Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do so many people not like outpost 7?

Default why do so many people not like outpost 7?

ive heard lots of people saying they hate outpost 7 but i like it. i think its quite a good track and far better then tech de ra which alot of people like.
    do u like it or not?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Firstly, I like Outpost 7, but I guess a lot of people don't because its a little on the hard side, I wonder if any of the devs took a Triakis or Piranha through it at Phantom? Also, it is not better than Tech De Ra so neeeehh.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I've taken a Triakis through it at Phantom

It is a good track, it's just one of those that takes a lot of getting used to I think, a bit like Silverstream did...

... although I never liked Silverstream

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    HISHO-JP-

I think it's easier than citta nuova.
    (citta nuova is the most difficult track in Pure!!)

So I'll like outpost 7 better than citta nuova.

PSN ID
    Lord_Khan

Random high-skill tracks are a part of the Wipeout universe. I haven't gotten to Outpost 7 yet, but look forward to laying down the law with Qirex on it.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Hmmm I thought Citta was annoying more than difficult personally (Who likes Triakis billboard right in your face if you don't nose down in time?). I think Outpost 7 will be very difficult at Phantom, it is the only Pulse track I've not currently attempted in Phantom class.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I have settled into the opinion that Outpost 7 White is a good track to race human opponents on but horrible for racing against AI or doing time trials.

The Black version is a mess, however. Maybe if I spent some more time with it I would come to appreciate it. But why would I when there are so many better tracks in the game?

And tech de ra is an excellent track. It is Pulse's "Fuji Speedway." Lots of high speed laughs before the track throws you into some narrow bends and nasty corners. I laugh my ass of everytime I race on it.

I've never had a problem with the layout of Outpost 7. There's only one spot that still trips me up consistantly (after the two u-turn bends just approaching the finish line - can't remember if that's white or black).

But it's one of those ones where, if you don't get out in front almost immediately, the AI will make your life a living hell and it's quite common you can go from full shield to blowing up without even realising what just happened. Like Citta Nouva only more so.

In terms of layout in Phantom, I actually think it's easier than Citta as it doesn't have any bouncy sections.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I still have a lot of work to do on Outpost7 to really understand the track and it's flow. However the thing I really don't like is the skillcut, because it is not rewarding. I think a skillcut should be rewarding because it is difficult and therefore it should be faster and it is not.

If you go underneath the skillcut you will find a faster way and on the black run you can even do a BR if you take the left side with the speedpad when coming out of the tunnel next to the skillcut.

If you look at Anulpha Pass in Pure that is a skillcut like it suppossed to be. Difficult, fast and therefore rewarding.

The skillcut in The Konstruct black should have been a mag-strip. It is too floathy. On phantom when you even pitch down you will sometimes hit the ceiling of the track. Not good!!!!

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Dogg, that'll be the black run you're referring to, the last left-right chicane is really sharp and catches me out nearly every time.

I agree about the alternate path too, it's much easier to remain underneath and you lose no time in doing so. In fact, on the white run, the dip at the start is a fantastic place to use a turbo and barrel roll.

PSN ID
    Eenieboy

The track isn't as hard as it is annoying. Not much just to go crazy down straights and the big 180 turns are unique to the rest, requiring an almost full stop at times, which ppl (includin me) find kinda dull. I suppose

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Stardragon88

I rather like it I suppose. Kind of odd though, that the bridge doesn't really confer any significant advantage for the trouble it takes to navigate down it. I personally prefer to drive off halfway and get a BR in the time it takes to land.

I don't get how the AI and autopilots do the 180 turns though I snagged an autopilot once and literally turned around at near full speed taking the inside of the turn as well. Even with the airbrakes full on and a sideshift I've yet to replicate that.

@Mad-Ice: Aye I think it needs a mag-strip too. I've given up trying to BR before landing on it because often I'll fly off the outer edge or overcorrect and slam into the inner wall.

Edit: I personally really hate Basilico! Feels too short for my liking, and some of the corners have rather odd (dark) lighting, especially that section with the flashing blue light. Makes it hard to judge distances.
    Last edited by Stardragon88; 2nd January 2008 at 05:16 PM.

PSN ID
    damonhill0

I hate it. Both the black and white runs.

It seems more of a technical exercise than a race track. The whole track doesn't flow at all.

I loved Citta Nuova. Something about that track made it very rewarding to master.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Chrono11

I don't like Outpost 7. Of all the tracks, it has the most amatuer layout. It feels like something a high school kid would design (two hard turns and bottle neck the racers in a bunch of turns that seem drastically more complex than they are, YEA AWESOME DUDE). Why would I want to race there when there are 22 other amazing tracks to race on?

PSN ID
    SalieriAAX

I've been so distracted by the skin editor I haven't even unlocked Outpost 7 yet. I do like the name though.

Thanks to me for my profound insight.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I liked it from the very beginning. Mostly because it's one of the very few tracks in Pulse that actually has some character. Most of Pulse tracks are- as said- generic and too similar to each other. Among others like Platinum Rush, Vertica or Arc Prime, Outpost 7 shines with uniqueness and style. Besides, there are only so many bends in any WO that feel as good as the second 180° on Phantom where your ship, propelled by three(!) BPs from 0- 800, fights centrifgual forces to scrape through the following sweeping right, hardly under control as is, only to get acclerated again by another BP. I'm loving it!

EDIT: Since Basilico was mentioned: Once you get the flow on Phantom it is a blast! Best 15 seconds (yeah, if only, I'm barely sub 17) in a racing game- right after Talon's Reach ^^
    Last edited by phl0w; 2nd January 2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: OT rambling

PSN ID
    Ash-Omen

Talking

i love outpost 7, great place too feisar people and pwn hackers

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Amen to that, Ash-Omen!

Out.7 is good when you overshoot the first chicane, the game puts you back onto the track ahead of it!

Otherwise, its so - so.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Well, I do really like outpost 7 on a black run but not a white run because it`s slightly a bit harder on Phantom level. Flash Class, I don`t like Black and I do like White! Go figures

I will get to the point, try and not to absorbs while racing on both sides?

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    the thing I really don't like is the skillcut, because it is not rewarding. I think a skillcut should be rewarding because it is difficult and therefore it should be faster and it is not.

If you go underneath the skillcut you will find a faster way and on the black run you can even do a BR if you take the left side with the speedpad when coming out of the tunnel next to the skillcut.
    Heh. I predict this section of the track will become a barrel rollers paradise once folks get more experience with the game-- at least in time trials.

The short walls on the bridge are very ride-able and can be used to initiate at least two barrel rolls along it's length. You can also get a barrel roll by dropping off the edge. So I'm guessing that, with practice, experienced pilots will be getting 3-4 barrel rolls through that entire section?

I find the entire track to be challenging-- it'll be interesting to see how it gets handled once folks get serious about time trials