Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D-Pad or Analog

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

Default D-pad or analog?

I used to use the analog, but my hands kept cramping up, and I had to learn using the d-pad. Now it seems to work better for me than the analog ever did. What are you guys using?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Always analogue (neGcon). Unfortunately the PSP's analogue nub is crap, so I had to get used to the d-pad. Although while it worked great with Pure, with Pulse's sensitive controls and its track's many long, sweeping bends, I am in desperate need of a proper analogue input method.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

I never had a negcon, but I used analog in wo3 of course (and fusion), but I was mainly thinking of the PSP, now. I totally agree that the PSP-analog is leaving a lot to be desired. I wonder, has it been changed anything in the slim version of the console?

PSN ID
    jacenat

d-pad all the way.
    tried analog stick once ... but i have to big hands to reach it comfortably.
    also, i have to remap accel to SQUARE and fire to X for me not to cramp.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

You know what? I really miss having an extra set of shoulder buttons. That would have made absorbing weapons and using weapons a bit easier... *sigh*

PSN ID
    MarcoM1972

D-pad in Pulse. The analogue stick is crap for racing games on the psp. It does work for other games, but not for racing games.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

I actually think I liked using the analog in Ridge Racer, but that's a game with an entirely different tempo.

PSN ID
    jacenat

Quote Originally Posted by bloseth View Post
    You know what? I really miss having an extra set of shoulder buttons. That would have made absorbing weapons and using weapons a bit easier... *sigh*
    i only have problems absorbing because i absorb with CIRCLE with my right index finger. so i can't absorb when i need to turnbreak right.
    this could be solved if i switched backlook and absorb so i can absorb on TRIANGLE with my thumb ... but i am so used to this setup ... no way i gonna adapt.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

My solution is pressing the x with the joint of my thumb, and using the tip for weapons and absorbing. Works most of the time, but the angle of the hand when absorbing is not very good, and sometimes screws up my flow...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

ALWAYS the analog stick, and NEVER the D-Pad. I have tried with the D-Pad but it's just too slow & jerky (For me anyway) and i always go back to the Analog stick. I'm a very "Light handed" player (I don't bash the controls around & i don't push the buttons any harder than i have to) so i find the Analog stick works really well.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    o3pcah

i dunno if it's just me or my psp, but i have the feeling that the analogue stick is just too slow. im more precise and faster with the d-pad.
    though i might still give the analog stick another chance.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I'm using the nub (analog) steering. Have done so for pure and I'm still doing so for pulse. I just never got the hang of doing proper barrel rolls with d-pad... For all other wipeouts I use NeGcon.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I use the nub now, but I do barrel rolls with the D-pad. Might want to switch to the D-pad in general, but the distance to the left-shoulder-button feels really weird then.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I used the nub exclusively for almost a year with Pure. I was playing Initial D (also with the nub) and found the game almost uncontrolable. A friend suggested trying the D Pad and Initial D became instantly playable! I quickly pulled out Pure and attempted a few laps with the D Pad - same story. Pure felt about 50% more controllable. I never looked back and continue to use the D Pad with Pulse.

I have found that the nub works great for action or shooter titles on the PSP but not very well for racing titles.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

I've only used the analog nub for both Pure and Pulse. Makes those long turns smooth instead of tap, wait, tap, wait, tap...

I use D-Pad all the way. I hate the nub on the PSP, and the d-pad is only a little better. But I've used the d-pad right from the start of playing WO, so its hard to break a habit.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Brica

I only use the nub. It's just what i need for a better control on the pitch on Platinum Rush Phantom (i love this track, it feels like riding waves at high speed).
    And for the barrel roll, i found that a quick circle instead of left-right-left works very well !

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Stardragon88

Hmm I only use the D-pad, the nub just seems too far away from the L button and it screws up my left airbraking.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

dpad for psp , neg for older ones

Hanging in the air in the same way bricks don't

D pad for all Wipeouts.

Also, Square for accellerate, X for fire and triangle for drop/absorb. One of the things that really annoys me in Fusion is not being able to reassign the buttons (but you can at least turn off the analogue-ness of the buttons and D pad, which is a great feature and should definately be included in Wipeout HD, since it probably won't be compatible with the original PS1 digital controller that I use for all current console Wipeouts).
    Last edited by Hail Seizure; 22nd December 2007 at 10:31 PM.