View Poll Results: Should Barrel Rolls be included in WipEout HD?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

112 57.14%
  • No

84 42.86%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel Rolls in HD

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Just pull 'em.

Leave the pick-up boost and leave it at that, I say.
    couldn't have said it better myself.

BRs totally ruined wipEout for me ..
    I'm actually happy I spent 2 years in sunny Thailand and 'missed' all the 'thing' that pure was.
    chances are I won't be buying woHD nore a ps3
    w'o" being the reason I bought psx and fusion the reason I didn't buy ps2 ..

at least that's my feeling atm ..

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I would really doubt the PS3 doesn't have the resources to ensure it works at all times. What I think is this is the first ever Wipeout on a new console thats apparently not so easy to develop for so with that in mind there won't be any major criticism from me if HD has some hiccups.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

I voted "No" because i'm sick and tired of the cheap boost/roll combo thingy thingzor. I hate the whole idea, not to mention half the time my ship wont even do a roll when i tell it to.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I voted no (duh)... anyway, it might have been better if you got a speed boost when landing just right or something, but a barrel roll in a A-G Racing Craft?? They're not planes you know... c'mon, besides, it's so artificial it's rediculous. LRL and their goes your automatic barrel roll... screw that, it's not even controlled and done by you, it's automatic!!!

The idea of actually reacting to things when in mid-air is cool though... like if getting hit by a missile, and actually starting to flip one way, or something or other, that should be before a barrell roll is even brought up, it sounds pre-school... seriously, I'm sorry for the strong words, but it's the truth, did a 5-year-old think it up???

But I just deal with it, cause I love everything else about wipeout too much to really deal with it... so I'm still getting Pulse and HD...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

As much as I don't like barrel rolls that much, they've pretty much been stitched into the fabric of this generation of Wipeout games (Pure, HD, Pulse) so the only realistic chance we'll see barrel rolls done away with would be in the first "full" WO game for PS3.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Talking

I voted no to BR's in HD, but now I've thought about it more, I agree with O'Connell, they've got to stay. and we are going to have to wait another year or two for a new WipEout league to begin, new Ships, new tracks and a new idea to come along, I didn't much like the boost system in wip3out but I'd rather that than this rolling that reminds a bit to much of the F-Zero spin Attack(which would cool for a cheat code)

zer0shen 0ut

PSN ID

Quote Originally Posted by RJ O'Connell View Post
    so the only realistic chance we'll see barrel rolls done away with would be in the first "full" WO game for PS3.
    I understand that you already have the BR in HD ready to go, but as for me, I'd rather like to see it gone after that. I never really believed it was going to be able to be taken out of HD, but the main reason for my vote was that I hoped for a change in this later on in the series after HD... I see where your coming from that the game already goes well with BRs with it's sense of style, but to be brutally honest, I really don't like the style Wipeout has headed after WO3 as much... I do like it (mabye I should wait for my Pulse to arrive before I say all this), but it's gone away with some wonderful aspects of art... Now it's hardcore and adrenalin amplified, and their's nothing wrong with that... but their still was a sense of feeling the tracks elements (like rain and sun), "blended" not "pumped" with it's music somewhat, and it blended well without BRs...

But I can understand that the rating might not be as good as raters say... "it's just the same old wipeout with different tracks and crafts and better graphics, it's not good enough." But, I guess I'm just one of those hardcore fans that likes keeping it's originality over what the raters think...

EDIT: Alright, mabye I take back what I said about all the elements not being in the newer games, lol... they actually kick a lot of ass, but the BR... still not doin' it for me... other than that though, these games are not far from Wipeout perfection... I should just wait tell I have Pulse in my hand before I judge...
    Last edited by Chill; 10th February 2008 at 11:51 PM.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Barrel rolls are just stretching things too far. I mean come on Studio Liverpool, lets just stick with the racing please!!!! Oh and bring back the floatiness a lot more please. If I wanted F-zero, I would have purchased it

edit: How about a option to turn off BR? This would be a godly feature no?

PSN ID

Axel... You are my friend...

