GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

Qireж is the worst ship maybe

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

I find it as a really good one. Well balanced, nice model.

I think Qirex had already been neutered in Pure. I like the old ultra-heavy ultra-fast barely-steerable Qirex. More fun in the challenge.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

I know it's tempting to knock Qirex after looking at the stats, but it's still a very usable ship. Decent speed and handling, excellent shield, and although it doesn't accelerate too well from the start, it seems it doesn't lose much speed through corners (as long as you can stay off the walls). I'm sure there are other stats not mentioned affecting all the ships' performance (e.g. weight).
    I think a straight track like Talon's Junction requires a high top speed for the fastest times (and O7 is faster with decent handling and thrust IMO), but for most tracks, the ships seem to be very well balanced and are all usable once you get used to the feel of them.

edit: btw EG-X is the best
    Last edited by MrSmadSmartAlex; 17th July 2009 at 06:24 PM.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

it doesnt matter what ship you're in - as long as it's an AirLicker

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

Nice slogan.
    I just had some races online using the Qirex concept (to try to put ace off, as his airlicker skin distracted me), and I can confirm that Qirex is a great ship. Just takes a little getting used to because of it's strange handling. Also you need to stay off the walls to get the most out of it.
    Also tried Piranha, which was ok but sluggish, and Triakis, which was even more sluggish, but kind of unstoppable on straight sections. I think if anything, these two are the weak online ships, due to lack of thrust. Maybe at slower than Phantom speed it's different though - I remember ace kicking me about in a Piranha when we were still racing Flash.

ACE-FLO is offline Banned for using a sock account Zone Pilot
    PSN ID
    ACE-FLO // Killer_LoopZ

Like Alex says, he chose the Qirex for a good few good races against me. He did well with it, so I raced with it for a few races aswell, the Qirex is surprisingly good to pilot. Well balanced. but the fun thing was "2xQirex" going head to head, how rare. It was hilarious but intense.

I like all the Pulse's ships, except....the only one....Mirage !
    On the first times that I've played I've said: "He looks strange! 8 in every racing skill....'so interested!".....for the first times I've liked it....but and after that short number of times that I've played...."S**t! It looks like a DJ's head! And when it turns....looks like a wheelchair !"....and that green color is a punch in your eye....the Zone ship in the PS2 version looks like a mint popsicle!
    For me a ship with 8 (or the same value) in every racing skill is useless....very unsporting choice for me, a ship MUST have positive and negative points to be a "realistic" WipEout ship (two basic examples: Feisar, most manovrable ship ever, but the lowest top speed in the game; Icaras: the best top speed ever, but the lowest shield at the same time).
    I don't have nothing against the people who likes Mirage, but in my personal opinion, i hate this team !
    ....and feel free to hate Harimau uahahaha !

Quote Originally Posted by ACE-FLO View Post
    Ah, yes. Those Russian engineers, they got a habit of making things a lil too heavy, meh. So it takes longer for its Air Brakes to respond at faster speeds, more mehness. Therefore, you have to adjust your braking technique accordingly, meh meh (cheese face). Something like that!

There's a thread here somewhere, it explains the whole thing pretty well... I'm sticking with AG-S & EG-X... my warriors! Weak as they are, they put up a good fight! and sometimes, they die trying... meh!
    meh

That twitch buddy, is the result of having thumbs which are too heavy... she don't like that.

Remember, she's a lady, she has to be treated as such, and she'll reward you with the sweetest pickups the most exhilarating lines and she'll handle like a pro... never let you down.

Just don't squeeze her so hard man!
    i'm learning that. scent of a woman when he's driving blind and all that. like a pro, fly baby fly

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I like Icaras cos it's tough, and requires firm handling.
    do you mean pulse icaras is, as per usual, all out speed at the expense of everything else? brilliant. i love ag-s and piranha of old, and eg-x is growing on me - along with a number of others - but icaras is my favourite on 3 and pure which i've been giving a spin again and it's close to being my overall favourite hey. it's just all about the top, flat out, maximum possible speed. in the anti-gravity joust, you want the fastest saber. especially if it comes in pink(ish)! well actually it's dominated by a most royal purple

Lance, you rule dude!

