View Poll Results: Should Barrel Rolls be included in WipEout HD?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

112 57.14%
  • No

84 42.86%

Thread: Barrel Rolls in HD

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Barrel Rolls in HD

Should there be Barrel Rolls in HD?

If you vote "Yes", please say what changes you think there should be to the way it works, if any, or whether you think it`s just perfect as it is.

If you vote "No", propose your ideas for a new boost system, or just vote "No" and leave it to the professionals at SL.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I gotta vote yes, because it`s already made history from the past Wipeouts.

But, I want less Barrel Rolls much as possible or even harder to use it, the like as a original Wipeout game to make it more interesting.
    Like, I don`t want 6 brs per track, all I want is, let`s say 2 out of 5 possible chances per track.
    Other tracks with NO barrel rolls at all.

Got to be 50/50, say ten tracks, 5 tracks with possible brs chances and other 5 track with no brs.

I`m thinking too much!

stevie

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Yes, what the hell else am I going to do when the ship goes off a jump? It would feel empty without them. I also believe it takes a degree of skill to pull off a BR and you get the little boost for your efforts. Simply pressing a button and getting instant boost is cheap.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Hell no! If they make the game fast enough and hard enough then there is absolutely no need for any boost system.

PHP Code:
    Simply pressing a button and getting instant boost is cheap
    So is pressing two buttons to get instant boost, lol. No difference whatsoever in my mind!

If they have to be there, and I'm sure they'll leave it there simply because they were in Pure and Pulse - I have to agree with stin that there should be some tracks completely without, and the overall number of BRs cut down considerably.

I think BRs totally dilute the formula of Wipeout. There can't be any soaring jumps or even little jumps because there will be a barrel roll or four off of that one jump. In come the mag-strips to prevent this and you're locked to the track, which means you might as well have just left the track straight and flat in the first place.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am afraid decision to include BRs is already taken by SL for HD and from what we saw at SL end of 2007 there's probably no chance to see Brs be changed : not sure they want to refine the system before its launching date.
    But for next wipeouts in future that could be good to let them evoluate or completely stop that system and changing by a new one.

My suggestion (to avoid BRs) will be to add a 3rd possibilitie to the current swallow/fire weapons it could be a turbo bar which is increasing by racing perfectly ( no wall hits for instance) and can be used in some particular places by pressing L1 or R1 ( L2 R2 = airbrakes) giving you a turboboost while you press the button or till you release it.

PSN ID
    Alex_Se

Reading everyone's comments made me confused

I like Asayyeah's ideia. But in my opinion they could bring Hyperthrust back

Btw i voted yes. But Medusa made an important point so it made me confused.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    So is pressing two buttons to get instant boost, lol. No difference whatsoever in my mind
    Its actually 3 buttons and a short boost, as opposed to the hyperthrust whose supporters will be along shortly I'm sure, which is essentially a huge massive boost for doing nothing.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

No, it's 2 buttons - one gets pressed twice

I don't want it to seem like I'm in favour of restoring pits and hyperthrust - just want to make it painfully obvious that barrel rolls are a cheap game mechanic which ruins the flow of what could be a beautifully fast game.

I would argue it takes just as much skill to hold down 2 buttons at once on the right side of the PSP (thrust and hyperthrust if it existed) as it does to rub your thumb back and forth on the d-pad.

I apologize to anyone who's offended by what I think BRs are, but really it seems like they were just chucked in there to give people more to do on slow speeds, and now we're stuck with them. (Permission to hate me.)
    Last edited by Medusa; 5th February 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    leungbok - BADTEST

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Yes, what the hell else am I going to do when the ship goes off a jump? It would feel empty without them. I also believe it takes a degree of skill to pull off a BR and you get the little boost for your efforts. Simply pressing a button and getting instant boost is cheap.
    I voted yes for the same reasons, and i hope the side overrun (pressing left or right twice) will be there too. New techniques allows new racing's strategies !

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

What's side overrun?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

He meant side shift.

- F

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Rubix42

I second that question, please explain side overrun to the class

Timezone
    GMT -5

I voted yes. They're fine the way they are.

