Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playlist won't play MP3s

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Default Playlist won't play MP3s

The title explains it pretty well.
    I've imported a few of my own MP3s into the game and a few don't work. Yes, the music is at the right place, otherwise the playlist would not even show the tracks.
    When I play the tracks in the playlist menu all I get is nothing or the first second of the track repeating itself over and over again.

Something wrong with the MP3s? Too big? Or what's the case with them?

Please help!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    qirex

i have 57 mp3s on mem stick but only about 40 show up. I dont know why the others wont even show, however the ones that show up play flawlessly.

I would try convert them ( dbPowerAmp ) with different settings to different bitrates until the play... or play around with the filenames?!?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

1st I thought the problem were the filenames, yes. If they are too long the full name won't show. But I have tracks that have too long filenames and they work. And then some non-working tracks have short enough names but they don't work nonetheless.
    Ah and you can only use up to 30 own tracks in the game. That's what the manual says. If it's actually 40 they may changed that later when the manual was already done.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Spaces in the file names? Dashes or odd characters?
    Last edited by Lance; 14th December 2007 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Redundant quote removed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    qirex

no its 30 is correct
    didn't thought about the 16 original ones

well compare bitrates, vbr settings and stereo - joint stereo settings maybe. But for me its working with vbr and highest bitrate settings...

or maybe one of the devs can comment?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ZenDJiNN

I've added about 16 tracks of my own & removed most of the original tracks that came with the game (just to experiment) and it all works as it should. Great fun listening to your fave tunes while doing Time Trials or Zones etc.

Oh, and they're a variety of bitrates, mostly encoded at either 256 - 320k by myself from a variety of CD's. So maybe if there's a problem then it's some kind of strange coding, or split stereo or somesuch.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

I think it's the same thing that usually used to happen with Window Media Player, it simply can't read certain mp3's for whatever reason.

Be sure you check your tags, bitrate, sample rate, etc., you might need to tweak your mp3's so they work.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Brica

I've spent much time solving this issue yesterday and here's what i found :

- the mp3 sample rate must be 44Khz in stereo (22Khz or others don't work in Pulse, although it can be played in the PSP's XMB. It's been very confusing to me at first, but i guess it has to match other Pulse sounds sample rate)

- some mp3 encoders signatures don't work (LAME is OK, iTunes too…, but i happened to cut some tracks in an external audio editor - Peak - and the resulting mp3 didn't play in Pulse). In this case, just re-encode it with your favourite app.
    I can't tell for Window Media Player, as i'm on a mac.

- long track names don't seem to be an issue (Pulse just doesn't display the entire name).
    - i didn't find anything special related to mp3 duration, bitrate (tried from 48 to 320Khz), special characters
    Last edited by tapioca; 14th December 2007 at 06:39 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

This makes perfect sense. Of the 12 I put in the WipEout folder - 5 were 66khz and will not play.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Wow, Tapioca, thanks for that helpful analysis!

(Still don't have the game yet but I will refer to your post when I am working on assembling my custom soundtrack...)

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Just to clarity where does this WIPEOUT folder go? I've tried the PSP->MUSIC->WIPEOUT and MP_ROOT->MUSIC->WIPEOUT just to be sure, MP3s meet the specs above but they don't even show on the playlist

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

It need to be on the root of the memory stick, so it's a folder on its own outside the MP_ROOT and PSP folders

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    qirex

<YourDriveLetter>:\MUSIC\WIPEOUT

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, I sees. How easy, how could I have interpreted that wrong...

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Quite easily actually, I did that the first time as well

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

So I imported the tracks that didn't work to Audacity and saved them as MP3s again (Audacity used LAME for that).
    And in Pulse's playlist I can now see these tracks twice, though one of them shows just the track's name (no Tags etc, just the file's name) and the other one shows the same name, just with an "._" infront of it (for example: I see "Switchback" in the playlist and then again "._Switchback").

And now I'm very confused.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Brica

Let me guess… You're on a mac like me. I used to have this problem with my mobile first (a sony with memory stick) and found a cure for it. This is due to invisible files that only macs can generate.
    Just use that little software and you're done with it : http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16996

(BTW i love Switchback and its "old B-movie" UFO sound…)
    Last edited by tapioca; 15th December 2007 at 09:30 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -6

tapioca, thank you for that program. I have been looking for something that would remove those files.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

For such a basic thing I prefer an Automator workflow in my contextual menu (for example I have one for .DS_Store files) instead of a standalone program that seems to phone home.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

You're right, I'm on a Mac. Thanks a lot, tapioca!