Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 things I love about Pulse

Default 10 things I love about Pulse

Thought there needs to be a bit of a balance here so here are my top ten favourite things in Pulse in no particular order -

1 - Skin Editor. Wonderful feature. I have spent almost as much on this as I have actually playing the game. I love it.

2 - Removal of Vector, the Driving Miss Daisy class.

3 - Bringing Zone back to the actual tracks. The Zone tracks in Pure were good because they were smooth and designed for the mode but the challenge of running the real tracks is where it's at.

4 - Goteki. In general, the ship design is all fanastic but I adore the current look of the Goteki. The colours are great.

5 - The reduction of performance difference in the ships. This, to me, makes it a little more fun to chop and change. Actually, just change. Not sure what the chop bit even means there.

6 - Bye bye Disruptor! May you never darken our WO doors again.

7 - Moa Therma. I love the track design in Pulse. Most of the tracks I think are great. Moa Therma stands out to me though because it seems to have everything - a great look, great implementation of mag strips and a smooth yet fun race. On top of all that, it works really well both ways.

8 - Mag strips: the contraversy of the Fusion feel. I think this could have been awful. I was so nervous when I heard about this. But they have been brought in sparingly and, importantly, where they'll have most effect. Splitting the strip in De Konstruct Black is brilliant.

9 - Infrastructure. No more explanation needed.

10 - The soundtrack. To me, it has much more identity than Pure's soundtrack. It feels unique, suits WO and yet without clinging to the past. The ability to add your own tracks is the icing on a great cake.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

1. Ship handling - the ships are well balanced, and the handling suits the traditional characteristics of each team without sacrificing parity. It's the best WipEout game for this aspect without question. Well done Col
    2. The environments, while not as varied as Pure, feel alive. Blue Ridge in Pure looked beautiful, but felt sterile and static. With the animation and the attention to detail in Pulse it lends so much to the atmosphere.
    3. Custom soundtracks. This addition is superb - I love having classic WipEout music playing when I'm racing, along with few choice tracks of my own personal preference.
    4. Audio - the front end music and the in-game environmental & sound effects are brilliant. Turbo activation and bomb explosion sounds deserve special mention.
    5. The race campaign progression. Although I've found most of the events a bit easy on medium, it has forced me to play alternate versions of tracks outside of my comfort zone. Plus it also means I don't have to play events I don't like in order to progress - I can skip all that zone mode nonsense and just get on with it!
    6. Mag-Strips & track design - the Mag-Strips add a new dimension to the tracks (literally, in some cases!), and they've reduced the barrel roll opportunities, so tracks with funky altitude changes don't become barrel roll festivals. The track designs in general are of a high standard - they make good race tracks, which is the most important aspect. Well done Col & Karl!
    7. Ship design - all of them are great and come across as evolutions of the FX300 League equivalents. I'm a huge fan of the EG-X, which I didn't like when I first saw it, but it works so well in game and looks like a traditional WipEout ship that I use it all the time. Goteki is ace, too. Well done Egg.
    8. Ship Skinning - I was a bit skeptical about this idea initially, but then the first couple of days I had the game I ended up spending hours tinkering with ship designs, and seeing some of the stuff that people are creating is just mind blowing. What a fantastic addition to create user generated content and stir up discussion in the community.
    9. Eliminator mode - I loved this in WipEout 3 and it's great to see it make a return.
    10. Infrastructure mode - this is superb - I could never be bothered with the hassle of acquiring the necessary hardware to make use of Xlink kai, so the seamlessness of online play in Pulse is just so cool. Well done network play team!
    11. The web based profile uploading is brilliant. I cant take any credit for that part of the official site, as it was Nico the server-side guy that got it all working.

Oooh. That's eleven!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Chrono11

1. Zone mode- it's perfect, everyone agrees, this is the way to do it. I love racing the tracks I normally are in, on Zone. Zone still keeps its distinctive feel, while still giving us the track. Awesome

2. Infrastructure- ...friggen awesome

3. Loyalty Points- I think this is the begining to something that can and should be expanded on in the future, whether it's Pulse's future, or in another game. I'd like to see more done with them, because they are so fun to collect.

