• Can't decide.

2 4.17%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3d or 2d hud?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    AoNekoAmaru

I use the Concave HUD for its more realistic cockpit feel but usually stick to the Close View. My goal is to use the Cockpit view as I find it more immersive. :3 However, I really regret it doesn't show parts of your ship and/or the inner cockpit hardware in the Cockpit view. =^.^;= That is usually the main reason as to why I would only play the inner view in a racing game.

PSN ID
    MarcoM1972

I am trying the cockpit view with Concave Hud. Actually it really immersive. I like it that way.

Let's see how long it takes for me switching back to close view again.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

even though i dont have the game yet, seeing from pics and whatnot, i prefer the 2D hud. Les complex and easier to read than the curvy one. dont get me wrong, i think the 3D hud looks very nice, but i just dont think i could use it

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    AoNekoAmaru

This is somehow how I'd want the inner cockpit view to look like: http://pspforum.cedacia.com/egx_fullcockpit.jpg
    So I really wouldn't say I'm after useability but rather "realism". XD

The problem with most inner views such as the one in WipEout Pulse is that they are more front views just above the ground, which doesn't really reproduce a cockpit feeling but does give more of a speed feeling. :3
    Last edited by Amaru; 20th December 2007 at 01:05 AM.

PSN ID
    jacenat

do you guys really read the hud that often?
    i use the 3d hud because i have additional reference to when i hit a wall. but i must admit, that sometimes the blurring effects blur out entire quarters of the hud or more for at least a second. thats kinda annoying.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    BARTgai

lol, i think i know how you got the cockpit view

1: took a photo ingame (duh)
    2: imported to photoshop
    3: took a screen looking forward inside the cockpit in the ship skin editor
    4: put them together and added a blur effect to cockpit

Am i right?

Very cool though , that would be awesome if thats what the internal view was like

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    AoNekoAmaru

Exactly, BARTgai. ;P

The inner cokcpit hardware in my "prototype" is basically just a 2D pasted on a layer right behind the HUD. Ideally though I'd prefer it to be 3D so you could see the lighting/reflections of the race on the hull (and see every weapon you fire at your opponents right in the middle of your screen, which could be "realistically" disturbing when loading a Plasma XD). :3 Playing with this picture however also made me realize that even if I prefer the concave HUD for its more immersive feel it still doesn't really fit right with the way my EG.X's cockpit glass is designed.

Default 2D for me

I'm new to Wipeout since getting a PSP and Pure in late 2005. I played Pure completely (well, to about 220 golds) in cockpit/internal view as I thought it was such an immersive experience to really FEEL all those banking turns as you take them. Now I'm playing Pulse the same way, as I find it very difficult to control the ship in third-person view. It is possible to do well in cockpit/internal view as I just managed to rank 3rd place with it on the Pulse rankings for Metropia Black / Venom / Time Trial.

As for the HUD. I'm a 2D convert as the PSP can't anti-aliase the text properly and it's not as easy to read.

Huw

Timezone
    GMT -2
    PSN ID
    Stew2000

I will always use interior view. seem to get alot better times with it. the only downside is that it's too low to the ground.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Flat HUD, internal view for me, thank you. Been using internal view ever since 2097, and can't imagine playing any other way.

PSN ID
    MarcoM1972

Hmzzz... after a short period of internal view, I switched to close view again. Together with the concave hud it is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaru View Post
    However, I really regret it doesn't show parts of your ship and/or the inner cockpit hardware in the Cockpit view.
    Me too! It was something I wanted to do, right at the start of the project. I even did some demo videos, using Pure playbacks with a cockpit model superimposed. The idea was that 'you', the ship and the track would all move independently - think of the way your head moves when you're on a rollercoaster, as it tilts and dips.

And it looked great! You got a brilliant sense of motion and speed. But again, it would've been a strain on the schedule because it also involved an extra layer of programming. In addition, I was determined that the HUD should be built-into the cockpit console (not floating in front of it), which meant I couldn't really build anything until the HUD was finalised. In the end, other things took priority.

Shame, though. Next time, definitely.

Sounds like you got really ambitious this time, Egg! I'd love to see some of those ideas implimented. Having unique inner cockpits would be stunning. It would really make you feel like you're there. Great idea.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

Didn't WO3 have some this kind of view? I found it totally unplayable. Especially because so much of the screen was filled with (imo) useless graphics. Hard to see properly when cornering, etc.

Timezone
    GMT -2
    PSN ID
    Stew2000

I hope Wipeout HD has a real cockpit view. just be silly if it doesn't.

It (WO3) did ... and they cheated like mad, because the front of the ship beyond the cockpit wasn't visible. Obviously some of the ship designs would restrict your view to the extent where this cheat was a necessity - the Auricom or Assegai prongs, for example, would block your peripheral vision.

I didn't want to cheat, which was another reason the cockpit view never came to be. The ships themselves would have to be redesigned for consistency ...

Timezone
    GMT -2
    PSN ID
    Stew2000

If parts of the ship obstructed your view, the devs should of thought about that when they made the ships

The ships are pretty, not practical, heh.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bloseth

I think the whole cockpit-view is uninteresting until true VR-consoles hit the market

Timezone
    GMT -2
    PSN ID
    Stew2000

When HD comes out i'm sure some crazy person with alot of money will make a real cockpit to sit in