Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The size of a wipEout ship

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default The size of a wipEout ship

I thought i should share this with you. Just the other day I was contemplating the size of the AG ships. So I did some research and used a car for comparison (fig. 1).

fig. 1 (click the image to enbiggen it)

I sized them so that the drivers' heads are equally large. So I concluded that a FEISAR is exactly a bit longer than a '63 Buick Riviera (which was much shorter than my initial guess of about the size of a fighter jetplane).
    Last edited by Lusshan; 27th December 2007 at 11:25 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

hmm, i always seem to recall AG-craft being bigger than that. from all the pictures i saw like online and in the pure galleries.

nice tho

( could you do a comparison of a Feisar and a DeLorean? )

PSN ID
    technicolour

I don't believe the pilots in Pulse are to scale, a more acurate idea of relative size would be some of the HD closeups.

http://www.wipeout-game.com/resource...HDscreen01.png

or artwork included with pure.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I guess you're right... perhaps the pilots in pulse use really huge helmets? I didn't take that into account...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

god i love that HD Feisar... *drools*

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by Lusshan View Post
    ... So I concluded that a FEISAR is exactly a bit longer than a '63 Buick Riviera ...
    hehe, I love that statement! 'exactly a bit longer' - classy!

For the record, the ships are fourteen metres long, and five to six metres wide - in 'game' metres that is (ie, the scale used by the tracks).

I think I scaled-up the pilots' heads a little bit, to make them more visible on the teeny screen.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Brica

Well… That also makes more place for the brain, right ? As (virtual) racers, we will take it as a kind of compliment more than a scale issue… It's very kind of you, Egg.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

WOW!! Fourteen Metres!!?? That's a fair size. I've always thought of the craft to be kind of like "WWII Aircraft" size (Spitfire etc) or maybe a small modern jet, so i guess that would be about right. 5-6 Metres wide is pretty huge as well.... these are pretty big ships then, and we throw them about as if they were made of paper!

That means the people are giants!

Are the tracks and ships in Pulse working on the same 'game' scale as Pure?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

14 meters for the win! Woho!

I love that they're that big

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    For the record, the ships are fourteen metres long, and five to six metres wide - in 'game' metres that is (ie, the scale used by the tracks).
    So my guess of about the size of a fighter jetplane wasn't so bad after all?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg View Post
    I think I scaled-up the pilots' heads a little bit, to make them more visible on the teeny screen.
    Or perhaps they're wearing gigiantic helmets!

So really, the average wipeout craft is about double the size of an average car.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    AoNekoAmaru

That's huge! =o.o=

Hmm... I had another question based on those technical proportions (posting it here since I wasn't sure it deserved an own thread): What are the safety protocols for pilots in the FX400 league in case of ship destruction? My guess, based on the size and technological level of the ships and trackside support, is that pilots are teleported to the stall (or a backup ship in Extermination mode). Seing such a huge mass of technological hardware (at least in normal competitions as I presume Extermination models are built cheaper) being destroyed makes you consider the economical costs but I can't imagine pilots being seen as expendable. Or am I wrong and should reconsider the risks of a Phantom career? XD

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

The WipEout games are always seen as the "offical game to the real sport". They're a simulation. Just like an F1-game.
    Not everything you see in the game happends in reallife
    WOFusion was - imo - the game that gets the best mark in terms of realism; there were rescue-ships picking up the pilots (when the ships blew up, the pilot was still there in a small drone).

Now that the official WOF website is online again, head yourself to http://wipeoutfusion.proactivity.biz/ , enter the flash site, choose "regulations" from the menu and hit "governing rules". You couldn't get more info about how the races are regulated

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by BARTgai View Post
    ( could you do a comparison of a Feisar and a DeLorean? )
    I could help you out with that

Quote Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
    My guess, based on the size and technological level of the ships and trackside support, is that pilots are teleported to the stall
    I always wanted to see the pilot escape in an ejector seat. But then, he'd end up like Goose in Top Gun if he tried it in a tunnel ...

I think Fusion got it right, all things considered.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

this rule from the Fusion site kinda gave me the creeps: Pilots must not indulge in intimate fluid exchange within 24 hours of a race

kinda makes you wonder who came up with that...

anyways, back on topic. i did feel the scale on pulse was kinda weird, but then again, its not like im racing on a huge hd tv
    Last edited by BARTgai; 30th December 2007 at 05:49 AM. Reason: starting going off topic :P

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oohh Fusion site back online excellent, I like those eerie sounds

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NOssX

Welcome Pilots!

Sorry for extremely bump, but I investigated this and in my opinion real [optimal in real world, on real sizes of our streets, buildings, etc.] scale is ~10 Meters. [not 14 meters, when you consider the creation that ship in many practical aspects today... again.. in real world] I did not take into consideration any scale from one specific WO game - I just concluded on the basis of all versions of the WipEout game series.)
    I prepared an illustration that clearly show real optimal proportions.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/484/32...f4f81ffc_o.jpg
    Last edited by NOssX; 15th January 2017 at 05:21 AM.