like any of them and given the choice i would always play either Pure or Pulse (Or HD when it's released).

Maybe, in 5-10 years time, when a Mega Modern version is released, with all the bells & whistles that future Tech will bring, i'll be harking back to the Halcyon days of Pure, Pulse & HD? It'll be my "Golden Era" of Wipeout, because that's when i was initiated into AG racing.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Thats fairplay ZenDjinn. Can't really argue with you there. I still think WO64 and WO3SE is the golden area of Wipeout for me .

I find the problem with BR's in TT is that your not always looking for that perfect racing line anymore. I mean you have more to do, but it reminds me of the whole snaking thing in F-zero GX which killed the TT for me in that game.

I hope that BR's wont be used more than twice in a lap because they ain't that fun. but they will help me kill a few racers in online as they go BR'ing happy

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    I hope that BR's wont be used more than twice in a lap..
    If there's any consistency to the track layout over Pulse, count on seeing three in Metropia White.

EDIT: Update. I just saw a video of Metropia White in action -- it's almost unrecognizable from its Pulse counterpart. It appears all the minor barrel roll friendly dropoffs have been eliminated. In fact, the track seems to have underwent several very major adjustments in its curves. The same goes for Metropia Black.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 19th September 2008 at 01:29 PM.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Thats brilliant then. But with the increase floatiness and the higher speed classes, im sure more BR points will be found.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

For you and everyone else, search out guycocker's videos on Youtube for a few very new videos of multiplayer in action.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Yes, what the hell else am I going to do when the ship goes off a jump? It would feel empty without them. I also believe it takes a degree of skill to pull off a BR and you get the little boost for your efforts. Simply pressing a button and getting instant boost is cheap.
    I voted yes for the same reasons, and i hope the side overrun (pressing left or right twice) will be there too. New techniques allows new racing's strategies !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

What's side overrun?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

He meant side shift.

- F

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I second that question, please explain side overrun to the class

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Thank's Flash
    The side shift helps you to pass an opponent just before your ship, and it can help you passing some difficult turns (v-turn on outpost is an example). You can also use it to go back quickly in the middle of a track when you hit the walls. And you may invent another utility

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

The side shift is still in the game, according to one of the loading menus I'm seeing on a Youtube vid, Leungbok.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Cool news, Flash

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Oh sideshift, I see. Yes, of course, that's still there.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Yeah, I tend to rather overreact to any tiny intimations that there's any sort of possible chance that the number of barrel rolls may be increased... Sorry about that.

Regarding there being nothing to do while mid-air, that was the beauty of the older, barrel-roll-less games. It was a sudden break from the track madness, and it challenged you to maintain your focus on the controls as you floated along, gazing down at the track and scenery.

Anyway, hopefully the fact that barrel rolls now cost more energy will solve a lot of the barrel roll problems at least in race modes.

Personally I get the feeling that we will never, ever have anything like the classic physics again while barrel rolls remain in the game, since there'd be way to much rollie-pollie-ollie going on.