Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 things I love about Pulse

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Allright, it's time for some WipEout lovin'!!
    This thread had left the first page for too long, hehe
    As I said here, I don't know all the aspects of Pulse yet, but I can still think of some things to list in this thread.

1. Playing Phantom! I just raced it for the first time in Pulse (Talon's Junction White in Grid 13). Blew up the first time, won the race the second time, and it instantly made me feel like writing this post

2. Zone mode. I love the fact that all tracks are available in Zone mode. I like the design of them, feels pure and cartoonish. And as someone said on these forums (can't remember who though), it is indeed very nice to discover at which speeds you'll fly when you reach Phantom. Whoever came up with this idea is a good man and will go to WipEout heaven.
    I can't remember which track it was but the other day, playing Zone made me feel like I was skiing. It was just great. I'd say it was one the tracks whose Zone counterpart is mainly white, which is very surprising.

3. The music. I am actually surprised to like it, because I don't listen to this kind of music, but it feels right with the game. Sometimes I'm fighting the AI trying to pass'em all b*stards , concentrated as much as I can, forgetting all about the music, and when (and if) I succeed, then I realize I'm moving my head like crazy , now paying all attention to the music and really enjoying it

4. The cartoonish graphics. It seems to me that it wasn't very appreciated by many people here, but I remember when I saw the first official video of Pulse, that's the first thing I liked. I loved the Omega pack, btw

5. I like the menu very much. I like the 3D ways in it. I like the grids' idea. There's always some symmetry to play with in them. I like the loyalty points, because it gives me a reason to play all ships to 100000. I like the stats bar. Because I like stats, because I like numbers. So Thank you SL for thinking about us numbers' weirdos

Considering I'm starting to talk sh*te, I believe it's time to stop here! Thank you SL for this game, I'm gonna play it for a loooooong time!!

What time is it now?
    WTF!!
    Break time is over and I only raced one track...
    Damned forum.

EDIT: It couldn't be helped, I had to race another track
    Arc Prime TT, I went over the right edge on the open section, and I thought "****."
    But I tried and pushed my ship to the left as much as possible, and actually went back on track! Such a nice feeling!!

That's it, really. A 6th point to the list
    Last edited by guillaume; 12th February 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: I played more.

PSN ID
    o_fluff

I am slightly concerned about how the hate thread is significantly longer than the love thread...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    VagabondArts

Talking

1- the darker tone of the game. Pure was a little too sterile and apple-esque. I appreciate the little bit of added grim-ness

2- I love the track designs and the multiple routes... I bet it was very hard for the team to narrow the track selection down to the ones on the UMD...
    The environments are a great improvement over pure. The track layouts remind me of the Delta tracks from Pure, which are some of the best in the game.

3- Ship design tool. such a cool feature... I mean, seriously awesome.

4- infrastructure mode. I've never played multiplayer wipeout that
    didn't have a splitscreen on it or two PS1's hooked together.
    8 player racing is amazing!!!

5- ship handling. I feel like I have much more control of my ship now.

6- no disruptor bolt.

7- mag strip sections. What can I say, it's like how Fusion should have treated their loops and vert sections rather than having the ships stick 100% of the time. WONDERFUL!

Yeah I know it's only 7. Granted, I've only got 7 or so hours into the game but these are the ones that stand out right now. After some more in-depth play sessions I'll edit my post and finish my top ten!

PSN ID
    MarcoM1972

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I am slightly concerned about how the hate thread is significantly longer than the love thread...
    That is because this is internet with low threshold to say BOOOO about everything.

On the other side, I hope the negative thread is being read by SL and appropiate actions are taken to produce WO love.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    It's as always: you see the negative things faster than the positives, cause you take postives for granted very fast. And I think "hate" is probably a harsh word. I just used it because it was inspired by the Fusion thread

Anyway, here's my list:

01. EG.X
    Hah! Thanks for bringing that back, people! Sadly no "pure" EG.r, but I can live with a EG.X very well Also good work with the ship design.

02. ONLINE MODE
    Haven't played it very much yet because of my bad WLAN connection here in my room, but I did it a few times and it's really entertaining. Shame there aren't many people online; they really miss some good races there! Especially with the custom leagues and stuff.

03. MAG LOCK
    Nice addition to the game. I do not like every part where it's used, but it led to a few very nice layouts. Vertica is just amazing. Phantom full speed over the hills and - bam - down the drop. That's just amazingly fast and fun!

04. CUSTOMIZATION
    Customizable skins, additional ship models, own music - that's the way to go! Very nice that is

05. THE GRID SYSTEM
    Finally a "career" mode. Very well done. Also the possibility to do your own grids and share them. Me likes!

06. DIFFICULTY LEVEL
    I remember that being mentioned as an idea at the 2007's Amsterdam WipEout Convention. I have no clue if it was already in the game at that point or if Studio Liverpool chose to add it after Clarko wrote down a few ideas we had. Anyway: Very good.

07. DESIGN ELEMENTS
    Though I like Pure's style more, Pulse has a few very nice enhenced design elements. The weapon and speed pads look far better than Pure's and the additional thrusters that light up after a turbo or a speed pad combined with the carefully used motion blur give you that little extra. I could mention a few other things such as the flashing laps of the ships, the transperent cockpits or glowing/transparent track parts at Talons Junction and even more.

08. THE ECS (Entertainment Confinement System)
    Yes I looked that up in the manual It's the shield around the track. That really is something I was looking forward to, as it adds a lot of realism to the game (at least to me). The collision effect is also really nice - though I don't understand why you don't lose any shields when you scratch it.

09. WEBSITE
    It's nice that the game doens't end with the UMD but goes further. Online tables and skin customization is very nice too see. It's great to see an online community besides the WOZ

10. USABILITY
    There are probably a few more points I could mention, but that's one that came to my mind just a second ago. I almost forgot it (remember what I was saying about taking positives for granted?). The usability really is a cut above Pure's. No more scrolling down again and again to take the last ship in the list. You just go up and you have the last item of the list. And the game remebers where you selected what the last time. Now I don't have to take my favorite ship after a lot of scrolling, but I just have to press X and have it selected. You go faster through the menus and that's really a benefit. The usablitiy of the menus (no matter if you like the design or not) is really far better than Pure's.

So that is my list. There are a few more things I guess. It's just like you forget so fast what's really so good with that game. Pulse is a very good piece of software indeed. I put my thumbs up for Studio Liverpool

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Brica

After more than 50 hours of gameplay, i think it's time for the Love/Hate thing. Here we go

1 - ship handling, team balance and loyalty points : this is the first time i've been trying all the ships according to the track. I've tried to get back to Pure and this is a major enhancement
    2 - infrastructure mode, records and stats : the game lacks a few features online but we're in the Love thread
    3 - the grid system and difficulty level: really helped me get into the game and feel at ease even on phantom, what is completely new for me
    4 - custom playlist : really nice point for music addicts
    5 - the skin editor : lacks features but i've seen plenty of great designs here - i'd really love to find time to get into it but i've already too much work as a graphic designer for a living
    6 - the new game modes : Speed Lap first, and i've never been a Time Trialer before Pulse…
    7 - the overall design : tracks / ships / menus
    8 - downloadable content : but free of charge or bugfree at least would be nice ! thanks. The tracks are some of the best and i really dig the Icaras concept
    9 - zone mode on actual tracks : perfect to learn the track layout and as a preview to the higher speed classes
    10 - the new interactive HUD : would be perfect with the proximity indicator from HD

Time for the Hate thread now…
    Last edited by tapioca; 16th February 2008 at 12:07 PM.