As the game is right now, I would leave them in personally, simply because of the speed of the game. Without them, and the game still moving AS IS, I would think would be too slow for pure pulse, or HD. However, if it were possible, I would like it replaced with a turbo button like Wo3, BUT still including all the weapons the game still currently has, including turbos. This way, YOU are the one to choose when and if you are going to risk your energy at any point on the track, rather than having to wait to perform a barrel roll on the slightest bump, then having to perform a street fighter move. I would hate this feature in an older version of the game, but in the 3 newer ones, it works, but with the other possibilities ranging from a turbo button, to just a faster speed class, I would rather have that. (IF that made any sense ). regardless of what alot of people think about the barrel roll, it is highly unlikely that this feature will be removed due to all of the high praise from the media for a future version of the game anyway, so it's either play this, or go back to XL. This is not a bash on HD for me though, I really like it, and wish I had more time to play. The physics for me are a huge improvement over pulse and pure with better pitch control than both, and getting some of the bouncy movement back that pulse did away with.

Sideshift for me, is a very serious change in the game however. I found myself going around a gradual turn without the need for airbraking at all, but found making the turn to be faster using the sideshift, which almost acts like a mini turbo when used correctly. I think it should be faster to make the turn with regular steering under this scenario. And the sideshift just makes the game somewhat choppy on the turns, kinda like fzero (yes I know there is no swearing here).

Re: FZero feel and handling: ^*%$#*%%***********************^

true, very true, just comparing the sideshift manouever, nothing else

Timezone
    GMT + 2

I remember the first time I made, by chance, a BR in Pure. I was really thrilled. I didn’t know what it was or how I did it but somehow I felt that I’m flying . I never felt like that since w’o’’3 at the big jump in P-mar Project.
    I like them just for the visual aspect and the way it makes me feel.
    On the other hand, if I’m required to do them as a condition for winning, especially that in Pulse and Pure they appear randomly after the input of the code, I begin to dislike the idea of BR. I never coped with the feeling of futility in a game where U just can’t help it because the game would not let U.
    I found even in HD some times when the BR did not activate in spite of the code input.
    I do think however that if, by doing one or a double or a triple BR U would be forced to take a different racing line, away from the speed pads, and by not doing them U could follow a line equipped with enough speed pads that in the end would bring U to relative equal terms with someone who does BRs, things could get fun. Maybe IT could settle this dispute: do BR if U want but U don’t get speed pads, or race a perfect race line, like in w’o’’3, but u don’t get to have the opportunity to do BR. )
    Also, about the side shifts, I wonder if I don’t overdo them, but then again if I race against an Assegai, with far more maneuverability then my Triakis I just have to if I want to stay ahead. The thing is that in the end I found my racing stile changed so much that now I do side shifts almost at every corner even if I don’t need it. It has become second nature and I’m not sure if this is really a good thing. I wonder if without side shift I would have had a chance with the poor handling of Triakis which I find to be poorer in Pulse then in Pure and poorer in HD then in Pulse. But maybe that’s just me.
    As for how it is possible that a BR can give U a boost, I always imagined that in fact the pilot is the one that decides to transfer some of the energy from the shields to thrusters, and that the barrel roll is only an evasive maneuver to avoid any “incoming” while he concentrates on the transfer. I like this idea a lot better than the “Section 12.1 - "Flair" rewards”.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I would say no to future games as I don't think they add much but technical oddities to the game where people who have mastered it have an advantage over those that don't even tho they may not be as well rounded a racer. I have heard they tightened the controls so I guess it would be more favorable to me but I really was put off at how I could not get the barrel roll down on the old patches. I went from top 100 times a long time ago to not even caring as I was not going to invest a lot of time in the mechanic itself as I see racing as racing. I don't like shortcuts I and would rather they just not be in the game. My opinion.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    robanddee

I say yes to BRs, & I like them just the way they are! IMO any half decent pilot should have no difficulty pulling them off, and there's a trade off in any race, as you lose ship energy each time you perform a BR leaving you more vunerable to weapons from other racers, or even crashes into track sides. The more BRs you use - the less weapons you can use, as you have to absorb to replace lost ship energy...or run the risk of being blown to bits!