Thread: #wipeoutzone IRC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default #wipeoutzone IRC

IRC is like a big chat room, devided into channels. It can be really handy to set up racing tournaments and races.

You can join us on the irc.quakenet.org server in #wipeoutzone (port is the default 6667).

If you have never used IRC before, I have a guide for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoulette
    IRC n00b GUIDE

For PC users who have never used IRC (to download the mIRC client):

1. go to
    http://mirc.com/
    2. click on 'Download mIRC'
    3. pick a mirror, any mirror
    4. When the box pops up, hit 'Save' and select whatever folder you like to save chat programs in. Or make a whole new one!
    5. Once it downloads (and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes) find that folder you put it in.
    6. Run Install
    7. When it offers, tell it to Launch mIRC.
    8. Either register or just continue (up to you at this point)
    9. Fill in forms however you like. REMEMBEr, if in doubt about a form, just leave it blank/as is. The only form on the general Connect page that really matters is your Nickname. Suggestion: use your forum handle or PSN name to make you recognizable.
    10. In the left menu, go to Servers.
    11. Scroll to and select any of the Quakenet server categories.
    12. CONNECT to Server
    13. either add #wipeoutzone to your channel list, or close channel selection window and enter /join #wipeoutzone
    14. Enjoy our magnificent presence!

Note - there are many different IRC chat clients so you don't have to use mIRC. I, for one, use the IRC client bundled with Trillian and the set-up process is similar. All you really need is the server info, a nickname, and the channel name.

Quakenet Account Registration

In IRC, type: /msg Q hello. This will make the Q bot talk to you. Just follow the directions, and if you have any questions, ask in this topic or in #wipeoutzone.
    I haven't wrote this guide, Rhoulette made it
    Source (by Rhoulette!)

I have set the channel so that you can change the topic when you start racing. To do this you right-click in the main screen (where the chat is) and select "channel modes". A window will pop up and you'll see the line "Topic History:". When you go online, you should edit your name in the topic, like this :"Racing: [zargz, stin, rageagainstgeorge] game: [zargz;woz]"(nevermind the "square1" part, it's the black color). I used zargz, stin and rageagainstgeorge in this example, with the WOZ tournament hosted with name "zargz and password "woz".
    The main topic format is:
    Code:
    Racing: [name1, name2, name3, xxx] game: [gamename;password]
    If you have any questions regarding this point, ask in the topic or on IRC.

You could also use the Web Applet (thanks Orgy!). This doesn't require anything but a browser and Javascript, but it is slower and doesn't give you the mIRC advanced options.

Quote Originally Posted by shunjalo View Post
    Or, if you use Firefox, this. It's an IRC addon, ChatZilla.

Quote Originally Posted by orgy View Post
    Code:
    Windows users in general can use Mirc.
    for linux users i recommend Xchat.

Hope to see you guys online soon!
    Last edited by Neverdown; 21st December 2007 at 09:17 PM.