Now I know why Icaras only comes in pink... lol, your post got me laughing too loudly. Actually, I yelped! Family thinks I've gone mad, laughing like that.

thanks! lol.
    (ish)

moar deep purple!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmin-jade View Post
    he is talking about me....icarus is my secret nickname
    don't shoot him he's just the messenger

BOOM BOOM

ah, Icarus is your secret name huh? hmmm... nice.

me thinks Lance was making a sexual innuendo, and he's gay, so the icarAs he was referring to was indeed a big strong man (ship) in a fuschia pink shirt! lol, he posts wicked one liners!
    icararse.

inyourendo.

There is very little pink on an Icaras. And I don't wear the colour, muhself.

Innuendo? Me? C'est impossible. Sorta. Maybe. And anyway, I'm not into endos.

Icaras is not at all twitchy, and requires firm control and anticipation of required direction changes. Lotsa power, lotsa speed, a challenge to pilot well. What's not to like?
    Best of British

Burning with Burnston's drive

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvai View Post
    I know I'm going to get roasted for this, but I'm not a big fan of Pulse's Qirex. It's been neutered hardcore. For a big Russian machine it's far too...wishy-washy. It's not good at anything at all, exept maybe its acceleration. Whenever I pick it I'm thinking that I'm too harsh on it and I should give it some slack, but I always come out dissapointed after a few races, to which it gets relegated with Goteki to the 'only if I'm bored' pile.
    this is something i hadn't considered up until now, but it doesn't quite feel like a qirex anymore, it is pretty good, not exceptional but solid and accomplished in most fields, but i think what you're noticing is a more comfortable ride, i thought that was a good thing but then feisar wouldn't really be feisar if it had an injection of speed, icaras and piranha wouldn't be without their speed, harimau and goteki wouldn't be if they weren't rubbish but likeable, assegai are athletic and agile by design etc.

i think the crux here is - triakis took over as the bully boys in pure. trigon in pure also had a beast to pile around in but qirex were... neutered, as you lot so observantly put it. it's not the same qirex, it's evolved. maybe the soviet future collapsed into a new new russia which modernised, reflected in the craft which was streamlined and balanced out more to try and spearhead the field again, and the arms dealers based in aus filled the big bastard gap in the market. piranha seem to have moved into that identity in pulse too, actually, although they're still all about the speed. i miss their good handling, though. that's something they always had.

Yeah, I agree. It frustrates me further, coz it's such a good looking ship too...
    qirex looks fantastic in pulse, yes. i love the alternative skin

Quote Originally Posted by NightArh View Post
    Qireж is the worst ship maybe
    goteki is, for me. feisar could have been but the speed's a 7 not a 6, and in rapier and phantom the exemplary performance in other areas elevates it. goteki's acceleration is outstanding but it flies like a lump. good challenge, i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by archman View Post
    I find it as a really good one. Well balanced, nice model.
    that's not qirex though, is it! it's lovely as cherry pie but as lance says,

I think Qirex had already been neutered in Pure. I like the old ultra-heavy ultra-fast barely-steerable Qirex. More fun in the challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmadSmartAlex View Post
    I know it's tempting to knock Qirex after looking at the stats, but it's still a very usable ship. Decent speed and handling, excellent shield, and although it doesn't accelerate too well from the start, it seems it doesn't lose much speed through corners (as long as you can stay off the walls). I'm sure there are other stats not mentioned affecting all the ships' performance (e.g. weight).
    I think a straight track like Talon's Junction requires a high top speed for the fastest times (and O7 is faster with decent handling and thrust IMO), but for most tracks, the ships seem to be very well balanced and are all usable once you get used to the feel of them.