PSN ID
    Axellink

Thumbs down

LOL I know where you are coming from Chill and I also feel BR is just not Wipeout for me. Call me old fashion but when I'm still playing the old games and getting the same satisfaction, then boy did they do something very right. I actually like this HD version a lot that I will be getting a PS3 for it. But BR? I see it now, multiplayer fun with BR all over the place

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Don't worry: most people in multiplayer do not use BRs because they do not risk to take a look in the manual

PSN ID
    Axellink

LOL I hope this is true mate, I really do
    Last edited by infoxicated; 23rd February 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: quote removed

PSN ID

Uummm... I'm still using the BR, not because it's awesome or anything, but to improve my times and show a true standing of where I'm at with the rest of the world when it comes to skill to Wipeout...

Mabye if something else was thought up to take place of the BR and still offer a turbo boost after a jump?? But I don't even care for the turbo boost all together, I liked the short jumps from Wipeout XL and 3... it's still did beautifully without BRs...

PSN ID
    narren

I've gotta be honest; I love barrel rolls. It adds a welcome extra layer to the racing for me.

*sends out Zargz and Medusa armed with pitchforks and flaming torches*

joking, I see where you`re coming from, there is an argument to say that they can be enjoyable and strategic. I`d suggest, as part of the "if we have to have them let`s change how they work" way of arguing, that if we have to have them in HD they should take a LOT more shield energy away, to make you really think about whether your BR is providing a benefit in the overall race strategy. You had to think like this a lot more in Pure than Pulse. Also, in Pure, the fact that you could kill yourself with BRs in Time Trial made it more interesting and you really had to pace your BRs, and you were punished for wall hits with having less BR potential for the rest of the race. In a Goteki, I think, you had 14 BRs in a perfect Phantom race, but one less with the slightest wall hit. You could easily lose another one. Hanging on at the end of the TT with a pixel of energy, because you had Barrel Rolled yourself to the point of explosion, was very very exciting, and this has gone in Pulse. This was a better way of doing it, imo, than the unlimited BR carnival we have now.

I still think that just making it faster would be better, but of course there`s more than one opinion in the world. And like many democratic exercises this poll is a free choice, so long as you vote for the right side *searches for way to hack into Wipeoutzone server*

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by conrad View Post
    I've gotta be honest; I love barrel rolls. It adds a welcome extra layer to the racing for me.
    Well, then I suppose I gotta be honest, too;

My interest in WipEout as a series ends with WipEout Pulse. It ended about three weeks ago, to be exact, because that's the last time I played the game. Admittedly it was on shaky ground with Pure because I just didn't like the handling progression or the barrel rolls in that, but my love for the series is now gone completely. The Euro Convention this year will be my last tour of duty with the game, because after that I wont have a whole lot of reason to play it.

I didn't get into WipEout over Barrel Rolls and the complete weapons saturation that it's become, and those are the reasons I'm now not into it. I'm not going to continue to play the series just because the name WipEout is slapped on the front cover.

WipEout HD marks three games in a row with barrel rolls and - assuming it plays like Pulse - four in a row where weapons have dictated the gameplay. How can I continue to pretend that it's my favourite gaming series when it's been eight years since a version came out that I truly loved playing?

Truth is, I cant. I might as well be running a Manic Miner fan-site, longing for the days before Miner Willy moved into that mansion and it all went to hell, keeping up the vain hope that there's some way back.

Maybe one day in the distant future there'll be a version that has more in common with the racing game I liked to begin with than with Crash Team Racing. But I'm not going to fill the gap barrel rolling and reverse quaking as if it's all I ever wanted WipEout to be.

The fact is there are plenty more games on the shelves - so many that if there's a game mechanic that's pissing me off then there are lots of other games I can play instead. That applies to WipEout as much as it applied to Madden when they made it too arcadey and I quit playing that after six years solid.

Don't sweat it, I'll keep the site up, pay the bills, do the moderating, all that jazz. But the WipEout that I love and the WipEout that people who are voting "yes" love are totally different things.*

*It is worth mentioning that the outcome of this poll has no bearing at all on WipEout HD.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

"*sends out Zargz and Medusa armed with pitchforks and flaming torches* "

I gotta say that if I'd already went out and bought a PS3 you can bet I would be out there like an angry demon in a moment. That much money to play tracks I've already spent money to play...yeah, they look gorgeous in HD. Looking pretty doesn't make the game any better though.

