Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Plausible Ways To Spot a cheater

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Default Plausible Ways To Spot a cheater

Here are a few "things" that should not happen that I have spotted on my Feisar's maiden online voyage:

Bomb explosion at race start. Weapons get activated when you fly on an x pad. there are none on the grid.

Firing weapons without picking any up.
    I personally 'tailed' a player to find this.

Any more that I've missed?
    Last edited by mdhay; 26th December 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

regaurding the explosion at start. that is normal when someone has left the game, their ship is still there, but explodes at the race start

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Haven't been online with Wipeout Pulse as much as some other folks here...

But based on experience with other online racing games-- you can't NECESSARILY assume that another player's not appearing to go over a weapons pad necessarily means that they didn't go over the weapons pad.

You also can't NECESSARILY assume that if you appear to come in first place, but actually get a second place finish, that the other player is cheating.

The images displayed by your screen are your PSP's best guess about what the other player is doing, based on the information that it is receiving at any given moment. The other player's PSP has the final say about what was and wasn't done in the race.

The Mario Kart community when through all this in 2005/2006 when MKDS took the franchise online for the first time. No doubt there were (and are) real cheaters in MKDS, and also now in Wipeout Pulse, but you need to be cautious in interpretting what you are seeing the other player do on your own screen

Repeated use of turbos, however, is pretty damn incriminating...

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

@Bartgai: True, but this person did not leave at the start, but I seem to beleive he did not fire a bomb though, as I recognise the explosion type isn't from a Bomb, now.

@Frances_Penfold, I know I shouldn't have assumed, but I just want to physically obliterate anyone who cheats. No one might have as of yet, but I did put 'plausible' in the title.

Besides, as you say, quite agreeably, that a constant turbo is incriminating.If they want to be fast, why don't they just Barrel Roll off a jump? I do.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

incriminating high speed due to constant turbo : i agree
    Same for leech beam which drain your energy more than 25% of your shield and let your ship blow up 80% of the time.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I'd say more 5 seconds

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by mdhay View Post
    If they want to be fast, why don't they just Barrel Roll off a jump? I do.
    Agreed 100%

So have any of these putative cheaters uploaded their ghosts to the website? That would be a convenient way to study what they are up to.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

something is telling me they can't

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

Unhappy

I found a webpage in where this "biscottealacrevette", his name on that forum, shows a video of the hack working, they actually use an autopilot wich lasts for 9 seconds, interchange weapons and hack through walls.

I have the link with me but can't post, rules state no link to these kinds of sites.

Just hope SL can find a way to stop this, maybe a patch or something, because it will get massive for sure when it hits the US, since more players are bound to play online there...

Sad...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I was hoping that whatever was being done would be kept quiet, so only a few resourceful hackers would do it... releasing the information online will encourage and facilitate the masses to try as well. I wonder what the equilibrial level of cheaters will be

At least we can lock down tournaments to unknown, outsider participants.

I guess that is one thing that your guys' Kai sessions had going for them-- hacker punks aren't going to both to figure it out just to race with a handful of dedicated wipers.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

I'm just worried about the records tables, they are brand new, great idea to keep people interested in time trials will noe be abused by hackers... I hope it doesn't, but I'm afraid it will be filled with bullshit times and will lose credibility...

Damn kids... I just hate it when people ruin things like this...

I'm really working hard on my times, I even finished the game so far trying not to take any false time due to DNFs, this makes me mad...

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

yeh it seems to be spreading. besides lard_of_god and the bisquite git I've raced at leas two more suspected cheaters!

DjManiac, I hope you've sent that link to infoxicated in a PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

I will do it right away, probably he can forward it to someone in SL, it is in French so maybe I'll send it to Asa as well. Thanks for the idea

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Really well done for finding that link mate, hopefully something can be done to keep tossers like this out of the game. Cheating in a game is one thing as you're really only cheating yourself, but in a online game you're cheating everyone else who is playing fairly and that is right out of order.

Things noted from biscottealacrevette's video and Babelfished forum post:

-9 second autopilot without picking one up
    -picking up weapons whilst under autopilot control
    -a very long turbo boost (9secs perhaps) resulting in falling out of play area
    -99 shots from the cannon
    -Increased power from weapons

He used these in a pulse demo, but I'm guessing its whats being used in the retail version too.
    Last edited by Hyper Shadow; 26th December 2007 at 10:21 PM. Reason: translated his forum post to find something else out

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

^^
    You mean the old Pulse demo from summer 2007? Perhaps that is how the hacks became used so quickly following the commercial release of Pulse-- somebody illegally obtained the demo, hacked it, and then just waited for the retail version to ruin everybody's day.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

The increased weapon power would account for how some people have been killed by his leech beam while at full energy, so it makes real sense that this is what's being used in the full game

Please stay in accordance with Rob's policy; I suggest that you not discuss his activities in any more detail.

The guy is a hacker, not a racer.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

people who hack and cheat make me sick. if they are that bad at the game and dont want to improve by playing CORRECTLY, then why the hell did they buy the game??