Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Plausible Ways To Spot a cheater

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I think everyone who has a slim psp can easily record races, even if it's on an old vcr tape!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Yeah-- just for shits, I think I'm going to try recording some races using my wife's digital camera, while playing with TV-out on my PSP slim. I'll just use a tripod positioned 5 or 6 feet from the TV, and slightly off to one side (so that I can actually play at the same time!).

BTW, Wipeout Pure and Pulse look really, really nice on a mid size'd 480p LCD screen. No doubt it'll look like ass if you have a giant HD TV but on a smaller TV, it's very nice.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    Yeah - both were ruined online by custom firmware cheaters.
    .....that's not entirely accurate...but I digress

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Tell me if i am wrong here SL or Rob but apart from real wellknown cheaters ( GoL & biscotteala : especially this fking last one who has tried to expand his how-to-do cheat on a french forum) those who are running the game through their custom firmware ( even set up as default like few of them said) generated a real pain in the arse when playing them online ( no offense to my fellow friends ) but that is true.
    ... ships not fully visible ( lack of frames due to running different speed of mghz ) weapons seems to have less effect on them ( time necessary to finally lock a missile on them or just see the rockets you shot are going through them and not have any impact and their ships)
    ... i remember a night with only 3 other pilots ( very talentous : no doubt at all) but laggy as hell : 2 of them where using CF. The same night with 7 pilots and their ships fully visible = no lag at all...

Id like to know from SL if what i am saying makes sense about CF : if not i ll stop whining

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NeXaR_QroN

I can't answer you 100% sure, but if everything is defaulted, I don't think it should make any difference. Except, of course, the loading times if running the game from the stick.

I don't think SL could answer you 100% sure either, that would be a question to ask to the CFW developer himself... also, it's not likely they test the game on other FWs than the officials, right?

BTW, are CFW discussions not forbidden on this board?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by q_dmc12 View Post
    .....that's not entirely accurate...but I digress
    It is as far as I'm concerned - when folk are shooting you through walls from the other side of the map in SOCOM, the game is ruined. You cant be doing that with official firmware and an unhacked version of the game. Therefor, custom firmware equips the cheaters to do as they like and ruin the game for everyone else.

If there was no custom firmware then you wouldn't be having your online WipEout games ruined by cheaters. It's a cancer - anyone enjoying the slim benefits it might give them is doing so at the expense of all the damage it's doing out there. Dark Alex and those like him can die in a fire.

I completely agree about the custom firmware. I would have thought blocking it somehow from online would be the only foolproof way of stopping cheaters. Tackling it on a case by case basis just isn't practical when numbers increase and it means that Sony (or whoever) can only react after people have already cheated, meaning they'll be a step behind.

Blocking out modded machines worked on Live.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I hve no problems with custom firmwares as long as you use them with good purpose. Where's the problem if I play WO3SE on my PSP as long as I own the game and it's not in the online store? And where's the problem if can make in-game screen from every game? Or play my old N64 games on the go? The list is endless.
    Custom firmwares can be a lot fun and enjoying - I had one as well.
    It's always the way you use it that makes things good or bad. And that doesn't count for custom firmwares only.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    If there was no custom firmware then you wouldn't be having your online WipEout games ruined by cheaters.
    Cheaters will find a way to cheat, no matter what. If custom firmware didn't exist, they'd find another way to do it.

And by the way, blocking modded machines *didn't* work on Live either.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Agree with Foxy. I hate custom firmwares and people who create them I do wish Sony could close them down, but when one arsehole goes out of business another group comes along and continues. Heres hoping HD can cut down on cheats if not eliminate them. I've not really experienced much cheating online with the PS3 as such.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Misplaced hate.

The problem isn't custom firmware, it's publishers that assume their games won't be stripped down and hex-edited by nosy kids (which is the case with Pulse), so don't take the precautions to safeguard their code as a result.

Custom firmware, while I recognize represents the PSP equivalent of the antichrist to some of you, is responsible for some of the recent innovations (custom themes and memory stick playable games) that you are currently enjoying, all the while oblivious of precisely who influenced those innovations. Nobody who owns a PSP is a world apart from either custom firmware or the residual influences of it.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 2nd January 2008 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    Custom firmware... is responsible for...
    ...also facilitating the use of cheats in Pulse, as you said in the previous version of the post.

