Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on the different ships in Pulse

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    KANDANG

Cool Your thoughts on the different ships in Pulse

1) Is it too early to assume there's a best / worst ship in the game? (out of the starting 8 )

imho,

Piranha seems to be dominating majority of the maps in TT mode.
    and a number of the top players are using AG-SyS for multiplayer phantom races.

up to Rapier, i'd say the say you could pilot the piranha, but at phantom if the piranha gets shot.. it takes a while to catch up to the front of the pack so i'd give it a miss for multiplayer.

my pick for least likely to be at the top would be Triakis

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2) anyway, here's what I think about the different ships

Assegai
    - My feel good ship. Whenever I wanna muck around trying different stuff on a map, or just relaxing on a Phantom I 'll bring this baby out. Somehow I find it more comfy to pilot this compared to the Ag-Sys. Has many fans and its stats are quite good. Don't know if I'd pilot this against high level opponents tho. Shield 7 is not something I'd feel safe considering some people are out to get you with their plasmas and guns. Even on head to head maps or multiplayer games with weapons off, this would mean I'd have to pilot my ship more carefully and I have to think twice about doing the BR. Maybe in a 4 player or 5 i'd consider picking this one up. A good ship to train with or complete the game with. Wonder how it'll fair on TT. Player to lookout for is zargz.

Qirex
    - My least used ship currently so I don't really have many good things to say about it. I probably understand it the least that's y. With more plays, I'd bump its ratings up. Used this the other to much around and I do like it's weight. It doesn't jump around as much compared to some of the ships and this could mean good TT times on a number of maps. Looking at it's stats it does seem to be a serious contender with good speeds and handling. However I don't know y it felt like the ship didn't go as fast as the other ships. Its handling felt really good tho abit like an Ag-Sys. Will play this more in future. A real underrated ship currently imho. Have not played against a good Qirex player yet.

Feisar
    - Popular ship used by cheaters because of its handling at top speeds. A favourite to a huge number of beginners too because of the 10 points on handling. Feels really comfortable at Phantom and should be on par with the top multiplayer ships. Very similar to the Ag-SyS and is probably the Ryu and Ken of Pulse. Good speed, good thrust, good handling and good shields. Beginners and pro's will like. Been playing around with this ship and I'm happy with it. It's definately not a noob ship imho. I like the handling at Phantom, lets it do all the work for me, and while most people are using the Goteki or Ag-Sys on Phantom, I'll stick with this for alil while. Pilot to lookout for is technicolour.

AG Systems
    - While leveling up the Triakis, I asked Asa what ship he was using and he said Ag-Sys. I thought to myself, how could this ship catch something as fast as the Triakis? Haha until I saw some of the times posted on the tables and I was like wow, how'd they do that? and I tried my hand with it and loved the handling and it's thrust after getting hit by a weapon during multiplayer. So I stuck with this. Alil slow on the Venom / Flash class tho so I'd only use this on Rapier / Phantom.
    One thing I noticed is that the total points it had for its attributes together with Feisar were the most compared to the other ships. Wonder why? Also, this ship is definitely another huge favourite of the community. Pilots to lookout for include Asayyeah, Flashback-Jack and Mad-Ice.

Eg-X
    - I wanted to like this ship but i feel safer off with at least 8 shield points. Haven't meddled with it much to give a review about it but I'm sure it'll be a favourite to a number of pilots here on the zone. It's speed and thrust will probably make it a good contender on some TT maps but wonder what happens on some of the more technical maps eg. Outpost7 black, will it lose much speed at the turns? Anyway, all the best to Stardragon88 and jorgex3 for championing the ship currently.

Goteki45
    - This would make a good multiplayer ship in my opinion. Its thrusts are a big welcome to anyone getting shot in it. It's shields are good too, 8 being the most balanced and even tho the handling is at 7, the thrusts really make up for it. Haven't seen many ppl utilizing it yet tho in favor of the other more popular ships like Assegai, Feisar or Ag-Sys. Probably in time more people will start looking at this. Not sure how it fairs in TT tho, will see how far supersox and Ash-Omen brings this ship to fame in future.

Triakis
    - The first ship I got 100k points with. I tried playing this in a few multiplayer games and whenever I kept getting slowed down by rockets, bombs etc., I found it hard to keep up with the front of the pack so I dropped this and went for a lighter craft. Another reason was I had problems bringing this around Outpost7 black at the 180 turns. It loses quite a lot of speed there. I reckon you can get a good time with this on Arc Prime white because it's ass doesn't jut out as much as the Piranha after the big jump + BR while turning left. A good pilot to lookout for would be Hellfire-X

Piranha
    - Probably the first person on Pulse to use this to great effect on Talon's Junction white is DjManiac and if you weren't using this, you wouldn't be able to come close to his times. Look at the top TT times for this map and you'll see the Piranha dominating here. Haven't played against him on Phantom while he's piloting the Piranha tho, he seems to favor the Ag-Sys against this in multiplayer. Have been using this ship for Venom / Flash and some Rapier multiplayer and it's a good and fast ship while pressing up on the d-pad. You can see the big difference on the slower classes v.s the other ships. Its ass juts out alil too much for my liking at some maps like De Konstruct white / Arc Prime white after a jump + BR tho. Heaps of players to lookout for from Venom to Rapier. Haven't seen anyone use it to good effect on Phantom multi-player tho.