"The fact is there are plenty more games on the shelves - so many that if there's a game mechanic that's pissing me off then there are lots of other games I can play instead. That applies to WipEout as much as it applied to Madden when they made it too arcadey and I quit playing that after six years solid."

All I play for video games anymore is wipeout. Everything else feels sort of...wrong. But I've still got all the real wipeouts sitting on my shelf at home, some of them I've yet to get the most out of. Even WipEout (1) I can easily go back to although I've pretty much played it to death already.

I see where foxy is coming from and am near the same opinion myself, although I am still enjoying Pulse, mostly for the easy across-the-world multiplayer it allows.

And yes, slapping Wipeout on the cover does NOT make it great (*cough* Fusion...). I think Pulse is a great game only because of the multiplayer. And even then it manages to screw that up sometimes with the crashes...etc...

I'm afraid that the opinion of the hardcore true fans will not matter as long as Sony can find enough new buyers [unfamiliar with the old series] to outnumber them. Yes, the true fans will buy 3 copies of the game from different regions instead of just buying 1 like most of the newbies, but I suspect that the real fans are outnumbered by a larger margin than 3 to 1, so their purchases would still be in the minority, and hence less influential on marketing decisions.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

"I'm afraid that the opinion of the hardcore true fans will not matter as long as Sony can find enough new buyers...their purchases would still be in the minority, and hence less influential on marketing decisions."

Yes, I think your statement has already been proven, Lance. It doesn't matter whether I buy a PS3 or not, there are many thousands who have/will and also many thousands who will buy a game which calls itself wipeout because it's a cool-looking game. These same will also not care whether barrel rolls are in the game or even notice that the handling is un-wipeout. "Handling? Is there a difference between ships?" ask the newbies....

Anyways it's sort of funny, but I keep thinking that the next generation of "Wipeout fans" were born the same year as Britney Spears' big break, and watch American Idol for their favourite tv show, and buy whatever the commercials tell them to buy, and...

I'd better stop now.

PSN ID
    narren

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    Well, then I suppose I gotta be honest, too;

My interest in WipEout as a series ends with WipEout Pulse. It ended about three weeks ago, to be exact, because that's the last time I played the game. Admittedly it was on shaky ground with Pure because I just didn't like the handling progression or the barrel rolls in that, but my love for the series is now gone completely. The Euro Convention this year will be my last tour of duty with the game, because after that I wont have a whole lot of reason to play it.

I didn't get into WipEout over Barrel Rolls and the complete weapons saturation that it's become, and those are the reasons I'm now not into it. I'm not going to continue to play the series just because the name WipEout is slapped on the front cover.

WipEout HD marks three games in a row with barrel rolls and - assuming it plays like Pulse - four in a row where weapons have dictated the gameplay. How can I continue to pretend that it's my favourite gaming series when it's been eight years since a version came out that I truly loved playing?

Truth is, I cant. I might as well be running a Manic Miner fan-site, longing for the days before Miner Willy moved into that mansion and it all went to hell, keeping up the vain hope that there's some way back.

Maybe one day in the distant future there'll be a version that has more in common with the racing game I liked to begin with than with Crash Team Racing. But I'm not going to fill the gap barrel rolling and reverse quaking as if it's all I ever wanted WipEout to be.

The fact is there are plenty more games on the shelves - so many that if there's a game mechanic that's pissing me off then there are lots of other games I can play instead. That applies to WipEout as much as it applied to Madden when they made it too arcadey and I quit playing that after six years solid.

Don't sweat it, I'll keep the site up, pay the bills, do the moderating, all that jazz. But the WipEout that I love and the WipEout that people who are voting "yes" love are totally different things.*

*It is worth mentioning that the outcome of this poll has no bearing at all on WipEout HD.
    I do agree with you for the most part; im not the greatest fan of Pulse; mainly because of the tracks. Pure I enjoyed, it also reintroduced me to wipeout after the PSone heydays (I never played fusion for example).

I dont believe that barrel rolling is the downfall of wipeout. The series feels like it has no direction and I think that is ultimately the problem.