View Poll Results: do you want a negcon to be released for the ps3

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

50 79.37%
  • no

13 20.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bring Back The NegCon Controller For The Ps3 !

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

Default Bring Back The NegCon Controller For The Ps3 !

I'm hoping some wipeout developers down at liverpool studios hear our calls and speak to sony and namco on our behalf and bring back a wireless version of the NegCon controller for the ps3 for us to enhance the future of wipeout gameplay.

please sign with positive comments only.

Cheers

doh how do i fix a spelling mistake in the pole section.
    Last edited by Assimilator; 7th January 2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: please fix spelling

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Right, firstly - I removed all but one of the exclamation marks from your thread title. There really is no need for that kind of thing unless you're 13 years old and posting on a different site. Here we like clarity in the thread titles and it's not appreciated.

Secondly, your third and fourth options have been removed - the third because it's simply another "yes", and the fourth option of "candy" was totally pointless. If you're even the least bit serious about starting a poll in the first place, don't go throwing in stupid options.

I guess I should also add that Namco do not support the original NegCon any longer, so there are no libraries for integrating it with modern games. Who you really should be lobbying is Namco - imploring them to produce a new version of the NegCon, rather than expecting game developers to put the time and effort into supporting a peripheral that isn't even supported by the company that made it.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Talking

I don't want to be a black cloud around here as I have made some bad posting mistakes in my short life here and I am sorry for them, I will try harder to conform

I'd love a new neGcon, but I don't think it's going to happen
    the least we need is an idea of what we want

again, I really don't think it's going to happen so I think who ever wants one for the PS3 will have to make one them self, it can't be that hard

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Regardless of how completely unlikely and unrealistic, I am still forced to enter this poll. (yes of course!)

The neGcon was a gimmicky controller because it was compatible with so few games, and was in direct competition with the DualShock - let's face it, rumble rules!

That being said, it's been a really long time since those neggies were manufactured and I'm sure that a redesigned neggie with vibration added in and a couple extra buttons would really blow the minds of a lot of people. Not just the few of us in the world who still own some and use it for only one type of game.

If Fanatec can make a go of manufacturing "different" controllers like the Speedster Controller, which doesn't even have any specific game company sponsoring (that I'm aware of), there's no reason Namco or Sony couldn't. Their problem would be the extra marketing, research, blah blah...it all comes down to making the bottom line very, very black.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Not really, I feel it would be largely unnecessary for the modern day Wipeouts, you need pitch control but not like the older games required it. I'm not saying thats a bad thing either.

I think the Negcon has had its day. Its a good controller (recently got one myself), but the limited availabilty and high price of actually owning one means only a low percentage of players will actually own one.

With the tilt function of the PS3 pad, i'm sure something functional could be used, but I really think it should be left alone now.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

hmm too many NEGative posts in this thread

the basic control pad design has not changed from ps1 to ps3 it just been enhanced with rumble analog and motion.

then Negcon was unique for wipeout because of its percision and every time you twisted it it realy felt like you were twisting with the ship down the tracks.

motion is too lagie and does not offer a zero point or pitch adjustment and the analogue stick is too clumsy

the only thing i can see that could give the neggie a run for it's money is a fully fledged flight sim style analog joystick. but even that would be abit slow an clumsy like a big old nasty steering wheel.

wipeout is so quick and fast that it requires somthing small and precise and the only thing i've ever found that offers that is the neggie.

If liverpool and namco can released a negcon/wipeout bundle.

The NegCon and Wipeout go togehter like
    warhawk and the head set or guitarheros and the guitar.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

as the current ps3 hardware already has analogue triggers, I think the need to elaborate on that is now gone.
    The thumb buttons are still analogue in the same way as on the PS2 as far as I know.
    There is nothing stopping another hardware manufacturer from creating a new negcon style device that doesn't require special "drivers", one where the twist action simply sends left analogue l/r signals, and maybe the thumb buttons have a longer range of motion. look at the fanatec speedster for an example of what I mean.
    That would be my ideal, because it would work with everything, including playing w3o on my ps3 via backwards compatibility.

agree with Lion.

my vote is a qualified "yes". There is a contradiction and fundamental flaw in the first 3 wipeouts: at that time it was a game that demanded a level of control that the standard controller that it was to be played with, the Sony one, couldn`t provide. For many people, this controller wasn`t good enough for the game that had been made, hence the popularity of the Negcon. Pure and Pulse are very successful in that they manage to work well with default controller (they have to do, obviously). WipEout, for instance, can just feel frustrating with a standard Sony controller and I think this is the feeling that should be avoided in HD, one way or another.

