Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: list of Cheaters and possible cheaters on line!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Muse about what it might be all you wish, but you know what the facts are, and it's pretty damn nigh impossible to avoid facts. It wasn't the CPU speed for the reasons stated earlier, and frankly it appears your refusal to accept this has conditioned your thinking to the point of no return. Whether you wish to accept it or not, it also isn't a feature within custom firmwares, which are changed negligibly over their official counterparts.

The current "hacks" have people editing attribute files within the Pulse game itself; their flying Feisars have absolutely nothing to do with custom firmware itself aside from it facilitating the use of the hacks because UMDs can't be pressed at will (said hacks would work on official firmwares too if this could be done). The person you speak of may have conceivably had one his own Pure ship attribute files modified, but I'm not aware of any such hacks circulating the Internet. This isn't to say such hacks don't exist for Pure; it's only that I'm pretty dialled into the PSP news scene, and I likely would have heard by now.

Having said this, there is one overriding solution, and that would be to encrypt the plaintext attribute files within the game such that bored teenagers don't go digging and modifying things to win friends and influence people.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 2nd January 2008 at 03:59 PM.

RR, I`ve seen enough evidence to agree with you. It happened on Kai and it can probably happen on Pulse too.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

Custom firmware doesn't have to be on the bad side of things. It's a tool... and as such, it can be used for good and evil.

There's nothing stopping someone from making a custom firmware module which blocks the use of standard cheating modules as well as verifying the underlying files used by Wipeout... hell, even recording a video of the session to memory stick while being played (which is already possible).

That would be the absolute best form of verification. Ghost ship + recorded video + verified good files/anti-cheat.

Just an idea.

PSN ID
    AkiraXTC

me and 2 frends of me played today against 2 cheaters.
    maybe, someone can conform this 2 guys:

DJManiac21
    E-Kami

PS: sorry, for my bad english....

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

I hope that was a joke.

Doesn't DJManiac post here?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oh how about that, I'm not the only one that noticed DJ Maniacs Piranha...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

I certainly hope you all have your stuff together concerning DJManiac, because he's a longtime and quite dug-in member of the 'Zone, who I'm certain has enough marbles to not cheat. I for one will stake everything on the thought that he doesn't, and frankly, wish the discussion regarding him (or anyone for that matter) to disappear pending hard evidence. One could only imagine how hurtful such accusations could be, especially if it isn't the case.

Reason number two this thread should be locked down.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 2nd January 2008 at 08:53 PM.

There are a team of great mods here. If they deem a thread lock-worthy, I'm sure they'll do it on their own.

I'd imagine it's likely that DJ Maniac is just a fiendish opponent.

There's a difference between cheating and being skilled. A friend of mine got banned for a week on Xbox Live simply because he was skilled with a sniper rifle on Halo 2.

If you go online with a game, you have to be prepared to face opponents who are far skilled than you. Unless there is a good reason why they can be accused of cheating?

Do not say that people aRe cheaters; say you were playing against 'username' and because 'x' happened, you think they might be cheating. Then ask for confirmation from others who may have played against the same ones.

At this point, I think this thread is still too valuable to close, but it must be used in the right way

PSN ID
    damonhill0

I'd like to defend Djmaniac. I played him a few times and he kicked my arse most times. I've no reason to think he was cheating. He's just very good at the game.

Not played the other chap so no comment there.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

I played a 12 race tournament today and E-Kami was one of the pilots. I do not know him, but I see no reason to suspect him of cheating.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

OK I can see this threads going to break down entirely and do no good so I will apologies to DJ Maniac and add nothing else to it.

PSN ID
    Ash-Omen

Quote Originally Posted by borell View Post
    I played a 12 race tournament today and E-Kami was one of the pilots. I do not know him, but I see no reason to suspect him of cheating.
    hehe that was a fun tourney and no E-Kami dont cheat

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

Unhappy Is this for real?????

Hey, I'm catching up just now, my pc died yesterday and I'm checking the zone on my wife's mac.

I see akira why you would think I'm cheating, though if you knew me you'd know I just love the game too much to come even close to anything like that.

It was the first time today I raced Rapier, I certainly never had the honor, and was happy to find more people from the zone online

Regarding the races we had, I recall racing akira several times online before he even registered in this forum, we had some head to head races and tourneys, and in some I remember perfectly having lost and badly to you on tracks I still didn't know.
    And we had as well raced several races in which I was able to get out of the "cluster fu&k", as we call it with chrono, and raced pretty much the whole race TTing, mining and bombing the road.