4. Tracks- I love Pulse's tracks, much much more than Pure. Pure's tracks felt more compact and crunched together, where in Pulse, even the shortest tracks (Vertica, Basilica) don't feel cramped. The tracks themselves have more character, and I think mag strips do a lot to help that. Also, the tracks are really beautiful to look at, providing an amazing sense of atmosphere.

5. Mag Strips- I like them, quite a bit. They make boosting less impulsive and barrel rolls more tactical. Mag strips also give tracks a signature feature, like a large looping inversion or and vertical drop.

6. Skin Editor- The online editor is more than enough to let most people doodle on their ships, but the ability to copy the template, well thank you so much for that. Allowing the community to actively design the ships they spend so much time with, and develop strong bonds for, is an excellent way to make your player swoon. I know I am.

7. Rankings- When I'm not online, I'm in the grids (though not for long), and when I'm not there, I'm trying to smoke peoples times online. As long as the rankings stay legit, I think I'll be playing Pulse for awhile, trying to get my times as fast as possible. Ahh online self esteem is a beautiful thing.

8. Photo mode- this feels like something that we didn't ask for or need, but we got it, and now we love it. Though I have crashed once or so in photo mode, it's still something I like. You can create some really beautiful images with it as well, and as a photographer, it's become more like Pokemon Snap than a racing game =P

9. Music- as always rocks, and oh yea, you can import your own. This feature should be included in every game, but it's not, so hats off. Way to get it right.

10. Statistics- The stat page is one of the most entertaining things to read, period. Usually I take a look at it on my way out of the racebox or before I go online. It's good to know when I'm on my death bed, thinking about what I did with my life, I'll know exactly how much of my life was spent looking at the WipEout Pulse stat page. That'll be a sad moment.

Now this final thing I'll talk about isn't something I love just yet, however, I see alot of potential in it.
    10 1/2. Custom Grids- This is the future. A couple months from now, when the first pack has come and gone, everyone has finished off the regular campaign, and online racing needs a break, we'll all be looking for a challenge. Enter Custom Grids. I'm sure the wipeoutzone community will find itself constructing the most diabolical grids known to man in a matter of months. Now think about if we could place our own speed pads on a race...think about the immense racing replayablity there.

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    [*]Custom soundtracks. This addition is superb - I love having classic WipEout music playing when I'm racing, along with few choice tracks of my own personal preference.
    Queen per chance ?

(laughs and runs)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Thumbs up

1. I love the leech weapon. not for the leeching itself - it's like the drain from wo3
    and doesn't make sucha big damage, 10% ??
    what i love about it is the way it hands your @$$ to you!
    and that my friends, is the way the modern version of the classic wo1 Disruptor should feel!
    not like the messy abomination of pure ..
    here it is simply perfect! the long forlorn son finally found his way home!
    for next wipEout I'd sugest you make it a missile weapon and call it Disruptor
    luv the leech!

2. grafix - smooth!

3. steering/gameplay - smooth.

4. design/menues - smooth.

5. autopilot don't pick up other weapon while engaged - great!
    after all it is a weapon engaged. you don't pick up weapons while using the cannon, leech or mines right?

6. infrastructure - simply the Best!

yah, there's more .. just need to remember what it was ..

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

I think anything I could have said has been said already but here goes, ill keep things to a minimum;

1 - the graphic design (menus and logos etc.)

2 - the ships

3 - the ship handling physics

4 - the magstrip sections

5 - the weapons animations and sounds

6 - the website

7 - the improved AI

8 - the skin editor

9 - the soundtrack (standard!)

10 - infrastructure

PSN ID
    jacenat

1) the improved gfx engine. rock stable fps in zen zoning ... amazing
    2) black & white ... interesting idea to not just reverse them
    3) pack AI ... so much more action on medium and hard now
    4) grid campaign ... much more diverse than just running through one tourney after another
    5) soundtrack ... omg x-project pumps up my heartbeat everytime
    6) infrastructure
    7) online leaderboards
    the new hud
    9) the new statistics
    10) the new intro ... i know it's a cheesy reason, but i really dig it.

PSN ID
    technicolour

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    Queen per chance ?