Mirage
    - Balanced in every aspect. Feels abit like a Ag-SyS/Qirex/Assegai put together. Don't really know how to explain. You'll have to experience it for yourself.
    Can't use this in multi-player sadly. Hopefully they'll allow it in a future patch. Might see quite a number of people piloting this one. Not sure how it'll fair in TT considering that the Icaras is out.

Icaras
    - Like the Mirage, this pink baby isn't playable online but serves well in TTs. On par with the Piranha and will likely be top contender in the near future. With a higher thrust and handling, this should come out on top.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3) If you've met someone who I didn't mention that we should all lookout for in future, do inform us
    Last edited by KANDANG; 15th February 2008 at 04:16 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NeXaR_QroN

I like both Ag-sys and Qirex, but then I'm probably not so skilled to have a proper criteria.

Least likely? Wow, when I hit Phantom I found I got best results with Qirex. But then, I'm rubbish so by 'best results' I mean I scraped through.

Now, though, I find Assegai suits me best. It seems to retain its speed while having great handling for Phantom.

PSN ID
    Typhy

I completed enough of the race campaign to earn 100k loyalty points with AG-Systems (I was really curious to see what the concept ships would look like!) but, while the acceleration was great, I got slightly frustrated with the lack of top-end speed.
    The logical conclusion was to switch to EG-X, which retains the rapid acceleration but also has a decent speed (all at the expense of handling and shield, of course). This makes it vulnerable in/just ahead of the pack, but I suppose the mentality is: "they'll have to catch me first".

Assegai, however, seems one of the most balanced craft, and that good handling will help alot in the faster classes, while other twin engined ships seem a bit more cumbersome to me. Assegai's who I'd put my money on.

Typhy

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

It'll be interesting to see how different ships fair in time trials-- and if there is a split where the slower vs. faster speeds (or the open vs. technical tracks) favor one ship over another.

I mostly use AGS and Pirrhana at the moment, and there is a clear trade-off in performance on different tracks and at different speeds... FOR ME. But perhaps if I was a better pilot, the Pirrhana would win out even for more technical tracks and for the higher speed classes. I don't think that the game has been out long enough for this to be determined with certainty

The ships in general seem SO similar in performance that I will not be surprised if several of them are viable even for high level play (time trials or multiplayer). And that's probably a good thing!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

I'm not a great pilot, and still stay mainly on Flash races, venturing into Rapier now & again. At the moment, i have been using AG-Sys quite a lot, because it just does the job so well, on pretty much every track, WITH the ability to be quite forgiving of clumsy pilots like me!

I started using Feisar, but the lack of Thrust just kills it for me. I have clocked up over 30k with Feisar though, and maybe when i get into higher classes i'll give it another try.

I did try Goteki quite a bit, and although the thrust is great, it's a bit of a "Lump" on certain tracks.

My BIG surprise today however, was when i tried the Triakis. It may not be the fastest ship out there, but i've found it to be great at keeping lines, it's very responsive without being twitchy (Unlike the Goteki) & of course the extra shield strength helps with multiplayer.

Not really tried Qirex that much, but been H2H with it a bit today, and it's pretty good. Going to spend more time with that one.

EG.X i love anyway, as much as the AG-Sys. It's fast, handles pretty well, not "Too" twitchy and has enough speed. (& it looks good too).

Assegai..... i Really like Assegai, but hardly ever use it. Maybe it's because so many others (online) seems to use it, i don't know. But it's a ship that i need to spend more time with to find out what it's capable of.

My LEAST favourite ship of all is Piranha. I find it a pig to handle, It's lumpy & has a fat arse! (But it LOOKS fantastic!) So although i have played extensively using Piranha (Even unlocked the concept skin) i never use it online. The top speed is great, but the Thrust is crap.

So at the moment, my top ship(s) would be AG-Sys & EG.X
    closely followed (For experimental reasons) by Triakis. But of course with so much choice & so many tracks, it could all change next week!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I realised while playing online yesterday that I had only used Qirex (playing through single player) AG-Systems, and EG-X.
    Qirex I think is a good all rounder
    EG-X I chose for multiplayer thanks to it's stats. I figured it'd be something like a less fragile AG-Systems
    AG-Systems I tried after playing a lot with EG-X. but my thoughts on EG-X were wrong. being so much lighter makes it easier for me to keep the AG off the walls, so I tend to survive better at phantom in an AG.
    I tried Goteki yesterday too, I used it a fair bit in Pure. but in pulse it just feels too big... considering I often play with Qirex this could be considered a strange conclusion, but that's how it feels to me.

