Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the different ships in Pulse

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Au_Xtr3me View Post
    The only team I might jump ship to is... (drum roll)

Van Uber

Basically because I thought it was pretty much the best ship in Pure (don't flame me if you disagree)
    Van Uber is gone man you'll be waiting forever..

For some unexplainable reason I really want to test Auricom when it arrives.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Au_Xtr3me

Oh dear, that means my favourite team will remain AG sys forever

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    KANDANG

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    I've heard all the variations of the above, but that's only a claim. The results are so far consistently in favour of Piranha because as a group we haven't flocked en masse to any other ship and pushed hard enough to begin to disprove the claim. Not enough to knock every instance of a Piranha in first place out of the slot anyway.

I'm aware it would seem a likely impossibility that a Piranha would be smoked by a Feisar on Moa or Talon, assuming of course we have some semblance of real-world physics, consistent and relatively predictable in their attributes in action here. But such impossibilities are easily overcome in a freeform, code-based world like Wipeout Pulse where rules can be created on a developer's whim. That's primarily I fail to be convinced. An 800km/h versus a 725km/h (arbitrary values) top speed does not necessarily equal win in a world where 2 + 2 does not need to necessarily equal four.

I want to be convinced either way. We can come to a reasonably safe conclusion faster if a few of the fastest pilots organized an approach, perhaps by attempting to equal or better an existing speed lap with different ships. Already this has been done (I've matched your blazing Tech De Ra White Phantom Piranha lap with my AG-SYS -- I'm fairly sure we are comparable skill-wise). If we could do this many times across the various tracks, only then will we have a solid idea of whether there is in fact a supership among the mix.

Mods, feel free to split the thread off into the existing ship discussion thread if this continues.

- F
    howdy, you matched my piranha because I only had 1 BR on that lap plus a bump or two on the walls. Just did a run with the new Icaras (with BR this time) and didn't have trouble getting a faster time.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by KANDANG View Post
    howdy, you matched my piranha because I only had 1 BR on that lap plus a bump or two on the walls.
    You assume I found another barrell roll on my own run -- I didn't. And it wasn't a perfect lap either.

- F

''Willy-waving'' is adolescent and bores the hell out of everybody but the wavers; those of you who are engaging in it, please stop. Let results speak for themselves; parades of excuses make for dull watching when they're just being used to pump up egos instead of being used to educate others about the best techniques on a track. Racing better is the way to show that you're better at racing. Talking will not prove it.

Back to the topic, please.

Timezone
    GMT + 8

Been using FEISAR ever since Wipeout 2097.

Tired using other ships, they just didn't feel right, either they were hard to control or had too much speed.

No offense to anyone but i feel its the best balanced ship in the series thus far.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    ''Willy-waving'' is adolescent and bores the hell out of everybody but the wavers.
    That about seals it for me. Frankly I'm tired of the righteous attitudes and coiled up personalities around here; it completely kills off any semblance of enjoyment for me. I for one don't need it, and I and others don't exactly fail to notice that it has escalated drastically as of late.

My friends in Toronto have been about the most even-tempered people I've met from here. That said, I'll continue meeting with them as they organize our various local events, but going forward, that'll be the extent to which I interact with anyone associated with the Wipeout Zone.

Rob, thanks for providing us a place to discuss Wipeout. Please purge my account.

Flashback Jack

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    KANDANG

Minor update on the first post.
    Anyone else played around with the Icaras much?

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I'm kind of tired of the righteous attitudes too, so not too sorry to see any go...

Kandang, do you find that higher thrust with high speed (ex.Icaras) throws you off more when there are boost pads on curves? Or does it just even out with a sideshift in the end?

(I don't really have any thoughts on the different ships, since I only use AGS in Pulse.)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am flying with Icaras atm, i find that ship excessively good at least on few tracks like tech de ra ( our current TT challenge), when you pitch all the way down using diagonals on Dpad while turning you can really shave few seconds on a race time. I also tested it with the new Icaras grid, that is not an illusion , this ship has got poor shield.

My English vocabularie words and also my comprehension don't let me understand precisely what few people are saying, i just wanted to remind slogan of AG Systems : Let's be friends... life is really too short to see people arguing. I know we are dealing with competition that may generates some tension between members but above all of this we must respect each others. (end off topic)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Yoseep

Something has been bugging me since Kandang mentioned how Triakis also suffers having a big sized frame.

Does it mean all ships have different hitboxes (areas where they bump into something) perfectly based on their visual rappresentations? (simpler: that what you see is what exactly bumps into stuff)

Because that would also mean that there may be better and worse versions of the same ship, based on the ship models. AG sys is relatively slim, but its zone counterpart is the standard zone ship width, which seems wider - thus, it might be worse. On the other hand, if that is true, a Triakis might become better (slimmer) if its zone counterpart is used. Prototype skins would also have to be taken in consideration. I remember prototype Goteki to be visually huge.

Don't get me wrong, maybe not everything is necessarily better or worse. Some ships might have more stability because of width, etc (hasn't kandang also mentioned it being a plus of triakis in some curves - but maybe it's only caused by its weight factor...). I'm mostly curious if the properties are really affected by the size and shape of the polygon models and if, as a consequence, same ships have different sizes based on models used.
    Last edited by kekken3; 16th February 2008 at 04:02 PM.

Interesting question. I actually have a problem using most concept craft as, as far as I can tell, something is different about where the camera is in relation to the turning point of the craft. I seem to misjudge turns all the time when in concept craft.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I've been wondering this as well, Kekken.

Bigger karts definitely DO impact gameplay in Mario Kart DS for exactly the reasons you indicate-- in Wipeout, this could be an especially big deal because of the importance of tight cornering. In principle, it would seem that a "thinner" ship could take tighter corners.

I'll be curious to see what others think-- and also to see if the developers jump on and answer this question.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

yeah, seems a little cheap if craft like FEISAR can fit through tight areas better than a Triakis

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I wouldn't call it "cheap" so much as "reasonable"!
    Of course, it would be good if the slimmer craft had some equivalent disadvantage, such as lateral stability. Wider craft would be more stable, but be bigger targets.

Seems a fair tradeoff to me, I wouldn't be too surprised if it did work at least something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kekken3 View Post
    Does it mean all ships have different hitboxes (areas where they bump into something) perfectly based on their visual rappresentations?
    Nope. This will probably shatter a few illusions, but all the craft fit into exactly the same box. It speeds up the collision calculations, I think, and it's one less thing to worry about when balancing all the ships.

I found the design of the rear of each ship could be tweaked to give the impression of wider or narrower body - but look carefully and you'll see the wing-tips all reach the same width.

It's all nothing more than smoke and mirrors, as usual

Illusion shattered. It probably makes sense though. As mentioned, it could have quite an effect. Would be interesting to see if that could be used deliberately in future WO games though.

It makes sense on PSP, but I'd hope that future Wipeouts on more powerful systems would use a more accurate collision system where each ship part (wings, nose, body, prongs etc) is treated individually. For the time being, the box system is simple and fast, and it works.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Thanks, Egg-- glad to know what the story really is!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Yoseep

Thanks Egg!

Myth busted!

edit: now that I think about it, maybe I wrongly mentioned Kandang as the source of the large-frame talk, as he's the author of this thread and so on. Maybe it was someone else, but it doesn't really matter, as I think ship size was talked about in Pure times already.
    Last edited by kekken3; 17th February 2008 at 05:14 PM.