If you guys sincerely think I'm cheating, I invite you to race more skilled pilots than me, like del_stepho, asa, mad'ice, etc...

I can assure you that all there is here is practice

I respect SL and all the wonderful pilots here way too much to do anything like this

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Yoseep

to clear some CPU clock in relation to cheating issues
    ----

Wipeout Pure

- Fact:
    It was possible to play Pure at 333 in multiplayer and the framerate did increase to 333 speed, giving a considerable advantage over 222-ers.

- Subjective:
    On local Pure lan parties we agreed of either making everyone play on 222 or 333, but never mix the two speeds, as 333 users were simply too advantaged due to easier handling and reacting in tight situations. Having this argument about 333 vs 222 a lot, once we played a whole session with our best driver (MrX) at 222 against us others at 333. He couldn't do **** and I-ve won most games. When we later all run at the same speed, he again dominated. Playing at 333 against a field of players at 222 means having an unfair handling/reaction advantage.
    On the other hand, we never noticed any real targeting/weapon locking anomalies or 333 people recovering faster from weapon impacts in 333 vs 222. I'm not excluding it, as ASA, RR, Lunar and other Kai vets definitely know their **** - problem is, anomalies like fully locked down missile not hitting the target happen on 222 as well and are actually a part of the game's system (the missile hitting a wall or a good player somehow dodging it). We did a lot of mixed research and we never could point it down clearly, while the advantage from sheer handling/reaction improvement was more than visible everytime.

- My verdict:
    Regardless of possible additional game altering effects of 333 vs 222, just getting the handling/reaction advantage of the dramatic framerate increase makes playing Wipeout Pure on 333 against a field of 222-ers easily qualified as cheating. Furthermore, in Pure the framerate had the tendency to drop progressively as the number of players increased. Games with 8 pilots at 222 were virtually unplayable, while on 333 were more than decent. Minimum slowdown in games with many players was another big factor in the 333 advantage.

---

Wipeout Pulse:

- Fact:
    It is possible to play Pulse at 333 in multiplayer and get the framerate increase to 333 speed.
    Just to remind, Pulse doesn't run at 333 by default. The framerate is still more fluent on 333.

- Subjective:
    I've tried playing on 333 online and I was far from invincible or invulnerable. Weapons seemed to lock to me just fine and I've never dodged stuff I wasn't supposed to be able to dodge. But I'm obviously not the one who can judge this alone. In addittion, Pulse seems to e better optimised to handle games with high number of human players and doesn't slow down in such occasions so the impact of 333 vs default seems even smaller. Still, I'll leave it to offline games/tests with consistent opponents before saying how dramatic is the advantage of 333 vs normal clock. It definitely will always be there.

- My verdict:
    No matter how small the advantage, playing on higher clock speed is and will always be cheating, even if the game is just a bit more fluent and everything else is 100% unaltered. Wipeout is a console game and part of the great console (and arcade) competitive legacy are the absolutely equal conditions for every player right out of the box. No Alienware CPU specs, no Fatal1ty laser mouses and no other 5000 $ NASA crap to give us the edge. Simple human skill is all that matters and all that should really be allowed to matter.
    In the end: you play on 333 against people on default speeds = you cheat. Your opponents may never notice it and with time you may get used to not notice any advantage you get (this will happen as long as there'll be better players than you around). But in the big picture, every victory, every personal achievement you get by winning, not coming last or even from just not exploding, will simply be untrue. Like it or not. Wanna feel good about your game? Play default settings.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

couldn't have said it any better

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Agreed! Nicely said. I firmly second the part about everyone using the same conditions. It's "great" how the last page from this thread has already almost spoiled the whole time trial/speed lap/challenges aspect in Pulse for me... Why would I want to compete against pilots who gain from faster frame rates? No matter if I can actually beat their times or if I simply suck. I'm not accusing anyone, I seriously DON'T! There's especially nobody from the zone I could even think of. But for me there's now a good sense of uncertainty in the air. Just wonderful... Anyone know what I mean?
    Let's do what we can and agree on keeping at least OUR records and races free from unfair advantages. I'll sign off with a hint to the honour code WOZ members have always been following.

Ben

Superb post Kekken. There is always uncertainty whether you`re seeing the effects of lag or custom firmware in certain situations, especially with regard to weapons, but you`ve summed it all up beautifully.