I am still yet to try Assegai, Triakis, Feisar, Piranha at all

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by ZenDJiNN View Post
    Assegai..... i Really like Assegai, but hardly ever use it. Maybe it's because so many others (online) seems to use it, i don't know..
    make a skin for it! you'll look different than the rest

if that's the reason you don't use it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Yoseep

Excellent thread.

I think this one could be stickied so mods and users can redirect all other future ship discussions to it.

For now I've dedicated more time to Piranha than to all other ships combined, so I really can't compare much. I love the fish and it works for me, but playing online against arrays of crafts with better acceleration, more than for the recovery of weapon impacts, I've begun to feel a bit handicapped by the high unlikeliness of getting an early lead. High shields mean a lot of BR's without compromising our weapon supply and combined with the top speed it makes for great stability in the long run, but sometimes getting out of the pack early is all that is needed for the win, and Piranha just needs more luck than anyone else to pull it off.

This is exactly where Goteki has been doing very well for me in Pure and still does here - in the few occasions I want a break from the fish. The handling isn't really stellar, but switching from Piranha it's already a world of difference. Getting out of the jam and still having enough energy to BR seems like a winner for multiplayer to me. Unfortunately multiplayer is as far as my experiences go, so I'll stop here for now but will gladly follow the thread to see how it develops.

Btw, Kandang, could you please shorten the long "-- --------------------" lines in the initial post, as they deform the window on lower resolutions and force people on 1024xn monitors to painfully scroll from left to right while reading.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Great thread!

I have been swapping between AG-Sys, Qirex and Feisar mostly.

Feisar - I completely agree that this is the Ken/Ryu of Pulse. Very well rounded and a great ship to take out onto a track you don't play much. I get many smooth laps out of it. Everything about it is intuitive.

AG-Sys - This is probably my favorite ship in the game - a real ass-saver. The quick acceleration gets you out of tight squeezes. You can actually get away with lifting off the accelerator for a fraction of a second if things get a little crazy. In Rapier and Phantom the lack of a high top speed actually allows you to plan ahead more than other ships. It gives you a lot of "go fast when you want to" opportunities. The AG-sys makes novices look like they know what they are doing and it makes experts invincible. It looks sexy, too. Maybe this is what the Honda NSX will look like 100 years from now.

Qirex - This is ship is not a toy. IMO it really feels like a war ship. The handling is well enough to get it around the track but in close quarters is where it shines. The ship is very solid and sure when you get up close and start shooting. It can take its fair share of damage, too. The Qirex is a little on the long side so you have to watch the nose and backside in some of the more technical courses. But this is the ship to have in heated firefights.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

I love my European Union and will never leave it.

I feel bad now that Feisar is the 'cheater's choice'

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by KANDANG View Post
    AG Systems

Pilots to lookout for include Asayyeah, Flashback-Jack, infected-pl and radiumx.
    Stop beating my records, you crazy guy.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Au_Xtr3me

FEISAR appeals as more of a beginners' team to me

I always race AG-Systems, its got the thrust and handling for Phantom tracks.

The most disappointing ship is EG-X hands down. It doesn't live up to the description on it's profile. Instead of "good speed" it kinda has average speed

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Airrider1

I know what you mean, makes me think that if EG-X had an 8 for thrust and a 9 for top speed instead, they'd be something to write home about. However, they're still a solid team and I don't have too many complaints. Get used to 'em and they become a fast solution to many a problem.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Au_Xtr3me

Or if it had 9 speed and 9 thrust, then it would be significantly more worthwhile

PSN ID
    Ash-Omen

Feisar and Goteki FTW i started with feisar but now use goteki alot more online its thrust is great for low speed classes and it handles high classes well too

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Au_Xtr3me

Quote Originally Posted by BARTgai View Post
    I love my European Union and will never leave it.

I feel bad now that Feisar is the 'cheater's choice'
    But your profile location says you're from the US

Should it read: "I love my United States and will never leave it.

I feel bad now that Auricom is the 'cheater's choice' "

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

well true, but my mother's side of my family is from Ireland, while my father's side is from Greece, both of which are in the European Union

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Au_Xtr3me

On another note we really need one of those Zone ships (no not 10 everything) but like pure: super high Speed, thrust, handling and no shield. Lets call it...

Wooosh! Kaboom
    Last edited by Au_Xtr3me; 16th January 2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Needless quote was removed ages ago!!

PSN ID
    Ash-Omen

i want them too bring back the medival ship that was pretty kool but its shield sucked, was it in an download pack on pure or was it unlockable cos it jus apeared randomly on my game 1 day lol