Personally, I don't think custom firmware is the antichrist. But, for all the good things (I won't dispute them), it also facilitates piracy and, now, cheating in Pulse. And even those who'll sing the praises of custom firmware and enjoy it without using it for piracy or cheating or anything dodgy know well what it is - unofficial firmware that Sony have no obligation to support or tolerate.

And being the current means to facilitate the cheating, locking it out of online games is a catch-all way of putting an end to it. Maybe hackers will find a way to cheat on official firmware after a while. Maybe they'll get the custom firmware undetectable online. But, in the meantime, there would be cheat-free games.

I support that DT, and also RR and Foxy 200% !! Whichever way anyone tries to swing it, CFW is a necessary condition of piracy and serious cheating. It`s indefensible to anyone committed to having the best possible chance of fair online play.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

[apologia]I hope all this talk about CFW won't be interpreted as discussing mentioned matter by infoxicated. Afterall the discussion is about ways to stop the cheating online.[/apologia]

Seeing that recent CFW even abuse Sony's updater to install the CFW itself(!), I don't think there's a way to spot those systems using one. They'd just tag it like Sony's and there you go. Whether or not hacked code made companies implement features officialy is a moot point, you just don't know what they would've come up with on their own, but it definitely keeps them on the go.

It's beyond me why some can't live with the fact that they have to create their own safe environment if they want to compete fair and square. It's like that in ANY sport. If you participate in public races and someone is cheating just quit or finish second, but I guess some get excessively nuts about their statistics, they'd even voluntarily submit to rigorous rules just to keep their stats clean I don't find another explanation.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

That's fine, and your position is an acceptable one, Lunar, but we default to having to qualify the statement by saying while most cheaters are custom firmware users, all custom firmware users aren't cheaters. Shades of grey. No cheating aside from misusing obvious glitches would be possible if software publishers locked their games down with adequate protection. To assume, whether consciously or unconciously, that some bored kid won't poke his nose into your code and publish his god mode codes online for other bored kids to find and use, is to assume dangerously IMO.

The Pulse hacks circulating were caused by opening a text file within the game and changing a few values, hacks made easier to execute with custom firmware, but in this case wholly not dependent on it. As far as I'm concerned, the ground zero source of the problem isn't the firmware, it's the game.

An untouched copy of Pulse played under custom firmware is no different (aside from loadtimes and single-player CPU speed options) than playing the game under official firmware. Those are the facts, but it appears people want to believe custom firmware automatically grants people godhood in every game loaded under it. Online, the disparity is reduced to nearly zero, with the CPU automatically downclocked by the hardware to match those of everyone else online with them. Granted they might end up waiting at the starting grid for your UMD to continue loading the level, but the overall advantage is far less than people think it is.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 2nd January 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Wholly not dependent on it? So how are people cheating without custom firmware? Compiling and pressing ther own UMDs?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

I didn't say they were -- I said custom firmware isn't a hard requirement to get this particular cheat to work. The manner in which these cheats have been "created" are firmware independent. They would work in official firmware too if people were pressing their own UMDs and some kid were selling them on the side at the local game shop, so the argument that the problem is custom firmware is tossed out by that logic. What does this reduce to? The open-book game being the problem, not the firmware.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 2nd January 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Yes and if they bred genetically-engineered elephants with PSP dev-kits built in they could cheat with those too. You're talking completely hypothetically. People aren't pressing their own UMDs and, unsurprisingly, they aren't breeding PSP dev-elephants. So neither point matters.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

I've seen at least one UMD pressing machine on Ebay within the last two months, so no, I do not speak hypothetically. And short of providing full-disclosure of precisely what the punks edited within the game, which does not require any degree of programming aptitude to spot and modify, your assumption that one requires programming skill to effect the hacks is the hypothesis. That isn't to mention that the person who is thought to be the author of the hacks is a major homebrew developer within the PSP scene, is another of the many assumptions that I feel the need to correct.

- F

I'm not sure I implied it takes programming skill to run the hacks at all, did I?