Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: packs not free?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NeXaR_QroN

Default packs not free?

Sorry for the, perhaps, misleading title of the topic, but it is the words that crossed my mind when I saw this: (click to enlarge)

The translation of the highlighted part says something like "On sale soon".

Were the packs not supposed to be free?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

English site says coming soon. Maybe they translated it wrong or were going to charge for packs originally then changed their minds and not the site.

PSN ID
    Ash-Omen

i doubt they will charge for packs overwise there will be 1 very unhappy forum.

im curiouse on how these packs r gonna work online for ppl who have the packs playing online with players without the packs
    Last edited by Ash-Omen; 4th January 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo >.<

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

They won't, if it works like Wipeout Pure anyone without the packs will be told by the game something like 'Ship not present' or 'Track not present' and won't be joining the game in question. Packs will be free anyway so there no excuse not to have them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NeXaR_QroN

Looking into the "features" section, I found out it claims to have infrastructure eliminator mode (in spanish site, again). Is this also an error, or it is being implemented later with the packs?

It's not that eliminator mode in multiplayer would rock only, it's that it would mean that more things than just "add ships and tracks" could be done with packs (such as fixing bugs).

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

Well, nobody official enough hasn't said either yes or no...

If so, I hope they won't get too greedy with this since, at least for me, Pulse track design in general hasn't encouraged me to expect much from the upcoming download tracks. Althought if it goes like with Pure, the add-on tracks will mostly be higher quality than the default content. I'm just little worried that Pulse might not have been fared well enough in sales to meet the expectations and they try to milk all money possible.

Charging for (possibly more capable) ships on the other hand would be just plain stupid move.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I see no reason why they won't charge with HD, other games on the PS3 charge for new vehicles so why shouldn't SL? Maybe theres no market for chargeable PSP downloads or something but I don't think we can expect extra free stuff forever.

I'd rather pay for packs than have them sponsored. That said, I don't think it will be happening with Pulse. The fact that the teams are all a part of the main game Pulse website as if they are standard and the tracks show up with record tables and have been there since just about launch would make a bit cheeky to charge for them now. There have already been quite a few people here wondering how to unlock those teams.

But I have no problem paying for content.

Same here. No matter how much you shop around, you`re not going to be able to pay more than £24.99 for Pulse, and with a decent amount of tracks and loads of extra features it`s already great value for money. I don`t know if we`ll pay for Pulse content or not, but there`s a lot of people working at SL and all their wages have got to be paid and make a profit on top, or no more Wipeout for us. If we do have to pay I just hope it doesn`t cause any problems with online play, or for people who can`t access Playstation Store for some reason.

But if extra content turns out to be a profitable exercise for SL at some point who knows how long we could go on getting more tracks?

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer
    other games on the PS3 charge for new vehicles so why shouldn't SL
    But when it comes to most beloved old teams (Harimau) it's a sacrilege!

PSN ID
    technicolour

I'd rather pay for downloadable content than have no downloadable content at all. Similarly, I'd like the option of having 'two' versions of a downloadable pack, a free one plastered with shameless advertisements, and a payed version, perhaps £5 for 4 tracks & Ships is more than reasonable in my book, considering how cheap the game is in the first place.

Edit: To be honest, I'd hand over £100 for a pack of 4 tracks if it came down to that... but then again, I can't see anyone outside of these forums doing that. (Hey, Wip3out set me back £65)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NeXaR_QroN

I'm not saying I would not buy it too, but I kinda assumed we wouldn't have to.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    AoNekoAmaru

The downloadable extra stages for Lemmings on PSP had to be bought and, combined with the title's already rather low popularity, got somewhat boycotted. As for WipEout Pulse's downloadable packs, if they were to cost then not all online players would have them and the online experience would eventually feel even more clustered than it is now (with no way of communicating online through the PSP you wouldn't be able to ask about everyone's downloadable content status and would end up being kicked from the room for lack of content now activated, unintentionally kicking players from the room for the same reason or simply not daring to activate any downloadable content to be on the safe side). That said, I would also buy those downloadable packs for the reasons previously mentionned: WipEout Pulse is cheap and its downloads should be worth their price.

Quote Originally Posted by supersocks View Post
    But when it comes to most beloved old teams (Harimau) it's a sacrilege!
    }goes to library to check out the enormous leatherclad volume containing the centuries-long history of the ancient and honoured Harimau{

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I have no problem paying for downloadable content in the form of extra tracks-- if this is the business model that is required to make Wipeout financially viable, then so be it.

Practically speaking, however, I hope they are free-- because (as pointed out by others) (1) it may be a cluster**** for Mac and Linux users (like myself) to purchase and download the tracks; and (2) purchased tracks will inevitably create conflicts and confusion in online matchmaking, since not everybody will have all of the tracks.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

centuries-long history of the ancient and honoured Harimau
    You may want to replace Harimau with Icar(a/u)s: You'll emphatize with me and found more text to read

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

how about feisar, ag systems, auricom and qirex?

The First Ones!

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

They'll release them as downloadable for next wipEout that's for sure. (Yes, even Phaisar)

Quote Originally Posted by supersocks View Post
    You may want to replace Harimau with Icar(a/u)s: You'll emphatize with me and found more text to read
    Icarus had a very short history. Pretty good subsequent artist following, though.

--

I'm hoping that Icaras has become a permanent fixture in the WipEout Universe, whether as default or download.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by NeXaR_QroN View Post
    It's not that eliminator mode in multiplayer would rock only, it's that it would mean that more things than just "add ships and tracks" could be done with packs (such as fixing bugs).

Yes, I would be more then happy to pay for downloadable content especially if they could fix the racetime records bug when you blow up.