Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Plausible Ways To Spot a cheater

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Default @ BARTgai

Who knows, after all, if they're just kids, then I'm ashamed to be thirteen. If they're adults, then God 'elp 'em. Speaking of God, that - of - lord is absolute crap on Resistance: Fall of Man. I killed him 24 times in a row back in March![Though I'm crap now].
    Last edited by mdhay; 27th December 2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Corrected turd smiley

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NeXaR_QroN

Quote Originally Posted by BARTgai View Post
    then why the hell did they buy the game??
    What makes you think they actually bought it anyway?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Thx for the PM Mauro, i registered into their site and posted there to explain ( in french) why that guy is ruining our precious game, the 2 admins read me carefully and decided to edit his post and locked the thread. I googled his nickname to see if he was posting this elsewhere : i haven't found new posts.

Last night i also tested original demo disk ( my precious xmas gift from Dag) online , but it's not working at all , i access to a blank universe and only thing to do is to deconnect : good point with that .
    Originally i was suspecting the cheaters to use the demo online cause it's 15% faster than original Pulse umd and also because leech beam in that version is deadly too powerful ( like it's described in another thread) : hopefully it's not as simple as that , that is reducing the probabilities of seeing cheaters online.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

good to hear that, arno!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

Quote Originally Posted by NeXaR_QroN View Post
    What makes you think they actually bought it anyway?
    well, thats true. i saw some video of a guy who downloaded the full version in a torrent, and tried playing, but sucks badly. very sad how people have no lives...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    NeXaR_QroN

Quote Originally Posted by Asayyeah View Post
    Last night i also tested original demo disk ( my precious xmas gift from Dag) online , but it's not working at all , i access to a blank universe and only thing to do is to deconnect : good point with that .
    Originally i was suspecting the cheaters to use the demo online cause it's 15% faster than original Pulse umd and also because leech beam in that version is deadly too powerful ( like it's described in another thread) : hopefully it's not as simple as that , that is reducing the probabilities of seeing cheaters online.
    Maybe the adress/IP/whatever the game connects to is in a file within the UMD, and they managed to use the one from the final version with the demo?

I don't know if they did it that way, but I don't think it would be more complex than that, IF the game client version is not checked server-side.

Cheats are very easy to spot, particularly on the times rankings, and if Sony has the will to delete or block their PSN accounts then the problem will easily be solved. I knew GoL was cheating even before I had the game, as did many of us, so it`s not hard. It only requires Sony to want to stop them.

Maybe I`m imagining it, but doesn`t Xbox Live have a system whereby they can detect a hacked 360, and the user/system is banned from the service, thereby helping cut down on hackers and cheats? If Sony could come up with something similar it would be the ideal solution for everyone whose priority is playing a clean and fair game.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

That's MS's way of dealing with things. Punishing many for mistakes of a few.
    You can't ban thousands of diligent PSP owners that can handle their "customized" systems with responsibility, just because a handful can't.
    Any online game suffers from cheaters, that's what password protected games are for. The persistent cheat-free online world is an illusion, as long as games keep dividing good from bad players, i.e. make you compete. Competition is corrupted, get used to it Which shouldn't imply that I'm fine with it. It's just that there's no possibility to ban cheaters entirely, but enough options for those who want a clean environment to play in such.

I think MS`s approach is entirely reasonable. There`s no punishment involved if you just want to play the game as it was meant to be played and use your system on the basis it was sold. It`s a purely hypothetical point on which we won`t agree, but I don`t see why we shouldn`t be asked to make a choice: "customize" or play online. We weren`t offered both when we bought a PSP, and we`ve no right to expect both. I agree that every online game suffers from cheaters, but if we just accept it there`s little point having the feature. If people can cheat plenty of them will, and if allowed they will make a mockery of every popular online game in the end, in my opinion. Unless you whack them down with a very big stick you won`t stop them. But it`s only a theoretical argument, and I doubt we`ll ever have to make this sort of choice anyway.

PSN ID
    damonhill0

Is it actually against the PSP EULA or TOS to load custom firmware ontol your PSP? If it is, then Sony are quite within their rights to ban you from using it online.

Sorry it's about custom firmware, but it'd be interesting to know the answer.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Judging from the little red rectangle below your post counter you shouldn't be asking those questions, at least not here. And neither should I, what with having received my first infringement recently.

PSN ID
    damonhill0

Yeah, I noticed it too. No idea what is for if it is recent though. I noticed it before I made the above post. (At least I think I did, I could be mistaken)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I think MS`s approach is entirely reasonable... We weren`t offered both when we bought a PSP, and we`ve no right to expect both.
    Quote Originally Posted by rageagainstgeorge View Post
    Is it actually against the PSP EULA or TOS to load custom firmware ontol your PSP? If it is, then Sony are quite within their rights to ban you from using it online.
    agree with both of you.
    if that's the price to pay then be it!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    zerojay

Considering the fact that they silently support custom firmware and use custom firmware and homebrew users to see what features they should offer next in their official firmware updates, I do not see any blanket banning of custom firmware users happening.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    ... releasing the information online will encourage and facilitate the masses to try as well. I wonder what the equilibrial level of cheaters will be
    SOCOM: FTB 1 and 2

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Yeah - both were ruined online by custom firmware cheaters.

It might be that grouping together and organising games outwith the lobby system is the way to ensure that you're playing against folk you can trust.

Personally I'd freeze the PSN account of anyone who is proven to be a cheat. The trouble is always with proving it, though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Agreeing with Infoxicated; to prove the cheaters you must have screenshots or videos. The video's aren't that hard to make. But because you need TV-out to have a clear shot because there is no camera recording, makes it hard to verify. There isn't something like a PSN computer that monitors every race, right?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    o3pcah

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    It might be that grouping together and organising games outwith the lobby system is the way to ensure that you're playing against folk you can trust.
    thats also what ive encountered. games that were organized in the channel were the most exciting i had this far.
    1) you can talk to your "enemies" between the races (talk about what has happend, what track/class to chooose next
    2) people dont quit during a race
    3) the chance that people join the channel and still cheat is quite low

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Well, get on yer bike! Get in the irc channel!

I aqree that proof of cheating in online play is tough, but if someone submits obvious cheat times to the tables then that could be all the proof that is needed to take action, delete their times and freeze their accounts, and in the process they`ll be frozen out of the online game too.

None of this stops us playing online amongst known fair players, and that`s a great thing to have, but it`s a pity to see a few sickos try to spoil all the hard work that`s gone into certain features, like the rankings.