If we`re asking "should HD be compatible with Negcons?" the answer is no, for me. It would not be practical or sensible to make the best possible performance in the game dependent on using an obsolete controller that easily falls apart and isn`t in production any more.

If we`re asking "should we have a form of control that gives us the kind of control a negcon offers" the answer is yes of course. Negcons give you independent control of steering and pitch, and precise analogue steering input that a dpad or Playstation stick can`t rival - just what you need for a game that`s super-fast and requires absolute control. If the sixaxis is good enough for HD we`ll all be happy, if not then HD will really deserve something better and I hope it gets it. A new model wireless neg with four shoulder buttons is just a fantasy, but maybe some other option will come along.

It also depends on the way the HD game is made, and whether the Sixaxis will allow you to do everything that the game`s physics allows you to do. With WipEout and 2097 you feel as if it was made for the Negcon, whether it was or not. When playing with a Negcon on these games, you feel like the only thing stopping you doing what you want to do is your skill and training. The Neggie will let you do it. With a Sony controller, the controller itself is limiting what is possible, on the first games in the series at least. If HD avoids this feeling there won`t be such a need for another controller anyway.
    Last edited by lunar; 8th January 2008 at 10:50 AM.

The Negcon is long since dead - Namcos decision

As such it wont be supported in HD or any future Wipeout

If Namco release a new Negcon, then who knows, but I doubt they will

sorry

Exclamation

The issue with the neGcon is that it doesn't have an analog button, so even though you could easily plug it into the pS3 you wont be able to assign controller slot to it, as you need the PS/Analog button to synchronize a controller to the PS3

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Where has your custom avatar and title gone to Colin? Something to the nature of Wipeout HD lead designer about to appear is it?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

He's opting out, man... some folk are just too cool for avatars.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

judging by some of the weird stuff they've released over time, I think Nyko would probably be a good company to approach to try to get to produce a new neggie equivalent
    they even have a "submit your idea" page here
    edit: just used the form
    Last edited by Lion; 8th January 2008 at 08:14 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oooh thats an interesting find. Was the Neggy not considered a failure overall though? Worst peripheral ever made if I recall the brainless ramblings correctly. With that in mind it wouldn't be easy to get another similar controller made, surly Namco would sue if anything even remotely like a NeGcon was produced?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Angryman View Post
    so even though you could easily plug it into the pS3 you wont be able to assign controller slot to it
    You will be, if you got an adapter, which I do. Unfortunately, though, the PS3/adapter combo only works with common PS2/PS controllers - but it doesn't recognize some of the neg's buttons and while connected the neg constantly moves the cursor all over the menues, which renders it virtually useless. Tried it with a black neggie, and I doubt it were any different if I dug out my white one.

Anticipating the release of Wipeout HD I Google "negcon ps3" and look where I end up!
    I think its a damned shame that the negcon did so poorly. It had to have been bad marketing at it's core, because I've let many people use mine and I've never run across anyone who didn't enjoy it. It was foolish of namco to stray from the standard way which ps controllers interface. The only thing I can imagine is that the motion of the negcon has a higher resolution than the analog stick thus requiring the special support, but I doubt it. I still have at least one white negcon NIB with one more on permanent loan, but the day my black one breaks will be a very sad day indeed. The speedster looks good, but not as good as something that twists
    I must say that I'm surprised at the number of people who don't want to see it supported for HD. They must not be able to find one of their own

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

I hear what all of you are saying about the old neggies but this thread was not made for the support of being able to use your old neggies

But rather a cry for the wipeout developers to acknowledge that the old negcon brought an un forgetable feeling to the wipeout games on the ps1
    and that a new and revised negcon should be created for the ps3 and marketed with the nextgen wipeout games in a bundle pack. As i said before like guitar hero and the guitar.

But i'd also like to add that is the wipeout developers come up with control features to parallel the negcon all mightly superiorty in precise controlabillity then i'll be impressed and very happy.
    Last edited by Asayyeah; 10th January 2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: please respect the rules : do not quote post which is immediately following yours

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by science View Post
    It was foolish of namco to stray from the standard way which ps controllers interface.
    they had no choice at the time, the PS1 came out with digital controllers only initially, remember?
    I don't remember when negcons, ps dual joysticks, ps analogue controllers, and dualshocks came out. but I am pretty sure that it was in that order

Was the negcon the first controller to have analog control for the ps1? If so I didn't realize it was that old. I know it was packaged with one of the Ridge Racers originally which I never played (they were good arcade games though!)