View Poll Results: Should Barrel Rolls be included in WipEout HD?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

112 57.14%
  • No

84 42.86%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel Rolls in HD

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

But I already own Wipeout XL.

Anyway, back on topic...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ColdRemS

Hi all!

As all of you, I'm a big WipEout fan, I 've played all the wipe games (except Wipe64) and you may even see me on the wipeout-game.com boards.
    I come every day to read your thoughts and expectations about the future WipEout HD (hs: give us a release date!!!).
    I'm so surprised about your reaction Infoxicated!I mean, I understand your point of view about the (sometimes abusive) use of weapons, but not about the BRs. As a true pilot , I play with the inside view and I enjoy each BR I make (well... when it works!) This is what I call an adrenalin rush!
    When I play WipEout Pulse, I still recognize the game I've been playing for hours!
    That's why I can't wait to see WipEout HD and, even more, the future WipEout PS3.
    Don't get me wrong Infoxicated, I respect your point of view, it's just that I don't understand.

(ps:excuse my english, it's not my mothertongue!)

A lot of people feel that this game just feels nothing like the older versions. I'm one of them. I do like this game, but it is not floaty at all like the old ones, like what was said 8 years ago. Newbies would not even notice this difference, so I just don't understand why the physics cannot be like the older games, which are much more advanced, and difficult to master. Hopefully the ps3 wipeout 3 will be like the old ones, but I'm not holding my breath. I am a little torn on the barrel roll thing. If the game was floaty like the old games, I wouldn't even want it at all, but with pure and pulse, it does speed the game up, although that could be rectified with a speed increase. It is kinda stupid to have to get that barrel roll in to get the best times(I have to get on the edge of the track to get high enough for the roll kinda thing), instead of a good racing line. That being said though, I hate sideshift the most by far, this feels exactly like fzero turning and wrecks the physics of using the brakes correctly. I like pulse alot more than pure though, because of the faster acceleration after weapon hits.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    so I just don't understand why the physics cannot be like the older games, which are much more advanced, and difficult to master.
    I think you answered your own question there.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Wipeout isn't a game to be side-thought... Wipeout is the game of my life. I have no other memories with any other series as much as Wipeout, because it drew me into the series unlike any other series... so I can't just say I would just go to the next game on the shelf!! That would mean a lot more to me than just another game... Wipeout my-as-well be a religion for me...

BRs are unrealistic, sideshift is unrealistic, and without the bounce, it no longer feels as free and fun as the past PS1 Wipeouts (my definition of the series so far)... You could bounce so much higher, mabye that's why the toned it down, because the BR would've been used so much when bouncing... but like I said, BRs would never work, and I feel that the float is worth more than the BR, by far... I'd rather have the Wipeout 3 Speed-tactics than BRs, honestly... but I can't lose Wipeout, it's too badass to go away.

Remember, the reason Wipeout still exists today are because of the original versions, which are great.

EDIT: Part of the Negcon topic coulda gone with this...
    Last edited by Chill; 27th February 2008 at 04:03 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oh boy, the meer suggestion you hint at! That floatyness has been compromised for the sake of Barrel rolls If the were actually the case...

Oh yeah look at that 2000th post and what not cake please.

Congrats on the 2k. Let's hope the candle on the cake doesn't heat up the discussion tOO much.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    ...Let's hope the candle...
    [insider]
    candle! CANDLE! 2000 CANDLES for you RR!!
    [/insider]

I think you answered your own question there.

"Master" being the key word. It is no more difficult to play with those physics, just more difficult to get really good times(master)

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I'll argue that it's also about preference as well.

WO1 is one of my stronger games. For awhile I thought lunar, Medusa, and Asayyeah weren't going to touch some of my times (and I was wrong! XD) yet I am getting KILLED in the Pulse TT challenges.

