Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Pad or Analog

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Older games don't get much of a look in these days but it was neggy for them. D-pad on PSP I find the nub is not as sharp for control as the d-pad and I don't even want to think about trying to barrel roll with it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Default D-Pad or Analog

Here i am, racing some really great guys online (T-Rex29 being one) and all i keep doing is hitting walls and trying REALLY hard to get a decent line.

I use the Analog almost exclusively, and wondered what others used & why? I'm thinking of using the D-Pad instead but find it really slow & difficult. Any hints or tips? ... Please!!

Timezone
    GMT -1
    PSN ID
    alucioj

Im not an expert, only just bought Wipeout and playing online found I was last every race almost lol (Im playing the grids more to get up to scratch).

Personally though I prefer the D-pad out of choice/habit for computer games. I havent tried to use the analogue with Pulse but I reckon Im more accurate with the D-pad. Its all down to choice though. Maybe the experts have valid reasons for either. I have only used the PSP Analogue for Pes6 as all the reviews suggested to use it and having tried both; the Analogue for Pes6 was far more accurate and precise in movement......however I have Sega Rally also and I tried the analogue once and it didnt feel too precise for me to persist with it.
    Last edited by Alucioj; 22nd January 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

i use the D-pad as the analog stick is a pain for me. i may switch at some time, but most likely i wont as the stick is in a weird place.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Thanks for the link bloseth. I did do a search before i started this thread but could only find stuff related to other Wipeouts & not Pulse! I shall go read right now & continue in that thread.

Thanks also to Alucioj & BARTgai for your answers. It's fascinating to find out how people play their games & why they use either controller!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I thought it better to merge the threads - good work bloseth.

PSN ID
    Therealmat

I use the D-Pad, I've never really tried the analog stick.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by BARTgai View Post
    i use the D-pad as the analog stick is a pain for me.
    That's my take as well-- whatever possibility that I might actually like the analog nubbin is destroyed based on it's placement in the extreme lower corner of the PSP

I'm still glad though that Sony didn't swap the current positions of the d-pad and the nubbin, however.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Well it certainly works well for you Frances, you were almost "Uncatchable" many times. I've been trying to get used to the pad, but it's difficult. I shall keep trying though, because i feel that it's worth being able to use both. Most of the really fast racers seem to use the Pad, so there must be something in that?

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

d-pad all the way

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    MAMUTHcz

i used analog stick for quite some time back in pure, but later i started to use d-pad and now i canĀ“t imagine i would go back to analog... plus its much easier to perform barrel roll

PSN ID
    realityhole

Default D Pad

I have always used the D Pad, the analog stick just doesn't feel respnsive enough for me, and my massive hands make it hard to use, I found that a good control setup is to have accel as circle, absorb as triangle and fire as x, then you have lookback as sqaure.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

That's interesting realityhole. I've often seen posts where poeple have changed the accell button etc, and re-mapped the whole lot according to what works for them. I've never tried this myself, but i think i might just to see what kind of difference it makes to racing.

I've been trying to use the D-Pad the last week or so, just to get used to it a bit more, but i find that i almost always slip back to using the stick, and the scary thing is that i don't notice my hand doing it!

Who's in control here.... me or my hand!?

you and me seem to be the only people left in the world who use the stick. I`m finding Pulse steering so different to Pure, so I have decided to experiment with d-pad, just today, and did exactly the same thing - totally forgot to use the pad and did a couple of laps with the stick instead, all the time thinking "this d-pad isn`t too bad actually" I think the pad may be more precise in the end, but I`m feeling a bit disconnected with it and I`m so slow getting into a BR. I`ll just have to force myself to stay with it and hope it comes good.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    wichetael

I can't bring myself to use the nub on the psp, it's just in a way too uncomfortable position when you also need to use the left trigger and completely screws up the symmetry of left and right airbraking.

Also I actually find it easier to do BRs with the d-pad than with the nub, I can just roll my thumb over the middle to do them.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    BravePotato7 / ARI

I started out with the analog stick, but the d pad is so much more comforable and easier

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

I've used D-Pad in Pure for a long time, then swiched to analog and I found it easier and faster when I got used to it. So in Pulse I also use analog.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia Elenova View Post
    I've used D-Pad in Pure for a long time, then swiched to analog and I found it easier and faster when I got used to it. So in Pulse I also use analog.
    Hmmm, you, Lunar & myself seem to be pretty much the only ones using the analog stick in Pulse. I'm sure there are a few others as well, but we're definitely in the minority...... strange.

I'm still using the nub..... as Lunar said, everytime i use the pad i find myself (Almost unconsciously) going back to the nub without even realising that i'm doing it....

I've tried the pad a few times, and i must admit that there are a few times when i suddenly think... "Yeah, this is working OK!" and then i hit a corner or somesuch and Wham!! That's when i revert straight back to the nub, vowing never to touch the "evil D-Pad" again! ;D

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    Swift412

I tried using the D-pad for an hour or two, but I prefer the analog