Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout-Game.com rankings tables

PSN ID
    damonhill0

Default Wipeout-Game.com rankings tables

Hi All

Thought i'd start a thread for discussion of the record tables on wipeout-game.com.

I'm mostly practicing at Moa Therma White Venom at the mo. Just getting to grips with the controls for now. I'm down to a 35.60 in a Pirahna. I've got no records in yet but i'm hoping to get a router this weekend and start uploading stats then.

I've noticed that there is a time at the top of the single race best lap rankings far ahead of anyone else on this track. Not wishing to accuse anyone of cheating but it is 10 secs faster than anyone else. How's this possible?

PSN ID
    jacenat

Quote Originally Posted by rageagainstgeorge View Post
    I've noticed that there is a time at the top of the single race best lap rankings far ahead of anyone else on this track. ... How's this possible?
    not many people have sendt in their stats. also, keep in mind that there are some track/speedclass combinations that don't occur in the singleplayer campaign at all. you have to do racebox races to get listed there and currently almost everyone is still finishing the campaign grid.

btw, what track are you referring to?

Fair point, Jacen, it`s very early days, but if we look at Moa Therma White/Time trial/Best race/Venom the leader is clearly not playing fair :- Moa Therma is a nice simple track on Venom, you just don`t get 10 seconds on the names in the top 10 on a track like that in a slower ship.

It`s brilliant though that there are already 427 players on this particular page, and the top 12 are all WZ pilots.

On the main page of the site it mentions that inaccuracies are a known problem. It will be fixed -

"We are aware that there are inaccurate times being displayed in the Single Race / Best Race records table"

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    ...the leader is clearly not playing fair :- Moa Therma is a nice simple track on Venom, you just don`t get 10 seconds on the names in the top 10 on a track like that in a slower ship...
    That's a good point, I think it's possible to knock some seconds away by having a good race, with smart autopilots , but I just find it fishy in some way.
    I didn't want to mention anything about this since I'm actually second behind that, and it would sound as if I was only bitching about it.

Anyways, as an example, try a Feisar and work Talons Junction record with Feisar, you will see how unreal it looks to have set a time like that, I'm not accusing of cheating, it's just eerie to get such great times so early in the game, keeping in mind that these records were set just a couple of days after the site was lunched.

Let's see, I just hope everything goes smoothly for everyone interested in Pulse, and hope to be wrong about that record

PSN ID
    damonhill0

This is why i didn't want to accuse anyone but it does look odd. I wasn't talking about the best race time btw. It's the fastest lap set in a race that in 10 secs faster.

I'm hoping that he is just incredibly good at the game and not a cheater. Maybe like Asayyeah 2097 good (found a shortcut maybe)

I am ignorant about the PSP games since I don't have a PSP, but I still want to ask: Is it possible that a custom firmware could give anyone an advantage on pulse, since it presumably already runs at the best framerate possible?

PSN ID
    technicolour

If Custom Firmware is giving an advantage, it's not because of the framerate, I believe pulse uses the PSP maximum of 333mhz, unless I'm mistaken CFW isn't able to use higher frequences than the PSP's standard.

Edit: Sorry Lance! Force of habbit, I'm really trying to kick it.
    Last edited by Fascia; 19th December 2007 at 05:26 PM.

PSN ID
    damonhill0

Pulse does use 333mhz which is the max. On custom firmware you could have other software running alongside the game, or possibly have ripped the UMD and tinkered with the files in the ISO. No idea if you could edit the files and get the game working again but it could be possible.

Fascia: Stop quoting the post right ahead of your own. I sent you a PM about this days ago, and have edited the quote out of many of your subsequent posts with a note telling you to stop doing this sort of quoting and to read the forum guidelines. None of this has stopped you, so I'm putting this notice right here in public

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I don't have a PSP
    Wat?

Somebody get the man a PSP so he can play Pure and Pulse

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Last time i looked at the rankings I was suprised to see someone was better than Assayeah (correct me if i spelt it wrong!).

@FP: It doesn't matter that I don't have one; you guys would kill me in head-to-head racing. And anyway, I don't have broadband, nor wireless access. Too many higher priorities.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    Is it possible that a custom firmware could give anyone an advantage on pulse, since it presumably already runs at the best framerate possible?
    Not outright I imagine, since large parts of the game in either case are loaded into RAM and fed through the PSP's processor from it. The difference if any is probably less than negligible so as to make no discernible difference aside from initial load times, considering the game loads from somewhere other than the UMD in the case of custom firmwares.

However, custom firmwares facilitate cheating through a certain piece of homebrew software and codes that could yield all sorts of ugliness, like unlimited autopilot, etc. Very unfortunate but true.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 19th December 2007 at 06:49 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

This sort of stuff is exactly what I expressed concern about some time ago before the game was out. The reason why I was hoping that Pulse tables would appear on the zone. As we can easily spot fake times or at least ask for some form of proof if some new guy comes along and sets hard to believe times with a Feisar. Lets hope the official tables get their issues sorted and don't end up loosing their credibility.

I wonder if it would be possible to build security into a future firmware update, and somehow make that firmware compulsory for entering times on wipeout-game.com and for playing online.

Even if it is possible to cheat, I don`t think it`s necessarily a disaster. Cheats aren`t difficult to spot, and it just means a bit of human intervention would be required to keep the tables clean and weed them out. You could cheat your way from 500th to 50th, but who would care and who would bother? You could cheat yourself into massive leads but no-one would believe you.To cheat convincingly, beating the best honest pilots by just the right amount to appear believable could be such a difficult task that it might be more effort than the average cheat would be prepared to take on. The honest players, who are by far the majority, could just crack on with the racing.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I did check my Pulse`s records on my psp, but there is a problem, because, I just noticed three of Flash class records are wrong due ships exploded while racing and actually updated it! and I decided to test it, hopefully to prevent it, but does not work and stays there.
    Just the same as Pure.

stevie

Edit I will need a new profile, so I can update new legal records. It`s the only way.
    Last edited by stin; 19th December 2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Been thinking while driving.

Is it still only in multiplayer that this happens? If so we`ll just have to remember to reload our profiles when we quit and before the next save if we blow up in multiplayer. These times are fairly easy to pick out. If someone`s best race is less than 3 x best lap then it must be wrong.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Actually, it`s nothing to do with multiplayer and I do believe they don`t count. It`s a single race or Tournament, which is causes the main problems.

stevie

Yes you`re right Stevie I`ve got Talons Junction White and De Konstruct white in Flash records with laps missing after eliminations in single player, and buggy low times. I`m not going to restart my profile every time I blow up. It means that single race records in Pulse are almost pointless Unless there`s a fix somehow, this is pretty much the only one thing I could find for the "things you hate" thread, a real shame.