Sideshifts can help you get around tight hairpins if you've run out of room, but I speak for everyone who has raced Outpost 7 that just one or two double taps won't get you around a hairpin without planting your nose into the barrier. Especially at Phantom speed. I think the effect of sideshifts with regards to handling is being slightly exaggerated.

And I think we're diverting from the topic of BRs just a bit...

PSN ID

Yeah, but I have just one thing about the whole sideshift thing, sorry... but doesn't anyone realize that the sideshift has always been possible throughout the PS1 series? It has, you just make a very quick transition from your main air-brake to the other one, then back again, turning with them... only it makes more sense because the craft catches a quick gust of wind during this period which in turn forces it to the side... and unlike the delayed unkown reaction time in Pure and Pulse on Phantom, it actually helps a lot if mastered right... so the newer releases seem to have less thought behind what could really happen then the previous in the series, which matters quite a bit to me... especially seeing a BR, I just don't understand how that would work... I have to see truth in something before I can think it looks cool, getting the turbo boost afterwords definately doesn't make any sense either...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

You want some truth with your BR? Some scientific reasoning behind why doing a cartwheel could make you go faster? No problem Chill, I'll just pull out my copy of the FX300 league manual...
    Quote Originally Posted by FX300 League Rules and Regulations
    Section 12.1 - "Flair" rewards
    As per the decision of the FX300 proposal meeting #12783 (Discussions on raising attendance #57 - Possible methods of rewarding pilots for crowd-pleasing actions) any pilot successfully executing arial acrobatics while being the only craft in a 255m stretch of track (with at least 85m clear in either direction) will be rewarded by the onboard weapon system with a standard "turbo" upon succesfully landing said stunt.
    Addendum A: Due to this benefit not being powered by the standard weapon activation system (which is seperate from the flair reward monitoring system)a seperate power source was required and the shield energy system was used.
    Do you like BR now?

I still think it kind of bites. 8 )

Sounds a bit too much like those stupid ''kudos points'' for cornering style in Project Gotham Street Racing on the Xbox. Ruined what would otherwise have been a pretty good game.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Hold on.

Nobody told me the FX300 Rulebook was on sale! [/offtopic]

I think that's the closest thing we'll come to a definite reason why BRs = Turbo.

PSN ID

Wait... how can their be a rule book for something set in the future?? I think some people get ahead of themselves a bit just to cover their own ass, lol...

except it's not faster to make turns, and does not work anywhere near the same wierd way as the sideshift of pure and pulse.

PSN ID

But slowing down is the nature of catching that gust of wind and moving yourself to the side, because your entire craft acts like one big wing for a moment... so slowing down naturally would happen.

Now, if someone could explain the physics of pure and pulses sideshifts, that would be nice... otherwise, making something up that couldn't work is not for me... and please don't let any physics get all outlandish or anything... like a jet pushed from the side. Their couldn't be jets on the side... that would be too much side-weight to be easily damaged... as well as the flap flies you away from that side within the quick two flap movement, cause their's no way that little airbrake flap could create a movement as great as that...

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

thrust vectoring?
    gravity field manipulation? (ie: momentary rotation so the gravity field pulls the ship to one side)

PSN ID

Anyway... I'll have to look into those Lion...

But one more thing about BRs... why were they included in Zone mode?? I honestly can't stand it when I accidtently do a BR in zone mode and their goes a whole load of energy that could have got me that much further... as well as thrusting me into a wall...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by Task View Post
    ..any pilot successfully executing arial acrobatics while being the only craft in a 255m stretch of track (with at least 85m clear in either direction) will be rewarded ..
    hmm! a 'perfect' excuse for the BR bug in single player ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill View Post
    .. but doesn't anyone realize that the sideshift has always been possible throughout the PS1 series? It has, you just make a very quick transition from your main air-brake to the other one, then back again, turning with them... only it makes more sense ..
    yes, a lot more sence. we used to call it counter-breaking back in the days and I used it a Lot even in 2097 and wo3.