(laughs and runs)
    Hey! What's wrong with Queen?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

*sigh*

I'm trying to go all of 2007 without hearing Bohiemian Rhapsody. It's been tough - this morning it came on the radio and I had to stick my fingers in my ears and get help to turn it off. Close one!

Anyhow, lets not drag this off topic.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Chrono11

I see a little silhouetto of a man,
    Scaramouche,scaramouche will you do the fandango-
    Thunderbolt and lightning-very very frightening me-
    Galileo,galileo,
    Galileo galileo
    Galileo figaro-magnifico-
    But Im just a poor boy and nobody loves me-
    Hes just a poor boy from a poor family-
    Spare him his life from this monstrosity-
    I couldn't resist. I'm sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    Queen per chance ?

(laughs and runs)
    'Ogre Battle' from Queen II. Great track.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen - great game !!

--------------------------

7. the mines and bombs
    a) can be blown away with a quake or missiles/rockets!
    b) damage your ship as well
    c) don't stay till the next lap

that's just Awesome
    Last edited by zargz; 24th December 2007 at 10:32 PM.

}offtopic> Yes, March of the Black Queen is great also.

}back ontopic>

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by zargz View Post
    7. the mines and bombs
    (...)
    c) don't stay till the next lap
    wrong Pavel, they don't stay till YOUR next lap but you can be hit by a bomb from someone else who is slower than you and who spotted it the lap before.
    And that craps cause when that bomb exploses close to your ship this one is damaged and slows down due to it.

damn i am completely inverting the threads ( into the 'hate' topic i put some positives and now in the 'love' thread i put some 'negatives' ...

i ll give you my 10 'luv' points damora ( huh! i am copying zargy )

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

but I think that's okay!

just hours ago I lapped someone for the 1st time
    just before the start of the last lap on the line there was a bomb aw! Boom!
    right into it I went and veery surprised but some seconds after when I passed him/her
    I thought it was ok coz the guy had just deployed it

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    Stardragon88

1) Custom playlist! It's nice to be able to add some of my favourite tracks from Pure.

2) Mag-strips. They make for some interesting tracks, the vertical section in Metropia Black comes to mind.

3) Infrastructure mode, don't think this one needs explaining!

4) The online ranking site, it's nice to see how you match up compared to the rest of the world.

5) Ship skin editor.

6) Loyalty points.

7) No more Vector class

8 ) I really like how you can see your speed class in Zone mode, and naming the one after 'Super Phantom', 'Zen' was really fitting.

9) No more disruptor bolt

10) The EG-X concept ship! It looks really pleasing from the back when you're racing with it, whoever designed it deserves a cookie.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

heh, i have yet to unlock any concept ships

anyways...

1. It is so friggin smooth! Everything in the game is, the tracks, ships...everything!
    2. Leech Beam, that thing is soooo cool
    3. the new ships, way better designs than pure
    4. Online, i played a few matches, had a wonderful time
    5. skin editor, i've always wanted to add my own touch
    6. the music owns lol, and i can add my own
    7. The new female voice, pure's was waaay too annoying
    8. Race Campaign, way better than pure's, if pure even really had one...
    9. Zone mode, very nice i even got to zen a few times lol
    10. loyalty points and unlocks, motivates me to finish each event in the grid on hard

11. (oops too many lol) the AI is way better. when i drop a bomb and look back, the computer will avoid it and not just fly into it because it is on its AI path

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

8. Gotta luv the force shield around the track - no more cheezy shortcuts!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Yet less realism as well. I like the way the wall keeps you racing when drifting off course, but then falling off the track has always been so WipEout... Plus, I can't shake the feeling that SOMEtimes taking a shortcut over the wall at the apex of a turn makes you go faster. If that was true, I wouldn't be a fan of the fact. Maybe hitting the force wall (forgot what the manual calls it) should slow you down just a bit more in future incarnations.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I think it even does not make any damage to your ship - that's a bit strange.
    Though, I just love the effect when something is hitting these invisible walls. That also adds more realism to it, as weapons won't hit any buildings (or spectators!) anymore. Can't wait to see that in WOHD. This time in blue, please