edit: btw EG-X is the best
    qirex has a speed of 8, i believe. in fact i think it's only lacking in thrust, while it has a decent handling which removes it's feel of weight and cannonball style of flying. and does thrust and handling really increase speed? not on the straights, shirley?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    I like all the Pulse's ships, except....the only one....Mirage !
    On the first times that I've played I've said: "He looks strange! 8 in every racing skill....'so interested!".....for the first times I've liked it....but and after that short number of times that I've played...."S**t! It looks like a DJ's head! And when it turns....looks like a wheelchair !"....and that green color is a punch in your eye....the Zone ship in the PS2 version looks like a mint popsicle!
    For me a ship with 8 (or the same value) in every racing skill is useless....very unsporting choice for me, a ship MUST have positive and negative points to be a "realistic" WipEout ship (two basic examples: Feisar, most manovrable ship ever, but the lowest top speed in the game; Icaras: the best top speed ever, but the lowest shield at the same time).
    I don't have nothing against the people who likes Mirage, but in my personal opinion, i hate this team !
    ....and feel free to hate Harimau uahahaha !
    a DJ's head? it looks like a crushed can to me. perhaps carlsberg or something. and it's certainly welcome to have a rich middle eastern team, although it being a sand baron... interesting to hear how the value of sand managed to shoot stratospheric!

something for the future perhaps. piranha developed parts for anti-grav before unveiling their own team in 2097, so they should be all about top end performance, and speed, they've always had speed. other teams have their own characteristics and identities - qirex should up the speed and lose the handling again, return to being a heavyweight bruiser to rival triakis, and even tigron could return, as the remnants of the company rolled out a new ship in secret to attack the company they once took over and then had to release facilities of again after the fiasco of fusion - g tech can stay dead though, rubbish - i loved tigron's iteration in pure so i want moar - but my overall point for the future is something similar to what fusion apparently has with vehicle specific weapons - have vehicle specific abilities. apparently the mag strip tech was developed by the mirage guys in the UAE, soooooooooo they should be the best ship to play with on mag strips, they should be smoother and more stable on those sections of tracks, in future wipeouts, perhaps. something to consider to mix it up a little, just an idea.

and harimau are the environmentally friendly malaysians! topical and tropical. it looks like an sporty trainer and flies like a slow fish, which it also resembles equally. fantastic stuff.

PSN ID
    MrSmadSmartAlex

I think handling and thrust do increase speed overall. With higher handling, you're not going to be using the airbrakes as much, and also won't be turning for as long through corners, so will not lose so much speed. Also thrust is important when coming out of corners when you've lost speed through turning/airbrakes. This is why I said you need to stay off the walls to get the most out of Qirex - I meant more so than some of the other ships.

Also, I'm almost certain that the stats aren't exactly as they appear. For example, EG-X seems faster at top speed than Assegai even though they both have 8 for speed. And Harimau will turn tighter than Assegai, both have 9s...

makes sense, although i'm sure the instructions say airbrakes, in pulse at least, don't slow you down? but certainly coming out of corners acceleration helps a lot. that applies more to the technical tracks, of course - on fort gale i'd say the likes of piranha and triakis will win out more then say metropia.

and are those close observations of ship characteristics you mentioned - eg-x being faster then assegai and harimau turning tighter then assegai despite identical appropriate department values - consistently observed and were they spotted in multiplayer? have you any more? i would love to think that there are hidden values such as aerodynamics (probably unlikely) and weight (likelier and i hope they are there) that aren't made known but that influence the different ship's performances; if someone could confirm this or at least shed more light? also, have you observed any other nuanced differences?

and i've already said this earlier, in this thread i believe, so trust me when i say this isn't a knee-jerk comment to those observations - but assegai aren't great for me on pulse! what you say there makes sense and is consistent with my experience of pulse thus far. and it's nice to see such a likeable team as harimau being better, even non-explictly and subtlely, then another team in a certain department. caeeeeeeeeeek
    Last edited by willsgb13; 18th July 2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: adding commas in a couple of places for clarity of intent and expression

