Thread: Your connection speed : Lag while playing online

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    KANDANG

Default Your connection speed : Lag while playing online

howdy, i'm on a 24mbps line at the moment and don't experience lag while i'm playing online. However I see ships floating at weird angles at times (already stated by someone on the board).

Just wanted to find out if anyone is on a 256/512k or 1.5mbps line?
    Does it lag or gameplay is fine.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    o3pcah

i think the problem of todays players rather is the latency than the bandwidth.
    so it actually makes no difference if you got a 24mbps line or a 12mbps line if the latency is the same.

i also saw many floating ships and sometimes i don't know if it's me or them floating around. what i mean is, that to you it can seem like youre not laggin, but the others see you floating around, too. but im not sure
    Last edited by orgy; 20th December 2007 at 12:07 AM. Reason: too many typos, im tired :(

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Yeah, I`ve seen alot of floaty ships but as long I can hit them, so I can pass them.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Can't speak for Wipeout Pulse specifically-- but because of lag, online racers in general do not and cannot keep track of exactly where everybody else is all of the time. The game itself has to do some estimating, and then displays these estimates on the screen. As more information is available the position and the actions of the other vehicles are updated appropriately.

When there is lots of lag, more estimations are required and you will see the other vehicles jump around and do weird ****, as the game balances its estimates with the data that is (too slowly) coming in. In all likelihood, if your opponents seem to be jumping around erratically, that is how YOU look on THEIR PSP as well.

In Mario Kart DS, there were consistent errors that could be expected, regardless of lag. For example, folks taking shortcuts across the clouds in Sky Garden would ALWAYS appear to fall of the track when most of the time, they had successfully completed the shortcut. The result was the appearance of a fall kart, followed by its popping back on the screen a moment later. It was also common to APPEAR to have come in first place, only to be assigned second place a few moments later-- this was because the estimated position of your opponents on your console had been wrong, and the updated position pushed you behind them.

I'm no expert about this so maybe someone from SL or whatever can jump in and feel free to correct me here!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I'm on a 512/64k down/up (that's kbps), and haven't had any problems. Granted, I've only played a few games so far, but on a 5 player grid everything was smooth and perfectly playable. In fact, I am surprised how good this game plays online.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I've experienced some minor lag problems while playing pulse online like ships being displayed in some strange angles on the track but nothing quite as serious like on kai where sometimes ships just disappeared right after the start and you couldn't hit them with weapons anymore... Pulse's online feature is the best one I've experienced for any game so far.