View Poll Results: Should Barrel Rolls be included in WipEout HD?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

112 57.14%
  • No

84 42.86%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Barrel Rolls in HD

howabout a compromise..for BR's lovers and BR's haters

3 barrelrolls allowed per race.

That could be ok, but I think 3 per race would be too few though, if you`re going to have them. 2 per lap would be more like it maybe, and there would be some tactics working out which were the best, but I do remember saying some similiar idea once and someone saying that such ideas are like a doctor prescribing you prescribing you piss-stained trousers as a cure for incontinence. Not sure I agree, but it`s a striking image that has stayed with me over the years.

yes thats fine the key is a set number of BR's are permitted so everyone knows where they stand..kinda middle ground for both lovers/haters of BR's

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    SaturnReturn

It would take a lot of fun and longevity out of the game though. People would learn them very quickly and then that would be that. As it stands, people were still investigating barrel roll tactics and discovering new things a long way after the game was released, and possibly still are. I think that's great. So I would rather see two tables. You could restrict them for online races only, but that would, again take an element of strategy out of it. I'm starting to think it's more all or nothing.

yes i totaly agree. but my idea was a middle ground for both lovers/haters of BR's

i love the game as it is cos i may find the next secret location.who knows....

I see your point about limiting BRs taking away longevity, but it wouldn`t necessarily be so if you analyze what would happen. In many cases it could add to longevity to limit the BRs per lap or race. New BRs would still be discovered and then, rather than just adding to the total BRs in the race and getting to crazy (some would say ridiculous) numbers in a full TT, you would have to study which two BRs (for example) were the fastest to take advantage of on each lap. You would discover the new BR and then have to rethink your race strategy and test it. This is how Pure worked - you had 13 BRs (I think, it was a while ago) in a Goteki TT and for a Phantom race on many tracks you could spend happy hours working out which ones were the fastest to use and when, rather than just adding to the total BRs by doing them all. Accurate flying was rewarded with more shield, more BRs, and Perfect Laps mattered in that game unlike in HD to some extent. Take this example of if you were limited to 2 BRs per lap in HD:

Sol2 reverse would have the two obvious BRs on the uphill left hander and the open section, to begin with. Then Pirhapac (for I think it was he) discovers the turbo BR or just BR outside the track after the first bends - now we have to spend time not only practising the new BR but also working out if it is profitable to ditch one of the older ones in favour of it. It adds to the game to limit them, I think With limited BRs the motivation to find new ones does not go away. This is because the new ones could be faster, but it becomes more interesting once they are found, I think. This way those who love to discover new BRs are satisfied too.

PSN ID
    YouAreFubar

Default Ive voted yes

Im liking Frances suggestion of splitting into 2 tables, then you can appease both lovers and haters of the BR. I dont think you can compromise enough to keep everyone happy on this subject to be honest.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I would say no to future games as I don't think they add much but technical oddities to the game where people who have mastered it have an advantage over those that don't even tho they may not be as well rounded a racer. I have heard they tightened the controls so I guess it would be more favorable to me but I really was put off at how I could not get the barrel roll down on the old patches. I went from top 100 times a long time ago to not even caring as I was not going to invest a lot of time in the mechanic itself as I see racing as racing. I don't like shortcuts I and would rather they just not be in the game. My opinion.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    robanddee

I say yes to BRs, & I like them just the way they are! IMO any half decent pilot should have no difficulty pulling them off, and there's a trade off in any race, as you lose ship energy each time you perform a BR leaving you more vunerable to weapons from other racers, or even crashes into track sides. The more BRs you use - the less weapons you can use, as you have to absorb to replace lost ship energy...or run the risk of being blown to bits!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    jan709

I think barrelrolls should stay. To me they are an essential part of hd, it would just feel empty without them.

I would also miss the feeling you get when you manage to pull of your first barrelroll on a "not obvious jump" or everytime you discover a new place to do one.