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

i would love to think that there are hidden values such as aerodynamics (probably unlikely) and weight (likelier and i hope they are there) that aren't made known
    As a matter of fact, there are!
    Each ship features about 20 different stats that are responsible for its handling. Like weight, corning, grip, turn, roll, turning rate, turning deceleration, speed, acceleration, ... Therefore, a ship's visible stats are a representation of those hidden stats that physically belong together, thus are grouped and totalized (averaged, accumulated or interval-based, that I don't know) in a single number.
    That's why ships with same stats in, say, handling (like the mentioned Assegai and Harimau), don't actually handle the same.
    For reference see Colin Berry's statement in this thread (I highlighted the important terms for you )

I hope I could "shed some more light" on that topic for you.

holy ****!

thank you very much, i did not know any of that and am excited and satisfied to know that to be the case now excellent. so weight, grip, roll, decceleration etc. really do have values for each ship and affect the way it pilots. brilliant!

i had read elsewhere that the tips of the ships were the same so despite differences in shape they still had the same build and width and so forth on the track for cornering and slipping past others and that. but to know that they're different in other departments and have different builds and attributes broken down into many different areas covering everything... this is fantastic.

funny to see that auricom are faster than they are supposed to be on phantom and that triakis lose speed slower; makes sense that the american team are able to squeeze that extra bit of juice out, and the arms dealers had a sneaky decceleration system. these things could be written into the story! in fact, i'm pretty sure the triakis one WAS.

looking at wipeout-game.com, it indeed was. haha! ninja

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

triakis lose speed slower
    Let's not forget, that this was true for Pure, in Pulse this "bug" was eliminated. At least it's said to be gone...
    "human error, fixed in pulse" (C. Berry)

yeah, well, i certainly enjoy triakis more in pure than i do in pulse, from my limited experience of pulse so far anyway

it's the top ship for eliminator so far for me, though, brick-shithouse

edit - blah blah, enough about me, how about yourself, favourites?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

What can I say, back to EG.X...also, Assegai and G45 are nice. Those three simply eat the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by willsgb13 View Post

and harimau are the environmentally friendly malaysians! topical and tropical. it looks like an sporty trainer and flies like a slow fish, which it also resembles equally. fantastic stuff.

I think the same !
    Is my favourite ship in Pulse, absolutely underrated.
    But my "gear" in pulse at this time is this:

1) Harimau: with its coolest aesthetics, great speed and perfect handling, Harimau is my favourite choice in Pulse, simply the best (But I an play it only on PS2, 'cause I don't have donwloaded the expansions packs );
    2) Goteki 45: at the first times I've said:"Top speed 7, Handling 7: what's the sense?", but since the first times I've played I've loved it! Good handling, good shield and the strongest accelleration ever: you're always at the top speed!
    3) Auricom: simply a monster! One the greatest shields and top speeds in the game, I use it in the time trial, in the most simple tracks.

And sometimes i play with Feisar (greatest handling, good shield) and Icaras (the fastest, but excessive low shield).

may i ask whether the 4 downloadable packs' contents come as standard with the PS2 version? i think i'd probably get it if so; despite already having it on the PSP :/ then again online play is out of the picture on the PS2...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    arch595esc

They come on the PS2 version as default, yes.

well... i already have 2 copies of gta vice city - one fails after a few minutes even after the disc was resurfaced but my 88% complete save file with rare cars in garages only works with that copy :/ - and 2 copies of world cup 06, for PS2 and 360, not entirely sure why; i think i'll get the PS2 pulse just because i'm still not 100% comfortable with PSP controls, and would like to try it on the big screen, and also would like to see the new tracks and try the other crafts, while i don't have wireless for PSP yet. can always trade it in later when i get online on the PSP

woop! i'll be back soon with reviews on the other 4 crafts which none of you will read soon!